collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Gareth
[Today at 08:33:33 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 08:32:13 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 08:31:53 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Steve67
[Today at 08:27:01 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by luke95
[Today at 08:26:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 381643 times)

Offline peter w

Re: Rugby World Cup 2015
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2015, 10:09:01 PM »

Online spangley1812

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2015, 10:19:29 PM »
I technically am attending both games @ VP as I am one of the volunteers for the whole tournament, not sure how much rugby I will get chance to see

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2015, 09:51:35 AM »

See every ref in world rugby should be made to watch that repeatedly (you could make a similar video of Ireland as well and the welsh at times, both teams with a heavy NZ presence in their coaching over the last 10-15 years) the all blacks have, for years, been allowed to cheat at will.  The o'driscoll spear tackle by any other nation would've seen 2 red cards and 4-8 week bans each for Collins and Nonu, because they were wearing black they didn't even get a sin-binning and then Collins got a subsequent 1 week ban at the citing commission.  It's pathetic and harms the game, thankfully the rules around the breakdown are difficult enough that only a player or big fan will really notice, to most people the ABs just look like they're better than most other teams at getting the ball out quickly.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2015, 12:19:41 PM »
Wales resting a lot of key players against Uruguay, I hope that backfires on them. I appreciate it's unlikely to impact the result, but I hope those players aren't match sharp when they play us.

Offline glasses

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2015, 12:23:22 PM »
How do people think Ireland will get on in the tournament?

Just a general query as they seem to do well in the six nations and look to have a relatively easy group.

I say this as someone who knows feck all about Rugby, mind

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2015, 12:56:23 PM »
How do people think Ireland will get on in the tournament?

Just a general query as they seem to do well in the six nations and look to have a relatively easy group.

I say this as someone who knows feck all about Rugby, mind
As you say a relatively easy group, Ranked 2 in the world?  I think not, they'll be found out this tournament.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2015, 02:11:51 PM »
I think Ireland will do ok, but I expect their run to end in the quarters or the semis.

I'm already properly nervous about tonight, and it's a game against Fiji, fuck knows what I'll be like when we play Wales and Australia.

Online paul_e

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2015, 04:16:42 PM »
Ireland will get out of their group but I wouldn't bet on it being in first place, which would mean a QF against the all blacks.  The Ireland vs France game is going to be the only game outside Pool A that's got real consequences and could genuinely go either way (except maybe Scotland vs Samoa).

Not sure where Jon is getting his ranking from, they're 6th, which is much closer to reality, they were second a couple of years ago but they've been dropping for a while.  A good aussie performance in the championship has changed things a little in the official rankings but for me there's an eyelash between England, Australia and SA in 2-4 and then a similarly close battle between Ireland, Wales and France for 5-7.  After that the rankings get unreliable because argetina, italy and, to an extent scotland are whipping boys in their regular international tournament so it'as hard to judge them agianst each other or against sides like Tonga, Samoa or Fiji.

All the other games that I wouldn't want to call are amongst the sides that you don't really expect to see qualify, Tonga vs Georgia tomorrow for example could be a superb game, I suspect Tonga will be too strong, but Georgia are a better side than they're given credit for and probably aren't far off questioning why Italy get a 6N place ahead of them.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2015, 04:29:43 PM »
just a quickie but what are the reasons were hosting
couple of rugby games?
does it really do the hallowed turf any good

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2015, 04:32:41 PM »
Have Sky got their greasy paws all over this ? It don't appear to be on BBC tonite ?

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2015, 04:45:02 PM »
Have Sky got their greasy paws all over this ? It don't appear to be on BBC tonite ?

It's on ITV.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2015, 05:08:06 PM »

It's on ITV.
Nice

Offline peter w

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2015, 05:52:54 PM »
Ireland will get out of their group but I wouldn't bet on it being in first place, which would mean a QF against the all blacks.  The Ireland vs France game is going to be the only game outside Pool A that's got real consequences and could genuinely go either way (except maybe Scotland vs Samoa).

Not sure where Jon is getting his ranking from, they're 6th, which is much closer to reality, they were second a couple of years ago but they've been dropping for a while.  A good aussie performance in the championship has changed things a little in the official rankings but for me there's an eyelash between England, Australia and SA in 2-4 and then a similarly close battle between Ireland, Wales and France for 5-7.  After that the rankings get unreliable because argetina, italy and, to an extent scotland are whipping boys in their regular international tournament so it'as hard to judge them agianst each other or against sides like Tonga, Samoa or Fiji.

All the other games that I wouldn't want to call are amongst the sides that you don't really expect to see qualify, Tonga vs Georgia tomorrow for example could be a superb game, I suspect Tonga will be too strong, but Georgia are a better side than they're given credit for and probably aren't far off questioning why Italy get a 6N place ahead of them.

But aren't Georgia just an updated version of Romania? The Italians have shown some consistency and improvement whereas Georgia are likely to come and go, as did the Romanians. of course it could be argues that the extra revenue from playing 6 Nations rugby would enable them to reinvest in grass roots rugby ensuring a deeper legacy.

Online paul_e

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2015, 08:18:45 PM »

But aren't Georgia just an updated version of Romania? The Italians have shown some consistency and improvement whereas Georgia are likely to come and go, as did the Romanians. of course it could be argues that the extra revenue from playing 6 Nations rugby would enable them to reinvest in grass roots rugby ensuring a deeper legacy.

Georgia have been 7th in Europe for about 10-12 years so, like Italy before them, they've started to outclass everyone else.

That said I'd pull in Romania as well and go to 2 groups of 4 then have semis and finals to play off for 1st to 8th.

Online paul_e

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2015, 08:20:11 PM »
Decent start, Seeing Fiji try to overpower england with first phase crash ball is odd.  We're already kicking the ball too much for my liking.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal