collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 387632 times)

Offline taylorsworkrate

Re: International Rugby
« Reply #2445 on: November 02, 2018, 11:08:08 PM »
Anything less than 3 wins out of 4 should see the end of Jones.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #2446 on: November 03, 2018, 03:18:01 PM »
Yet again the lack of discipline is a fucking disgrace.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2447 on: November 03, 2018, 03:45:01 PM »
Pretty fucking poor.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #2448 on: November 03, 2018, 03:56:21 PM »
Staggering its only 8-6 to SA at half time. They've been hugely superior in every area. Thankfully they blew some pretty simple chances.

The difference in physicality between the sides has been huge. Turning that around will be very difficult

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #2449 on: November 03, 2018, 06:26:59 PM »
Much better 2nd half, but still very very fortunate to win the game. Farrell very lucky to get away with the hit at the end, would have been pissed off if that was the other way around.

We need to inject that sort of tempo into the game from the start.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #2450 on: November 03, 2018, 07:36:26 PM »
Cipriani got a red for much less a few weeks ago. The IRU needs to sort this massive inconsistency out.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2451 on: November 03, 2018, 07:49:33 PM »
Game of 2 halves.
Much better second half. I’m sorry but Youngs offers nothing, Care needs to start next week.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2452 on: November 03, 2018, 07:52:36 PM »
Like a late Spring day in Twickenham today.

2013 sl63 0 60

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #2453 on: November 03, 2018, 08:04:14 PM »
Good to stick it out and get that result, but need to be much better.

Offline nigel

« Reply #2454 on: November 03, 2018, 08:48:09 PM »
Brilliant defence by England,  especially the final few minutes.
Thought the Ref got the Farrell decision right, he tried to wrap him but with the pace of impact couldn't complete.
South African line out cost them the game, it was awful

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2455 on: November 03, 2018, 11:06:31 PM »
I've had a busy day so I missed most of the game and have only seena  handful of highlights.

On the Farrell tackle I can see both sides, it's one that right on the edge of the laws.

I'll pass more comments when I've watched more but I'm not surprised to see lots of comments about T'eo and Youngs being weak links (not here).

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #2456 on: November 03, 2018, 11:13:29 PM »
T’eo is an odd choice purely for the minutes he’s played. I like him as a player, mainly as an impact payer, but he’s clearly not match fit.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2457 on: November 04, 2018, 12:20:18 AM »
T’eo is an odd choice purely for the minutes he’s played. I like him as a player, mainly as an impact payer, but he’s clearly not match fit.

I'm not sure, I watch a lot of premiership rugby and I've never bene massively impressed by him, he's ok but he's not a particularly effective crash runner (which is what we seem to want to make him into) he just does'n t run the right lines (Burrell is still the best player in the league for that but unfortunately he has too many weaknesses in his all round game) so it doesn't feel like he's going to open teams up in the way that the very best big centres do. My other issue with bringing him in is that it makes the whole thing feel a little muddled. We've used Ford and Farrell as 10/12 for 3 years and it seems to odd to shift the 2nd playmaker to 13 and just go for bulk in at 12.

The biggest problem, as ever, is that I don't think we have any genuinely world class centres, Manu might have become one with better coaching and less injuries (Trinder too) but other than that most English centres currently are out of position 10s or wingers. A top centre has the all round game of a back but combines it with the 'dog' of a 6/7, 1 of your centres (preferably 13) really needs to be able to boss the breakdown like a backrow, and we don't have any who offer that and we don't seem to be encouraging them through either.

Of all the young players in the league my current centre pairing would be utterly batshit crazy because I'd go with:

Mallinder at 12 is the more sensible one. I'd focus him on running good lines and breaking the line consistently as well as work with him on making the big hits on 10s and backrows to make the most of his size advantage. He's got a great offloading game, bags of pace, soft hands and a very good kicking game but has been badly let down by Saints in the last 2 years because they keep playing him to fill gaps rather than give him a specific role and double down on it.

At 13 we have major problems, Slade is a band aid, Manu and Trinder are broken and can't be relied on, Daly is an option (but suffers the same versatility issue as Mallinder) but none of them are right. On that basis I'd try to create one from scratch. What I want is, good hands, a decent offloading game, an eye for the tryline, pace, strength, a solid tackle and the ability to win turnovers, give me all of those things and 6months of positional coaching and you've got a 13 for the world cup. On that basis I'd beg Exeter to convert Sam Simmonds.

Offline nigel

« Reply #2458 on: November 04, 2018, 09:29:13 AM »

I'm not sure, I watch a lot of premiership rugby and I've never bene massively impressed by him, he's ok but he's not a particularly effective crash runner (which is what we seem to want to make him into) he just does'n t run the right lines (Burrell is still the best player in the league for that but unfortunately he has too many weaknesses in his all round game) so it doesn't feel like he's going to open teams up in the way that the very best big centres do. My other issue with bringing him in is that it makes the whole thing feel a little muddled. We've used Ford and Farrell as 10/12 for 3 years and it seems to odd to shift the 2nd playmaker to 13 and just go for bulk in at 12.

The biggest problem, as ever, is that I don't think we have any genuinely world class centres, Manu might have become one with better coaching and less injuries (Trinder too) but other than that most English centres currently are out of position 10s or wingers. A top centre has the all round game of a back but combines it with the 'dog' of a 6/7, 1 of your centres (preferably 13) really needs to be able to boss the breakdown like a backrow, and we don't have any who offer that and we don't seem to be encouraging them through either.

Of all the young players in the league my current centre pairing would be utterly batshit crazy because I'd go with:

Mallinder at 12 is the more sensible one. I'd focus him on running good lines and breaking the line consistently as well as work with him on making the big hits on 10s and backrows to make the most of his size advantage. He's got a great offloading game, bags of pace, soft hands and a very good kicking game but has been badly let down by Saints in the last 2 years because they keep playing him to fill gaps rather than give him a specific role and double down on it.

At 13 we have major problems, Slade is a band aid, Manu and Trinder are broken and can't be relied on, Daly is an option (but suffers the same versatility issue as Mallinder) but none of them are right. On that basis I'd try to create one from scratch. What I want is, good hands, a decent offloading game, an eye for the tryline, pace, strength, a solid tackle and the ability to win turnovers, give me all of those things and 6months of positional coaching and you've got a 13 for the world cup. On that basis I'd beg Exeter to convert Sam Simmonds.

Flippin' heck, Paul.
There's 'Batshit crazy' and there's 'Batshit crazy'  ;D

I certainly agree on Mallinder. Great player.
I wonder if he'd benefit by leaving Northampton?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 09:32:01 AM by nigel »

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2459 on: November 04, 2018, 09:56:12 AM »
Oh i know, i just can't see a proper 13 anywherr and he's one of the few players with the right skillset.

Marchant is the best youngster and he can be trained and might learn to play at the breakdown but like most English 13s he's currently a winger with a pass.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal