collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 381631 times)

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #2625 on: February 10, 2019, 08:29:05 PM »
We seemed to run out of ideas and steam a bit in the last 20, hitting 50 would have been nice.

I had my ref link in today and listening to Nigel Owens was an absolute treat, a master class in how to let a game run, well played Sir, you’ll be sorely missed.

We were out for lunch with Mrs S's siblings so I only got to see the second half in the hotel we were at.  It was disappointing to see that they had the volume off and so I couldn't hear the commentary but more disappointing that I couldn't hear what Nigel Owens was saying.  Nigel Owens has made me understand more about rugby than anyone and you are right Jon, he will be missed.

Deep,in the second half the French number 1 was lying injured on the ground awaiting the medics, Owens went over to him and asked him ‘are you ok young man? ‘Oui monsieuer’ came the reply then Owens said ‘Ooh rainbow laces, I like that’

Throughout the game he was constantly telling players and officials what he wanted and encouraging them with little pep talks especially in gaps in play. Can’t think of another referee I’ve heard do that.

Wonderful.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #2626 on: February 10, 2019, 08:43:39 PM »
We seemed to run out of ideas and steam a bit in the last 20, hitting 50 would have been nice.

I had my ref link in today and listening to Nigel Owens was an absolute treat, a master class in how to let a game run, well played Sir, you’ll be sorely missed.

We were out for lunch with Mrs S's siblings so I only got to see the second half in the hotel we were at.  It was disappointing to see that they had the volume off and so I couldn't hear the commentary but more disappointing that I couldn't hear what Nigel Owens was saying.  Nigel Owens has made me understand more about rugby than anyone and you are right Jon, he will be missed.

Deep,in the second half the French number 1 was lying injured on the ground awaiting the medics, Owens went over to him and asked him ‘are you ok young man? ‘Oui monsieuer’ came the reply then Owens said ‘Ooh rainbow laces, I like that’

Throughout the game he was constantly telling players and officials what he wanted and encouraging them with little pep talks especially in gaps in play. Can’t think of another referee I’ve heard do that.

Wonderful.

If only footballers showed the same respect to refs!

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2627 on: February 10, 2019, 09:02:23 PM »
Owens is easily the best referee in the world and will be a huge loss. He was excellent today, handled the Farrell try superbly, handled the handbags brilliantly and was spot on with the penalty try and yellow card. He also did a great job with the scrums which led to the best set we've seen all tournament, I can only think of 1-2 that were reset and they were resolved quickly. Compare and contrast to the confused bullshit from Garces last week or the awful shite from Poite yesterday.

From and English point of view Carley and Pearce are both improving fast and look like they'll be very good refs in a couple of years and then Dickson will come through soon as well. Not sure about refs outside the English system though because I don't watch the other domestic games and the European competitions use the same set as the 6N.

Offline nigel

« Reply #2628 on: February 10, 2019, 09:26:08 PM »
Owens is easily the best referee in the world and will be a huge loss. He was excellent today, handled the Farrell try superbly, handled the handbags brilliantly and was spot on with the penalty try and yellow card. He also did a great job with the scrums which led to the best set we've seen all tournament, I can only think of 1-2 that were reset and they were resolved quickly. Compare and contrast to the confused bullshit from Garces last week or the awful shite from Poite yesterday.

From and English point of view Carley and Pearce are both improving fast and look like they'll be very good refs in a couple of years and then Dickson will come through soon as well. Not sure about refs outside the English system though because I don't watch the other domestic games and the European competitions use the same set as the 6N.

Craig Maxwell-Keys must be getting close to a bigger international.
Always seems to be OK on the highlights

Online paul_e

« Reply #2629 on: February 10, 2019, 09:41:43 PM »
Forgot him, yep, he's another who's doing a good job. I think the standard in the premiership is generally pretty solid, I'm just not a fan of Barnes, Doyle or Foley who are, unfortunately, 3 of the highest profile refs we have at the minute.

Offline nigel

« Reply #2630 on: February 11, 2019, 07:48:12 AM »
Forgot him, yep, he's another who's doing a good job. I think the standard in the premiership is generally pretty solid, I'm just not a fan of Barnes, Doyle or Foley who are, unfortunately, 3 of the highest profile refs we have at the minute.

Have to admit I quite like Barnes, and Doyle seems pretty good (albeit only highlights)
I think when you're 'up against' Nigel Owens, though, you're always going to look average.

I thought Nige had a great game Sunday, rugby is going to miss him greatly

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #2631 on: February 11, 2019, 08:17:48 AM »
Nowt wrong with Wayne

The fact that we went to the same school and I used to work with his father-in-law has nothing to do with my praise.

Back to Nigel. Here's an interview that he did last year. Fascinating stuff

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p064xrt0

Online paul_e

« Reply #2632 on: February 11, 2019, 09:56:13 AM »
My problem with the 3 I've mentioned is they all have a couple of bad habits (most of the top refs have them unfortunately):

1. They don't really understand the scrum properly so if things aren't going well they either give the attacking a penalty or they just 'trade' penalties between the 2 teams until they sort things out themselves, this is one of the main reasons why the scrum is such a fucking mess in professional rugby.
2. They tend to 'reward' the team that's on top so sides that train to get early momentum tend to get the better of the 50/50 calls.

On Barnes in particular, I really want to like him but in addition to those 2 he also has a habit of judging the reputation rather than the incident which has caused him to give some really soft yellow and red cards.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2633 on: February 11, 2019, 12:57:04 PM »
The moment captured

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #2634 on: February 11, 2019, 05:17:48 PM »
Some bloke moaned behind me that it was Owens. He was quickly put in his place by a few of us sitting around him. Excellent ref.
As for Wales, we will have enough to beat them, looking forward to it.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #2635 on: February 11, 2019, 05:28:16 PM »
Nigel could ref Wales v England in Cardiff and I don’t think anyone with any sense would mind

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #2636 on: February 11, 2019, 05:32:18 PM »
BBC feature with my fellow Gloucester born Forester, Mo Hunt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-union/47123111

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2637 on: February 12, 2019, 08:43:53 AM »
Some bloke moaned behind me that it was Owens. He was quickly put in his place by a few of us sitting around him. Excellent ref.
As for Wales, we will have enough to beat them, looking forward to it.

You were in the cheap seats.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2638 on: February 12, 2019, 04:14:06 PM »
Here we go, Mako out for the rest of the 6 Nations.

Online taylorsworkrate

« Reply #2639 on: February 12, 2019, 04:23:19 PM »
Here we go, Mako out for the rest of the 6 Nations.

Massive blow as he's been immense in the first two games. We do have plenty of options in that position, but no one who can really match his physicality. It should only really be an issue for the Welsh game, as Italy and Scotland at home shouldn't pose too many problems.

We finally get our influential players all fit, and we lose two of them in the first two games. Whats the betting Billy Vunipola picks up a serious injury in training before the Wales game? Evens?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal