collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:15:07 AM]

Re: Jacob Ramsey by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:46:28 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by villabear
[Today at 04:37:35 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Rory
[Today at 04:07:17 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by olaftab
[Today at 02:42:51 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 02:30:08 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by aj2k77
[Today at 02:00:12 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Pete3206
[Today at 01:38:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Holte Suite  (Read 4742 times)

Offline conman

Re: Holte Suite
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2015, 01:48:53 PM »
I was in the Holte Suite before the game on Saturday, and gave up trying to get served after about 20 minutes, despite making eye contact with the nearest 'barman' on several occasions, and saying either, 'Yes please', or 'Pint of Carlsberg please'. Surely it's part of the job working behind a bar to be aware of who is next (though I appreciate that the Holte Suite gets busy).

Another thing.....why are drinks more expensive at half-time? Is it because it's season ticket holders only before the game? If that's the case, then why are we charged to get in?

Another moan......cans of Tetley (440ml) for £3.80?????? They had cans of Carlsberg Export for sale at the Man U game for £4.00 each......disgraceful.

It's about time that they employed more staff (who spend less time chatting to each other) and reduced the prices....
Four cans of Carlsberg Export (440ml) at my local Bargain Booze are £2.99, yet the club wanted £4 for one can? I totally understand that they have to make a decent sized profit, but that's just taking the piss.

when its 4 deep at the bar and people are fighting to get served
they will charge what they like

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2015, 02:12:50 PM »
Was in the Holte Suite at half time sat and it was ridiculous.The ruck such as it was, I would say was indirectly caused by the frustrations at the bar.
One chap had been served and the barman was serving someone else when the chap butts in to question the price of a Kopperberg.Barman stops to check price at a till with several mutterings at the bar.Chap eventually leaves bar to another bloke saying something to the effect ffs mate, we're all waiting.Then it's a bit cloudy, original bloke says 'what did you say?" several times, after which a bloke at the bar leaves the queuing to have a word with the other one.After heated words, the second bloke gives the first bloke what I can only describe as what Benny Hill used to do to his small bald sidekick-the headslap.
This is then a cue for a younger chap to lamp the head slapper and then mingle in the crowd at the back.
I saw no more as I was at that point "in" at the bar.

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2015, 07:46:33 PM »
There was a queue to get in the holte suite at 11-50 am I thought sod that and went in the holte pub

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2015, 07:58:18 PM »
A very good friend of mine was punched in the face in the Holte Suite at half-time whilst queuing for a pint. completely unprovoked, with witnesses.  The attacker was quickly ejected, and the police asked my friend if he wanted to press charges.

I've not seen that. Must be him.

According to the Meaning Evil two blokes were arrested in the Holte Suite for assault on Saturday? Also a 20 year old Albion fan for entering a Villa stand at the end of the game goading home fans?? I assume the latter was the Lower North?

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2015, 10:19:50 PM »
The service was particularly appalling all over the Holte for the Albion game. Took over 20 minutes for the hatch in the left lower concourse to serve about 12 people before the game.

At half time I got into The Holte Suite & it took about 10 minutes to get served. I felt sorry for the staff - they were at least moving with some sense of urgency, but every last one was clueless. When the taps stopped pouring (clearly because the barrel had gone) they just kept trying a different glass!

If it hadn't been for the complete clarity of their ineptness, I would have thought the club were deliberately trying to serve less beer for this game after last season's shenanigans. For our bigger attendances, there are usually smaller 'stalls' selling beer around the concourse, but not this time, so I think there was maybe some degree of planning for the lower Holte to imbibe a little less this time around!

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2015, 10:28:33 PM »
It seems the Holte Suite is our very own version of Dismaland. I wonder do they slow the whole flow of alcohol down on purpose.

Offline conman

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2015, 11:00:01 PM »
It seems the Holte Suite is our very own version of Dismaland. I wonder do they slow the whole flow of alcohol down on purpose.

probably
the best bet is go out earlier and drink more before you get to the ground

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2015, 11:04:56 PM »

probably
Like teenagers having "pre's" before a party

Offline conman

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2015, 11:24:30 PM »

probably
Like teenagers having "pre's" before a party
good idea yeah ,,,,drink a few cans before the pub ,,,,,wish i had thought of that

Offline FatSam

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2015, 11:34:42 PM »
I find it quite strange that people choose to watch the Villa sober. I certainly haven't done that for a few decades.

I drink at football mainly because I'm a nervous spectator - unless I've had a few drinks I'm generally too tense to enjoy the game. Once my sensory perception has been dulled down a bit I can follow what is going on without getting so wound up.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2015, 08:23:55 AM »
Apart from the Quarter Final last season I have always just strolled into the Upper Holte 45 minutes before ko, wandered to the beer counter (it's not a bar is it), purchased a pint of cold fizz and joined the folks I always meet up with for a leisurely chat and a perusal of the live match if it is on. I know it's not particularly plush but it sounds much better than what you poor sods are putting yourselves through.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2015, 08:55:43 AM »
It's usually like that in The Lower Holte - Saturday was bizarre. I've never known it to be so difficult to get a drink in there! The Holte Suite is usually a good option too, but managed to be as bad if not worse than the concourse.

The other thing is that they do employ a fair few students, and they haven't gone back to university til this week, so maybe that left them a bit under staffed.

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2015, 10:01:03 AM »
They have changed things pre-match in the Holte Suite as last season you paid for the food up front and then collected. Now you pay after getting it (where all the meals are laid out in a line) which results in a long queue of people some waiting to pay and others who haven't yet got to their choice...not very efficient. Also noticed the bar staff seem new and pretty clueless. They just need a few experienced/manager types to guide them. The half arsed approach will cost the club money ultimately and is not particularly business like. Will give it another try this evening.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2015, 11:39:24 AM »
They have changed things pre-match in the Holte Suite as last season you paid for the food up front and then collected. Now you pay after getting it (where all the meals are laid out in a line) which results in a long queue of people some waiting to pay and others who haven't yet got to their choice...not very efficient. Also noticed the bar staff seem new and pretty clueless. They just need a few experienced/manager types to guide them. The half arsed approach will cost the club money ultimately and is not particularly business like. Will give it another try this evening.

The only worrying thing is that this type of situation has been going on all over the ground for the past 15 seasons!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal