collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 387826 times)

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #1980 on: September 22, 2017, 01:02:48 PM »
Blimey Sinckler and JJ left out of England training squad.

And Kruis, mind you Haskell & Kruis are only just back from injury, JJ is a strange one though.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1981 on: September 22, 2017, 01:30:39 PM »
Yep I assume Kruis and Haskell are due to their injuries.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1982 on: September 22, 2017, 04:32:29 PM »
Blimey Sinckler and JJ left out of England training squad.

And Kruis, mind you Haskell & Kruis are only just back from injury, JJ is a strange one though.

Francis and Hartley have been injured as well though and they're both included.  I think us being spoiled with 10s and wingers is making him try other things.  I suspect Francis is there as a 12 and Slade is in as a 13 and that he also sees Daly as playing anywhere 11-15.  Of the inclusions I think Smith is there too soon and that we should be phasing out Care and Brown by now.

Online nigel

« Reply #1983 on: September 22, 2017, 10:20:38 PM »
Interesting.
Some good young 'uns

Forwards: Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Tom Curry (Sale Sharks), Tom Dunn (Bath Rugby), Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby), Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers), Jamie George (Saracens), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), Nathan Hughes (Wasps), Nick Isiekwe (Saracens), Maro Itoje (Saracens), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby), Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs), Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Mako Vunipola (Saracens)

Backs: Mike Brown (Harlequins), Danny Care (Harlequins), Elliot Daly (Wasps), Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Leicester Tigers), Piers Francis (Northampton Saints), Alex Lozowski (Saracens), Jonny May (Leicester Tigers), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs), Marcus Smith (Harlequins), Ben Te'o (Worcester Warriors), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby), Marland Yarde (Harlequins), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #1984 on: October 07, 2017, 05:32:04 PM »
SA v NZ has been a hard game so far. Final phase of play in the first half lead to 10 mins after the hooter

Currently 10-8 to SA

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #1985 on: October 07, 2017, 09:31:17 PM »
NZ just about scraped a win but it was hard going

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #1986 on: October 10, 2017, 05:37:09 PM »
Great game wasn’t it? SA certainly deserved something from the game.

There was so much foul play at the breakdown in the first half though by NZ, little tugs on SA players as they tried to get onside or get round the right side of play and NZ players joining a ruck by just piling in leading with a shoulder and not one citing after the game.

Online nigel

« Reply #1987 on: October 10, 2017, 05:40:57 PM »
Interesting that Itoje is playing 6 for Sarries these days

Online paul_e

« Reply #1988 on: October 10, 2017, 06:13:10 PM »

Lawes at Saints as well.

Online nigel

« Reply #1989 on: October 10, 2017, 09:15:19 PM »

Lawes at Saints as well.

Blimey, hadn't noticed that

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #1990 on: October 10, 2017, 11:01:43 PM »
The BT Sport commentators touched on this at the weekend: They reckon it's big plus for England as there will be three potential jumpers with Kruis as the constant, calling the line-outs.  In addition, either Lawes or Itoje can take a rest (during the game) when needed.

No idea which position is considered more demanding or where you can "rest".  Regardless, having both at 100%, at their destructive best, for the whole game is quite frankly scary.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1991 on: October 11, 2017, 10:49:05 AM »
The BT Sport commentators touched on this at the weekend: They reckon it's big plus for England as there will be three potential jumpers with Kruis as the constant, calling the line-outs.  In addition, either Lawes or Itoje can take a rest (during the game) when needed.

No idea which position is considered more demanding or where you can "rest".  Regardless, having both at 100%, at their destructive best, for the whole game is quite frankly scary.

They key thing is that it means we can have all 4 of our world class locks in the 23, Lawes and Itoje at 5 and 6 and Launchbury or Kruis at 4 with the other on the bench.  It's a bit tough on our back row players but whilst we have 2 exceptional 8s (and a 3rd coming through quickly in Sam Simmonds) I'm still not totally convinced by the 6.5s that we seem to be overloaded with.  I'd be looking at Underhill to solve that one in the short term but I really like the look of Jack Willis at Wasps as the longer term solution there.

Offline Dave Summers

« Reply #1992 on: October 21, 2017, 12:32:42 PM »
Just spent a thoroughly enjoyable two hours or so watching Australia turn over New Zealand. Lots of errors in difficult conditions and apart from one or two weird decisions, superbly officiated by Wayne Barnes.

They’ve got enormous strength in depth but I seriously think we can take them on and match them in the World Cup. It’s not great that we’ve not played them since 2014 though, that is a worry.

Online nigel

« Reply #1993 on: October 21, 2017, 12:50:37 PM »
Just spent a thoroughly enjoyable two hours or so watching Australia turn over New Zealand. Lots of errors in difficult conditions and apart from one or two weird decisions, superbly officiated by Wayne Barnes.

They’ve got enormous strength in depth but I seriously think we can take them on and match them in the World Cup. It’s not great that we’ve not played them since 2014 though, that is a worry.

Agree.
I think the Lions tour exposed a few chinks in the NZ armour

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #1994 on: October 23, 2017, 01:09:54 PM »
The shackle draggers will be right up for it at Twickenham in a few weeks, since the WC we've beaten them what 5 or 6 on the trot?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal