collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 386148 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #2085 on: December 03, 2017, 12:11:31 PM »
Sorry, more than 6, I started writing as win by x and then realised it didn't read as well so I changed them but I forgot to change that number.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #2086 on: December 05, 2017, 12:54:13 PM »
Is it just me, or is it the case that in spite of a brilliant record results-wise, England rarely play that well under EJ?

I kinda agree with that. 

We generally win in the last 10 minutes having bludgeoned the opposition and our 'finishers' come on feeling fresh.  We are also good enough to stop pretty much any team from playing exciting rugby against us, so over all the spectacle can be a bit flat. 

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2087 on: December 05, 2017, 01:34:39 PM »
Is it just me, or is it the case that in spite of a brilliant record results-wise, England rarely play that well under EJ?

I kinda agree with that. 

We generally win in the last 10 minutes having bludgeoned the opposition and our 'finishers' come on feeling fresh.  We are also good enough to stop pretty much any team from playing exciting rugby against us, so over all the spectacle can be a bit flat. 

I'm not sure.  We play well in spells in the first hjour and generally in the last 20 minutes we're utterly brilliant.  I think a big part of the problem is at 9.  I get why Jones likes Youngs and Care but neither of them generates quick ball with any regularity so whilst teams are fresh they compete hard at the breakdown and we don't have the space out wide.  As teams tire and gaps start to appear we change the 9 and the one coming on has all the time and space in the world and runs the game for us but I'd love us to find someone to get in and pass off the floor sometimes and force the opposition to be more wary of throwing too many people in.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #2088 on: January 16, 2018, 05:52:06 PM »
The continual injuries to Billy Vunipola have gotten beyond a joke now. Id be tempted to ban him from playing for Saracens

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2089 on: January 16, 2018, 09:45:42 PM »
The continual injuries to Billy Vunipola have gotten beyond a joke now. Id be tempted to ban him from playing for Saracens

This one was all about piss poor tackle technique (just like Haskell and Marler who've fucked themselves with bans rather than injuries) where he wanted to smash the guy and then wrap the arm afterwards, I don't know what happened next but I'd have given a penalty for it.  The problem is if you tackle like that against a guy who's 20 stone and motoring you only need to get it slightly wrong to cause an injury to one or both of you.

Maybe I'm being harsh though, I'm just fed with seeing English players miss games because they can't tackle properly.  Take a look - http://www.rugbydump.com/2018/01/6119/this-is-how-billy-vunipola-broke-his-arm

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2090 on: January 17, 2018, 01:10:23 PM »
Some good news & actually quite unexpected, Eddie Jones extends his contract to August 2021, great to hear & gives him the opportunity to tour with England as World Champions.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2091 on: January 17, 2018, 02:33:08 PM »
Arrogant, much?

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2092 on: January 17, 2018, 05:22:40 PM »
Well that's always the perception of England so we may as well live up to it.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2093 on: January 17, 2018, 06:54:29 PM »
It is arrogant but it's the arrogance that 1 defeat in 23 over the space of 2 years brings.  Us and New Zealand are on a different level to the rest of the rugby world right now and we will go into the world cup as the favourites for the final.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #2094 on: January 17, 2018, 09:48:10 PM »
It was intended as very much tongue in cheek but yeah fuck it why not, 1 defeat in 23 and 1 in 28 by the end of March ;)

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #2095 on: January 17, 2018, 10:27:41 PM »
Haskell banned for a month so misses the first 2 rounds of the 6N.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #2096 on: January 21, 2018, 01:10:57 AM »
England won’t win the six nations this year, so there will be at least one loss there.

I don’t think the squad, collectively, made enough progress in the autumn internationals to bridge the gap created by all the injuries. Ideally players like Sam Simmons and a new full back should be more established in the side.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #2097 on: January 21, 2018, 08:52:04 AM »
England won’t win the six nations this year, so there will be at least one loss there.

I don’t think the squad, collectively, made enough progress in the autumn internationals to bridge the gap created by all the injuries. Ideally players like Sam Simmons and a new full back should be more established in the side.

I think they will but it won't be a triple crown or grand slam again.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2098 on: January 21, 2018, 11:07:26 AM »
I think the injuries to key players makes the 6 nations a really good test for us. It's an opportunity to test our depth.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #2099 on: January 22, 2018, 01:35:14 AM »
I think the injuries to key players makes the 6 nations a really good test for us. It's an opportunity to test our depth.

It will be a test no doubt. Billy Vunipola is such a huge loss though. That showed in last years six nations, in which despite winning it, the Scotland game aside we didn't play well at all. Also showed during the autumn internationals.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal