collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Incredibly Press-ed off again  (Read 2175 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
Re: Incredibly Press-ed off again
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 11:07:25 PM »
Unfortunately I can only agree.

The actual result would have almost been a sideshow against anyone else, compared to the focus on Sherwood and his tactics and game management (or lack off).

You rightly say he should have and largely did start the season on a wave of goodwill and hope. As you note and others have said elsewhere that could run out pretty quickly.  I can't imagine too many people having the appetite for another 2 or 3 years playing Russian roulette with our PL survival when we want to and should be focusing at least a little higher.

We've tried the slow and steady and almost paid the price.  There's a bit of impatience in the air now and it could well be him to pay the price.

I'm not expecting Fox to "flip the coin" any time soon, but I do expect him to be checking regularly that he hasn't got one that says "Heads You Win, Tails I Lose"

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 11:14:51 PM »
Spot on there.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 12:32:24 AM »
All very true, Dave. At the beginning of the season there was lots of goodwill for Sherwood despite the way last season ended, but he's losing it rapidly. That was very evident around me on the Holte on Saturday. The team could have been a Lambert side, with the sideways passing, absence of a coherent strategy and lack of creativity. The remaining goodwill will diminish drastically if we lose to Blues.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 01:14:39 AM »
Sherwood is Fox's man so I imagine things would have to get pretty bad (i.e. More than five points adrift at the bottom at Christmas but with Sunderland around I can't see it quite getting that bad) before taking action.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 09:53:53 AM »
As always the post match thread was full of doom mongering and calls for Sherwood out (which is understandable when emotions are running high) but I think it is imperative we dont all "lose our shit" and get on the managers back. We have a relatively inexperienced manager who needs to make mistakes so he can learn from them. We have a brand new squad, most of who are new to the country. On top of that we have a few decent players from the old regime who have now had 4-5 years of getting their asses handed to them so its no wonder their heads go down when the chips are down.
Christmas is the absoulte minimum amount of time he should be allowed...A culture cannot be changed overnight. Lets not forget either, its an old adage that you shouldnt change too much too quickly but he has had this fall on him due to the previous years of ineptitude which left us with a lower end of the Chamionship squad and our two best players leaving a couple of weeks before the season started.

He could have spent the money on players along the lines of Charlie Adam, Kaboul, Sidwell, Glen Johnson, Peter Crouch etc who would have had a better shorter term impact but we would only be in the same mess a couple of years later and would have continued in our seemingly endless cycle of turmoil with Sunderland and Newcastle. We need to change how we do things.

Lets give the new lads a chance, hold our nerve, get behind the team and manager and see where this goes.

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 09:55:46 AM »
Sherwood is Fox's man so I imagine things would have to get pretty bad (i.e. More than five points adrift at the bottom at Christmas but with Sunderland around I can't see it quite getting that bad) before taking action.

I usually see Sunderland as a gauge of how shit we are. We seem to be turning into the Midlands version of them which is utterly depressing.

Offline levico

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 10:03:20 AM »
About sums it up, Dave.

I agree that Christmas is the cut off point before something needs to be done but my only concern is that this quite evident 'losing culture' may mean that we could face a very steep uphill battle by then even with drastic action, whatever that may be.

There's also the 'Blues factor' - if we lose tomorrow Tim will lose substantial goodwill from the fans and that will make his job even harder.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 10:13:41 AM »
Spot on Dave. The worrying thing for me was the lack of a reaction on saturday. I expect a TS team to be fired up, offsetting some of the technical shortcomings.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 11:58:22 AM »
Lets remember no team has ever got relegated in September etc etc...... but we appear to be sowing the seeds of an eventual relegation at some point in the near future, maybe this coming May.
I wasnt keen on Sherwood from the outset but was (am) willing to give him an opportunity to turn this around. That said, the initial swagger and confidence is beginning to wane already.
My concern that if he does get the push, before or after Christmas, who would be prepared to pick up the poisoned chalice.
It says much about our current plight that Alladyce is a potential credible replacement.
It is mooted that our owner is once again losing his his enthuisiasm for the club and there appears no sign of a takeover anytime, let alone anytime soon.
Our recent losses to lower league opposition in cup ties does not auger well for tomorrow, but lets not lose sight of the fact that league points are more important than beating the rags. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 01:08:12 PM by villa `cross the mersey »

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 12:04:16 PM »
I like the sort of signing TS has made and sometimes we have played some great football.

The substitutes have been ridiculous at times and cant understand his love for agbonlahor , who seems to only score with the women.

But he gets goodwill from me , we cant lose tomorrow thou.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 12:37:26 PM »
Another good read Dave.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 01:26:48 PM »
All very true, Dave. At the beginning of the season there was lots of goodwill for Sherwood despite the way last season ended, but he's losing it rapidly. That was very evident around me on the Holte on Saturday. The team could have been a Lambert side, with the sideways passing, absence of a coherent strategy and lack of creativity. The remaining goodwill will diminish drastically if we lose to Blues.

This

we said exactly the same in the Lower North

Offline oldham_villa

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 05:15:42 PM »
Great post again Dave, and also followed up by some decent posts on this thread.

We need a goal or two to go in off someone's backside, and to have a morale boosting run of games. Flair players will only go in their shell as the nervousness grows amongst us

What better place to start than to win against the Blues

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal