collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 381780 times)

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #2325 on: March 17, 2018, 04:39:06 PM »
England have been rubbish, but the referee has been atrocious.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2326 on: March 17, 2018, 04:41:09 PM »
The ref has missed loads here but the biggie is that ringrose caught daly in the face with a hand or forearm, citing comjng for that i suspect.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #2327 on: March 17, 2018, 04:49:50 PM »
Dismal stuff. England need to look at some of these players now and move them on.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #2328 on: March 17, 2018, 04:54:32 PM »
Completely unacceptable performance today and six nations overall. With the resources available there is no way that England should be losing  3 games out of 5 ever.

There needs to be an honest assessment within English rugby. Firstly i'd be looking at getting rid of Gustard as defence coach, as the Wales game aside it has been embarrassing in this tournament.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2329 on: March 17, 2018, 05:28:03 PM »
I totally get why they've dropped Cole, he's been poor for a while now, I just don't trust Sinckler in the scrum, I'd have dropped Cole out completely, started Williams and kept Sinckler on the bench.

Going back to this bit, Sinckler had a terrible time in the scrum, their loosehead was twisting his bind so his hand was underneath and pulling down and sinckler never adapted.

The ref was at fault for not spotting it and calling sinckler out for boring in - for anyone who doesn't know the front row this might not seem so bad but the only way you can bore in as a tighthead is to drop your outside shoulder and turn your hips out, the upshot of that is that your 2nd row can't drive so your scrum disintegrates and if you're not careful you can get badly hurt, no one would do it on purpose and it's very hard to do by mistake - but sinckler should've been pushing Hartley to ask the ref to check the bind and making sure the bind got mentioned after every scrum to create some doubt.  The other 'trick' is to take a shorter bind yourself so when his arm goes underneath your binding on the ribs, if he carries on and it collapses it hurts him a lot more and is normally enough to put them off.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2330 on: March 17, 2018, 07:15:07 PM »
6 weeks ago I sat and watched England in short sleeves in Rome huff and puff to victory over Italy. Today I wore my full length Canada Goose parka and froze my tits off, thankfully my seat is in the East stand so was sheltered from the wind.

What can you say about today? Better at the breakdown and every time we had quick ball we made chances. Individual discipline cost us right from the start Farrell being exhibit a for their first try which looked like Kearney knocked on but anyway.  The referee was a disgrace, no other words for it, aided and abetted by Owens, everything was against England today not that they deserved anything. Itoje is over, Wigglesworth is over, Robshaw as well. We have completed the circle now, we are back to where we were when Lancaster was fired, 3 tests against the SpongeBobs before New Zealand and we could be looking at 7 straight defeats unless something changes dramatically.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2331 on: March 17, 2018, 07:21:02 PM »
Itoje isn't over, he's not fully fit and the main effect is that he's head down run into the man when at his best he was picking a weak shoulder and off loading.

I agree in Wigglesworth and I'm starting to think Robshaw is cursed, whenever he becomes a key player for us we fall apart.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #2332 on: March 17, 2018, 07:26:54 PM »
Itoje is nowhere near over, he’s tired and out of form. England need to use this 6 Nations as a means to grow. We’ve been rubbish in the breakdown, in attacking strategy, in defence and we’ve lacked adaptability. There are some excellent England players, let’s start using them in the right way.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2333 on: March 17, 2018, 07:32:58 PM »
Itoje has been shite all tournament, if he’s not fully fit why is he playing?

I’m not sure Hartley will be starting in SA either, he did some good work today but George has been snapping at his heels for a good while now, time to move on.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2334 on: March 17, 2018, 07:40:10 PM »

I’m not sure Hartley will be starting in SA either, he did some good work today but George has been snapping at his heels for a good while now, time to move on.

because Jones is falling into the trap lots of England managers have and sticking to the players he knows until he has no other choice.

I thought Hartley was ok today and he's definitely in the 23 (until Tommy Taylor can get back up to speed) so the question is whether you would rather start George and bring Hartley, which I think is a bad idea.

The main issue is that we're shy around the breakdown, it means we don't slow other teams down and get caught short in defence, and we can't do it back.  Watch Wiggo from today, pretty much every ruck, for an hour, he'd dig it out, look up, put a hand on, look up again, then make a pass, 2-3 seconds after he should've.  It's painful to watch.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #2335 on: March 17, 2018, 07:46:21 PM »

I don’t disagree that Itoje has been poor this year, but it doesn’t mean he’s over.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #2336 on: April 18, 2018, 11:27:52 AM »
Bans after the Spain v Belgium fracas

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43806957

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2337 on: April 18, 2018, 11:48:33 AM »
Bans after the Spain v Belgium fracas

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43806957

No surprise but there's loads more to come from that story still.  I suspect that ref will be permanently banned, the Romanian feedration are already under investigation and there's plenty of talk of the game being either replayed or the result being reversed.  Of course the problem with replaying it now is that spain will be a significantly weaker side than they were.

Offline nigel

« Reply #2338 on: April 20, 2018, 06:21:13 PM »

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #2339 on: May 03, 2018, 11:31:58 AM »
And in the least surprising rugby news in history.....

Billy Vuniopola is injured again.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal