collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 387433 times)

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #2025 on: November 14, 2017, 06:37:54 PM »
I think we will improve. Ball carrying and quick ball is the key.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #2026 on: November 14, 2017, 07:13:21 PM »
Playing Robson would be a start.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #2027 on: November 14, 2017, 08:16:00 PM »
I think any scrum half would have struggled on Saturday.

Offline nigel

« Reply #2028 on: November 14, 2017, 09:33:02 PM »
No George Kruis, injury?

Backs: Mike Brown (Harlequins), Elliot Daly (Wasps), Jonny May (Leicester Tigers), Semesa Rokoduguni (Bath Rugby), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby), Danny Care (Harlequins), Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Leicester Tigers), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers).

Forwards: Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby), Nathan Hughes (Wasps), Maro Itoje (Saracens), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs), Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Jamie George (Saracens), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs).

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2029 on: November 14, 2017, 10:52:34 PM »
No George Kruis, injury?

Backs: Mike Brown (Harlequins), Elliot Daly (Wasps), Jonny May (Leicester Tigers), Semesa Rokoduguni (Bath Rugby), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby), Danny Care (Harlequins), Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Leicester Tigers), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers).

Forwards: Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby), Nathan Hughes (Wasps), Maro Itoje (Saracens), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs), Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Jamie George (Saracens), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs).

I think it's just that there's 4 top class locks in the squad and you have to leave 1 out so it's his turn this week.  He didn't have a great game either which won't have helped.  Lozowski is pretty unlucky to be sent back though, he improved us last week.

I agree with Chelts on Robson, I've said in plenty of times but I think Youngs is a weak link in this squad.  He can have moments of brilliance but too often he's flat footed, indecisive and ponderous when there isn't a gap for him to hit, it's like his brain works quickly when there's a chance for him to be the star but if he can't spot that gap he's just happy to keep it slow and steady.  That's why we look much more fluid when Care comes on because Ford is suddenly getting ball with time to pick options.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #2030 on: November 15, 2017, 12:07:39 AM »
shouldn't the familiarity of Young > Ford be worth building on?  It's one relationship that should already exist and not, therefore, need to be developed during England training camps?

When there's a gnat's breath between the that and the alternative I'd suggest that is a plus/justification.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #2031 on: November 15, 2017, 02:37:13 PM »
France to host 2023 RWC

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #2032 on: November 15, 2017, 05:33:17 PM »
France to host 2023 RWC

Are they hosting it all over Europe again?

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2033 on: November 15, 2017, 11:58:21 PM »
France to host 2023 RWC

From the final proposal yes, all 9 venues are in France - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Rugby_World_Cup#France

As it says there were 19 in the original list and I think that included a couple of Italian cities but they were quickly removed because they decided to focus on 'brand France' as their draw for it.

SA are aggrieved over the whole thing having come marginally ahead on the recommendation but I suspect that the withdrawal of the Durban commonwealth games has played a big part in that decision.

Offline nigel

« Reply #2034 on: November 16, 2017, 07:50:18 AM »
France to host 2023 RWC

From the final proposal yes, all 9 venues are in France - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Rugby_World_Cup#France

As it says there were 19 in the original list and I think that included a couple of Italian cities but they were quickly removed because they decided to focus on 'brand France' as their draw for it.

SA are aggrieved over the whole thing having come marginally ahead on the recommendation but I suspect that the withdrawal of the Durban commonwealth games has played a big part in that decision.

Quite right, too, imo.

What's this a bout Durban? Must have missed that

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #2035 on: November 16, 2017, 08:13:16 AM »
Assuming that the 2027 RWC goes to the southern hemisphere, I suspect that 2031 will be USA/Canada.

After that, maybe Ireland could anchor a pan-European bid with games also in Scotland, Italy, Georgia and Romania

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2036 on: November 16, 2017, 11:06:35 AM »
France to host 2023 RWC

Quite right, too, imo.

What's this a bout Durban? Must have missed that

http://www.espn.co.uk/athletics/story/_/id/18903981/durban-stripped-2022-commonwealth-games

I can't believe that something like that won't have been in the minds of the board when it came to the vote but it is only a guess.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #2037 on: November 16, 2017, 01:18:54 PM »
Itoje on the bench? really?!

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2038 on: November 16, 2017, 02:26:53 PM »
I think there's 2 sides to that.  First is that Jones doesn't want to over use him (and he's said as much today) but the other is that the direct replacement for him in the team is Lawes, who's the form player in English rugby right now (in my opinion).  I still think that Robshaw is the one who will be really worried because Jones clearly rates Lawes and Itoje massively but wants a bit of extra bulk in the 2nd row early on.  Give Lauchbury or Kruis an hour at 4 with Itoje at 6 then move him forward for a back rower.  It means you can have Hughes and Simmonds/Clifford as your bench (assuming Vunipola starts) to bring on 2 destructive ball carriers which fits the whole 'finishers' approach.  Robshaw's real trump card is his work rate, but Lawes and Itoje easily match him on that and bring so much more threat with ball in hand, both in terms of power and technical skills.  I think once that change happens we'll be seeing the pack that he takes to the world cup.  The only question mark left is at Hooker but whilst Hartley and George are both playing well there's not much reason to change things around, especially with Hartley doing a great job as captain.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #2039 on: November 16, 2017, 07:53:39 PM »
I think once that change happens we'll be seeing the pack that he takes to the world cup.  The only question mark left is at Hooker but whilst Hartley and George are both playing well there's not much reason to change things around, especially with Hartley doing a great job as captain.

I saw something last week that said, from Wednesday, Jones hands over training to the captain and 9 and ten(s) [presumably including Farrell too].  Nothing was divulged about what that means in practice but it does emphasise the significance of having a captain that he trusts and possibly why Hartley gets selected ahead of George.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal