collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 386095 times)

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #2490 on: November 18, 2018, 09:54:23 AM »
I went to the Wales v Tonga game.

After three quick tries by Wales, Tonga fought back well to tie the game at 24-24. However, the game then turned into a farce as Wales scored 50 unanswered points.

Online Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #2491 on: November 18, 2018, 10:22:13 AM »
Looks like it's going to be a cracking 6 Nations.

Offline nigel

« Reply #2492 on: November 18, 2018, 06:46:29 PM »
Wow! Very proud to be Irish today, thought we'd lose by 10-15 points after their scare against England. Immense performance.

Great result for the Irish, they're going to be the ones to beat from now on.
Given that England also 'Beat' New Zealand, (We know it, they know it, everyone knows it) NZ will go into the World Cup knowing they are not unbeatable even with a 16th player.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2493 on: November 18, 2018, 09:19:00 PM »
Wow! Very proud to be Irish today, thought we'd lose by 10-15 points after their scare against England. Immense performance.

Great result for the Irish, they're going to be the ones to beat from now on.
Given that England also 'Beat' New Zealand, (We know it, they know it, everyone knows it) NZ will go into the World Cup knowing they are not unbeatable even with a 16th player.

Just to add to this I've recently started playing again (I'm nearly 39 so I have no fucking idea why I thought it was a good idea) and yesterday, before the game the ref was talking about the offside and was adamant the decision was wrong, in her (first time I've had a female ref) view the ball was out 3-4 seconds before he stood to kick it so Lawes was comfortably onside. By the end of the game I was confident that she was shit hot on the laws of the game so I think her view was very valuable. Talking with other people I know in the game (including a few that aren't English) there wasn't clear evidence for the TMO to make the call.

I think there's 4-5 teams that are looking in a good place coming into the world cup year so it should be a really strong competition.

If everything goes to the rankings:
we win our group and then play Australia, New Zealand and Ireland for QF, SF and Final.
Finish 2nd and we'd have Wales, Ireland and NZ.

I can't decide which way round I'd prefer that to go, losing to Ireland in the final would be a kick in the bollocks if you'd beaten NZ to get there though.

Online paul_e

« Reply #2494 on: November 19, 2018, 01:25:00 PM »
Watching the England game now (had a busy weekend, and wanted to watch the domestic stuff first). First thought, this midfield just doesn't work, Lozowski isn't good enough and Nowell has no idea how to play centre. Care scored the try but other than that his first half was fucking pathetic. Wilson isn't a 7 and we really need to stop using 2nd rows at 6, it's fucking stupid but his refusal to play Itoje and Lawes at 4 and 5 is becoming a big problem for us.

Ashton and Lozowski going off was the key to us turning it around because we suddenly went into the 2nd half and had a functioning centre pairing, I still have issues with ford, farrell, slade as a unit but at least they all know how to do their jobs and have international quality. I feel a bit sorry for Mercer because he didn't do much wrong at 8 but the backrow was a mess until Underhill came on and gave it some sort of balance.

I'm a massive fan of Daly but I think he was poor at fullback and has never seemed settled there, I think he's a winger or utility sub at this level and Watson would be my choice for the world cup if he can get fit and get some games under his belt.

Edit to add a final point, Hartley organising at the back of the maul to score again shows why he's still got a big part to play, George is very good in open play but I firmly believe Hartley, currently, makes us more solid and helps us build a platform.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 01:37:38 PM by paul_e »

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2495 on: November 20, 2018, 05:41:02 PM »
Ashton misses the Australia test through injury.

Online paul_e

« Reply #2496 on: November 20, 2018, 07:36:44 PM »
Ashton misses the Australia test through injury.

Unlucky but I think we're a stronger team with Nowell and May on the wings and Cokanasiga to come off the bench.

Online paul_e

« Reply #2497 on: November 24, 2018, 07:33:52 PM »
Great 2nd half today. Cokanasiga is an important option for us and gives us another dimension in attack. Teo was disappointing again.

Lawes and Itoje were excellent and, along with Underhill, they put a huge amount of pressure on the half backs. Given all the major nations rely on an expansive game that's something we sholud build around.

Online Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #2498 on: November 25, 2018, 12:54:40 PM »
Farrell again, ey?

Online paul_e

« Reply #2499 on: November 25, 2018, 02:07:25 PM »
Farrell again, ey?

He grew up on Rugby league and was taught to defend by his dad who was a league player, in league the 2-3 hits that have been highlighted this series would be perfectly acceptable. That said I think he's lucky to get away with it as often as he does. It's not just him though, plenty of players do it but because it was such a key time in the SA game it's been blown up out of proportion.

I think things are setting up nicely for the world cup now and the opening weekend of the 6N is a massive with England away in Dublin. The winner of that takes the 6N and possibly goes into the world cup as favourites, NZ do seem to be creaking quite badly right now, just like England did a year ago.

Online Ger Regan

« Reply #2500 on: November 26, 2018, 01:42:01 PM »
So schmidt is to head back to new zealand after the world cup. Remarkable coach, hopefully he can sign off in style before the very worrying prospect of him taking over as all blacks coach.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2501 on: November 26, 2018, 02:50:10 PM »
Farrell again, ey?

He grew up on Rugby league and was taught to defend by his dad who was a league player, in league the 2-3 hits that have been highlighted this series would be perfectly acceptable. That said I think he's lucky to get away with it as often as he does. It's not just him though, plenty of players do it but because it was such a key time in the SA game it's been blown up out of proportion.

I think things are setting up nicely for the world cup now and the opening weekend of the 6N is a massive with England away in Dublin. The winner of that takes the 6N and possibly goes into the world cup as favourites, NZ do seem to be creaking quite badly right now, just like England did a year ago.

Not sure about that Paul, seeing as both England and Ireland have to visit Cardiff in the 6N!!  I still think the All Blacks are the team to beat and that both Australia and South Africa will be different propositions by the time they arrive in Japan.  I have seen the South Africans play a few times this Autumn and they have got an absolutely monster pack.  They just seem to be a bit incoherent in the back division, but a bit of fine tuning there and they will be a real force. 

It does feel like the playing field has levelled out somewhat though and the build up to the World cup should be fascinating.   

Online paul_e

« Reply #2502 on: November 26, 2018, 04:20:47 PM »
Farrell again, ey?

Not sure about that Paul, seeing as both England and Ireland have to visit Cardiff in the 6N!!  I still think the All Blacks are the team to beat and that both Australia and South Africa will be different propositions by the time they arrive in Japan.  I have seen the South Africans play a few times this Autumn and they have got an absolutely monster pack.  They just seem to be a bit incoherent in the back division, but a bit of fine tuning there and they will be a real force. 

It does feel like the playing field has levelled out somewhat though and the build up to the World cup should be fascinating.   

To be fair they're all tough games (Italy aside) because NH rugby is in a really good place right now but I think Ireland have an extra bit of quality and England have the depth to be able to bring genuine game changers off the bench with the rest don't have.

SA have a fantastic pack but the 9 and 10 combo doesn't work (in my opinion) and that will hold them back. Australia won't be in the mix, they haven't got the forwards to deal with any of the big sides. NZ are obviously still a very good side but I think their back row is the weakest it's been for years and the air of invincibility has gone. If that try hadn't been scrubbed off they'd have gone for 3 defeats in 6months which would've been unheard of 2 years back and at pretty much any point in the last 7-8 years a close call like England would've seen a massive step up in performance the following week but they showed they just didn't have the gear to go up to. They'll still bully the smaller teams (see Italy and Japan this autumn) but if the big sides follow their plan and turn up I can see a fair few tight games.

Online JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #2503 on: November 27, 2018, 06:26:23 AM »
So schmidt is to head back to new zealand after the world cup. Remarkable coach, hopefully he can sign off in style before the very worrying prospect of him taking over as all blacks coach.

Nope, he's retiring from coaching after the World Cup to spend more time with his family.

I think the next coach of the AB's could well be Scott Robertson, the coach of the Canterbury Crusaders. 

Online Ger Regan

« Reply #2504 on: November 27, 2018, 01:02:05 PM »
Yeah, although it wouldn't surprise me if he came back at some stage in the future.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal