collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:59:21 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clive W
[Today at 07:54:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 07:52:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 381795 times)

Offline cheltenhamlion

Re: International Rugby
« Reply #2520 on: January 18, 2019, 06:03:47 PM »
Pleased for Thorley. He has had an excellent season.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #2521 on: February 01, 2019, 07:51:38 PM »
Really looking forward to the 6 nations, it will be good to see some men that won't throw themselves to the ground after "contact" has been made.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2522 on: February 01, 2019, 08:57:06 PM »
Enjoying this, Wales have been utter shit but the handling from the french is brilliant given the conditions. Picamoles is a great player and is having a belter of a game, best player on the pitch by miles so far.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2523 on: February 01, 2019, 09:50:59 PM »
Well, France utterly shat the bed there.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #2524 on: February 01, 2019, 09:54:14 PM »

One of the most interesting things I saw tonight was the stat that Wales matches have the most ball in play time.

That is 37 minutes. 37 minutes in a sport where the clock stops. Thats an absolute disgrace.

Clearly shows the clock is not stopped anything like remotely enough. 43 minutes out of 80 just lost to absolutely fuck all?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 09:56:20 PM by taylorsworkrate »

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2525 on: February 01, 2019, 11:17:52 PM »

One of the most interesting things I saw tonight was the stat that Wales matches have the most ball in play time.

That is 37 minutes. 37 minutes in a sport where the clock stops. Thats an absolute disgrace.

Clearly shows the clock is not stopped anything like remotely enough. 43 minutes out of 80 just lost to absolutely fuck all?

Not really, up to a minute for every kick at the posts, that's about 10 minutes per game. 15-20 seconds per scrum, another 5 minutes or so. Lineouts probably cost similar. If you only started the clock when the ball was in play (so when the kicker moves, or the ball enters the scrum, or the hooker throws) each half would last well over an hour.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #2526 on: February 02, 2019, 01:31:30 PM »

Not really, up to a minute for every kick at the posts, that's about 10 minutes per game. 15-20 seconds per scrum, another 5 minutes or so. Lineouts probably cost similar. If you only started the clock when the ball was in play (so when the kicker moves, or the ball enters the scrum, or the hooker throws) each half would last well over an hour.

Then so be it, (each half lasting over an hour) as i'm sure the paying spectators wouldn't object.

37 minutes was for matches involving Wales. The average amount of ball in play time is 32/33 minutes. I appreciate there are some times where the clock will keep running, but in a sport where the referee has the ability to stop the clock, and their is no stoppage time, that just appears plain wrong.

1 minute for kickers is too long. That can easily be halved. I'd also stop the clock for conversions after a try. They have done some work on getting scrums set quicker, but they still take too much time out of the game.

Theres a lot more that could and should be done. I enjoy watching rugby, but watching a kicker lining up his kick from 10 metres in front of the posts for 40 seconds I do not.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2527 on: February 02, 2019, 02:06:47 PM »

Then so be it, (each half lasting over an hour) as i'm sure the paying spectators wouldn't object.

37 minutes was for matches involving Wales. The average amount of ball in play time is 32/33 minutes. I appreciate there are some times where the clock will keep running, but in a sport where the referee has the ability to stop the clock, and their is no stoppage time, that just appears plain wrong.

1 minute for kickers is too long. That can easily be halved. I'd also stop the clock for conversions after a try. They have done some work on getting scrums set quicker, but they still take too much time out of the game.

Theres a lot more that could and should be done. I enjoy watching rugby, but watching a kicker lining up his kick from 10 metres in front of the posts for 40 seconds I do not.

Stopping the clock generally only occurs to cover 2 situations, to treat an injury or for disciplinary action. If you watch after a scrum is awarded, for example, the clock runs but if the ref has to stand them up he'll call for the clock to stop first. Stopping the clock all the time would do more harm than good to the game. My biggest worry would be the increase in mauls and scrums leading to teams needing a 3rd front row on the bench. I'm not a prop but I have tried it and it's fucking exhausting.  I think if it drops below half an hour then the officials should be questioned but above that is fine.

The best way I can sum this up is, if you hadn't seen the stat would you have cared?

Online nigel

« Reply #2528 on: February 02, 2019, 02:28:42 PM »
Wales did well to win, but, flippin' heck France made it easy for them.
Why on earth did that chap try that pass for North's interception?

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #2529 on: February 02, 2019, 03:19:27 PM »

Stopping the clock generally only occurs to cover 2 situations, to treat an injury or for disciplinary action. If you watch after a scrum is awarded, for example, the clock runs but if the ref has to stand them up he'll call for the clock to stop first. Stopping the clock all the time would do more harm than good to the game. My biggest worry would be the increase in mauls and scrums leading to teams needing a 3rd front row on the bench. I'm not a prop but I have tried it and it's fucking exhausting.  I think if it drops below half an hour then the officials should be questioned but above that is fine.

The best way I can sum this up is, if you hadn't seen the stat would you have cared?

As I've said, I do find it can slightly spoil a game and get pissed off with scrums taking so long (one today in the scotland game took over 90 seconds from being awarded to ball being put in) and kickers getting so long for each kick.

I was slightly surprised at the severity of the issue on seeing the stat yesterday, but have always felt it to be a problem.

Online nigel

« Reply #2530 on: February 02, 2019, 03:39:31 PM »
Scotland look good.
Italy are pretty awful to be honest, but, you can only beat what's in front of you

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2531 on: February 02, 2019, 03:51:12 PM »

As I've said, I do find it can slightly spoil a game and get pissed off with scrums taking so long (one today in the scotland game took over 90 seconds from being awarded to ball being put in) and kickers getting so long for each kick.

I was slightly surprised at the severity of the issue on seeing the stat yesterday, but have always felt it to be a problem.

I agree that scrums are sometimes a problem, but most of the rest I'm pretty much ok with.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2532 on: February 02, 2019, 04:25:36 PM »
Scotland vs italy was a fucking awful match. Scotland showed they can score tries from nothing but also that they're very vulnerable to teams that run hard and straight.

Main event now, think this will be an excellent match, 2 very good sides, England have their strongest 23 for about 2-3 years.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2533 on: February 02, 2019, 04:48:17 PM »
What a start! Great attacking energy.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2534 on: February 02, 2019, 04:49:58 PM »
Get in there, brilliant start, fantastic running lines to create the space out wide.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal