collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 387937 times)

Offline Proposition Joe

Re: International Rugby
« Reply #2055 on: November 18, 2017, 05:26:06 PM »
If England's disjointed performances are put down to rustiness, because it's early season and the squad need to get used to each other again, why do Scotland look so "on it"?

Offline nigel

« Reply #2056 on: November 18, 2017, 06:49:08 PM »
If England's disjointed performances are put down to rustiness, because it's early season and the squad need to get used to each other again, why do Scotland look so "on it"?

And how are Scotland getting on?
Not quite 'On it'  ;)

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2057 on: November 18, 2017, 06:52:40 PM »
Such a weird game, but Itoje was magnificent and when fit he should be on for as long as he possibly can be.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #2058 on: November 18, 2017, 06:54:22 PM »
He gets a lot of stick but Care was excellent when he came on.

Offline nigel

« Reply #2059 on: November 18, 2017, 07:34:43 PM »
Thought Lawes and Launchbury were excellent.

I happen to like the Youngs/Care number 9 partnership, too. Yes I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but, for me they work.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2060 on: November 18, 2017, 07:56:22 PM »
Thought Lawes and Launchbury were excellent.

I happen to like the Youngs/Care number 9 partnership, too. Yes I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but, for me they work.

I think either of them look good coming on later in the game because they're quick and like to attack around the fringes.  With a pack as mobile as ours the cover defence is usually fucked after an hour so a fresh 9 can find loads of space.  The issue for me is that whichever of them starts our game looks disjointed because they don't create quick ball for the 10 and until it breaks up that makes us a little 1 paced and predictable.

That's why I'd like to see Robson in place of one of them becaue I think he's got a more rounded game and that he will find a 10 standing flat with quick ball, which would work really well with Ford.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #2061 on: November 19, 2017, 02:14:16 PM »
Thought the officials had an excellent game yesterday. Got all the major decisions spot on

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #2062 on: November 19, 2017, 07:00:52 PM »
Credit to Scotland.  I doubt NZ were expecting a game of that intensity despite what they've said afterwards. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 09:43:53 PM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #2063 on: November 19, 2017, 08:24:30 PM »
NZ are showing slight signs of weakness of late.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2064 on: November 19, 2017, 09:13:11 PM »
Credit to Scotland.  I doubt NZ were expecting a game of that intensity despite what they're said afterwards. 

Yep, only watched the highlights but there's some pretty horrific decisions in that one.

Not giving the NZ wing a yellow for taking Hogg in the air was a piss poor decision.  Not only did he take him in the air but it was also a body check with no attempt to wrap the arms.
After that there's the yellow card for Cane which was clear as day but really should've been a penalty try.  By just giving the yellow it didn't change their appraoch, a penalty try would've made them compete legally.
They did it again for the Crockett yellow and then again for the Read/Gray incident (here - https://youtu.be/PI64vURdk1g?t=2h1m10s - Read lying on the floor bats the ball out of his hands when he's a step away from scoring right in front).  Between the lot of them yes NZ were punished but the time that it wasted worked in their favour because they had a big enough lead to just focus on the clock.

Offline nigel

« Reply #2065 on: November 20, 2017, 07:36:27 AM »
Credit to Scotland.  I doubt NZ were expecting a game of that intensity despite what they're said afterwards. 

Yep, only watched the highlights but there's some pretty horrific decisions in that one.

Not giving the NZ wing a yellow for taking Hogg in the air was a piss poor decision.  Not only did he take him in the air but it was also a body check with no attempt to wrap the arms.
After that there's the yellow card for Cane which was clear as day but really should've been a penalty try.  By just giving the yellow it didn't change their appraoch, a penalty try would've made them compete legally.
They did it again for the Crockett yellow and then again for the Read/Gray incident (here - https://youtu.be/PI64vURdk1g?t=2h1m10s - Read lying on the floor bats the ball out of his hands when he's a step away from scoring right in front).  Between the lot of them yes NZ were punished but the time that it wasted worked in their favour because they had a big enough lead to just focus on the clock.

Haven't seen highlights, but, it sounds like NZ getting punished only in poor field position for Scotland, never when NZ could be punished with points.
Read is becoming the new McCaw, gets away with anything!!

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2066 on: November 20, 2017, 07:51:30 AM »

Haven't seen highlights, but, it sounds like NZ getting punished only in poor field position for Scotland, never when NZ could be punished with points.
Read is becoming the new McCaw, gets away with anything!!

Yep, there was one earlier where Read rolls into a ruck from the side and holds the ball in whilst they setup the counter-ruck and you could see him watching for the ref the entire time.  This is why I struggle to give NZ the praise that most do, for all their quality in the backs they're the dirtiest pack in the world by a long way and have been for years.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2067 on: November 25, 2017, 03:18:32 PM »
So England game is looking almost over after 10 minutes.  12-0 but totally dominant and very nearly had another but for a marginal forward pass.  As I was typing that though you had a bit of desperate defence on our own loan.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2068 on: November 25, 2017, 03:19:59 PM »
and there's the try back, came from some really poor play by Ewels from the restart.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2069 on: November 25, 2017, 03:40:31 PM »
up to 22-7 and England are getting back into control after being a little flustered by the silly play to concede.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal