collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by paul_e
[Today at 02:00:53 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:52:38 PM]

Ollie Watkins by eamonn
[Today at 01:52:28 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Dave
[Today at 01:49:10 PM]

NSWE Investment by chrisw1
[Today at 01:47:33 PM]

The Running thread by Richard E
[Today at 01:42:41 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by dalians umbrella
[Today at 01:37:23 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Mister E
[Today at 01:29:15 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by paul_e
[Today at 02:00:53 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:52:38 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by eamonn
[Today at 01:52:28 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 01:50:16 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Dave
[Today at 01:49:10 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by eamonn
[Today at 01:48:07 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by chrisw1
[Today at 01:47:33 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Olneythelonely
[Today at 01:47:05 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 387537 times)

Offline peter w

Re: International Rugby
« Reply #1635 on: March 30, 2017, 06:27:27 AM »
I asked before but no-one replied. What's happened to Christian Wade to fall so far from the international scene? Injuries? He's been scoring tries for fun this season hasn't he?

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1636 on: March 30, 2017, 08:42:51 AM »
Concerns over his defence and lack of size.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1637 on: March 30, 2017, 09:20:11 AM »
I asked before but no-one replied. What's happened to Christian Wade to fall so far from the international scene? Injuries? He's been scoring tries for fun this season hasn't he?

Thought I had, Paul.
My thoughts are along the line of Great attack, Lightweight defence. Very similar to Roko at Bath.
I've seen a couple of time on the rugby highlights he's been, to easily for me, pushed aside. You'd never imagine Jack Nowell being taken out as easily.
Attack wise he's ahead of the lot

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1638 on: March 30, 2017, 09:21:41 AM »
His size wouldn't matter but his defence lets him down badly.  I hoped he'd improve enough to be sufficient but he's making the same mistakes every week still so I suspect he's one that will never make the step up.

Offline peter w

« Reply #1639 on: March 30, 2017, 10:03:22 AM »

Thought I had, Paul.
My thoughts are along the line of Great attack, Lightweight defence. Very similar to Roko at Bath.
I've seen a couple of time on the rugby highlights he's been, to easily for me, pushed aside. You'd never imagine Jack Nowell being taken out as easily.

Sorry, you may have neil, but I skipped a few pages around the Ireland defeat so I missed a few posts.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1640 on: March 30, 2017, 12:42:30 PM »

Thought I had, Paul.

If you watch the Solomona links I've put up the 2nd one is his hat-trick against wasps and the 2nd of those tries comes from him chipping ahead and Wade stumbling underneath the high ball.  In isolation you'd forgive him for losing his footing but misjudging the flight of the ball is something you see from him time and again.  defending in the line he's ok for me, despite his size he's powerful enough to generally be able to handle most backs but I think he relies on that power a bit too much and tries to use the touchline and shunt people out of play.  If you, as a 5'8 and 12 stone bloke try to do that against a Billy Vunipola you're going to end up looking like a mug every now and then, sometimes you have to accept that and just hit their legs even if you get trampled.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1641 on: March 30, 2017, 02:46:43 PM »
Those clips were great, Paul.
I hadn't seen the first try, in the corner, vrs Northampton. What a fantastic finish.
Yes, have to say I was a bit disappointed with CW missing the flight on that one try. I suppose in fairness to him, though, the chip over went against his running line so his pace may have gone against him.

I would like to see him have a crack at the top level just to see how he copes.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1642 on: March 30, 2017, 07:29:39 PM »
Not seen much of him. What's his style?

He can finish - http://sport.bt.com/video/solomona-scores-classy-try-on-premiership-debut-91364124047366

He can really finish - http://sport.bt.com/video/solomona-sizzles-in-sales-victory-over-leaders-wasps-91364157567009

and he's got gas - http://sport.bt.com/video/solomona-pounces-for-superb-intercept-score-91364168125864

That'll do I reckon.  As Above, very quick, very sharp to spot gaps and a superb finisher (probably the best in the league right now).  My question marks are over his defence because he had a few problems in league and I'm not sure the change of codes will have done much to solve them just yet.

Cheers.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1643 on: March 30, 2017, 07:43:02 PM »

Thought I had, Paul.

Sorry, you may have neil, but I skipped a few pages around the Ireland defeat so I missed a few posts.

Just about to pull you up over calling me Neil, when I noticed I'd called you Paul 😯 sorry

Offline peter w

« Reply #1644 on: March 30, 2017, 08:16:07 PM »

Thought I had, Paul.

Just about to pull you up over calling me Neil, when I noticed I'd called you Paul 😯 sorry

winky fella

Offline nigel

« Reply #1645 on: April 08, 2017, 10:48:14 AM »
Interesting read.
Maybe we should be careful what we wish for regarding too much change.
In fairness there have been some very good ideas on this thread which, if implemented correctly, wouldn't result in this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2017/04/06/super-12-rugby-shambles-say-former-stars-lament-decline-standards/

Online paul_e

« Reply #1646 on: April 08, 2017, 12:40:57 PM »
I think that's missing some of the reasons for the problems but adding too much complexity to the system and more importantly too much churn is a very real problem.  That's why I firmly believe that any promotion/relegation in the 6N needs to be over a 4 year period at least.

For me the biggest problem in super league rugby right now is that the aussie and SA teams lose their best players to Europe every year. 

Offline peter w

« Reply #1647 on: April 08, 2017, 04:59:43 PM »
This has been going on for years. i remember being in South Africa a few years back and reading an article lamenting the Super 12 then. the problem is also one of distance. No away fans so the intensity of games are lacking compared to the Heineken Cup where each game is played in almost international like conditions. This then brings sponsors and more money in meaning that the top clubs can then spend more on the best players. it's been something that's been on the cards for a while and is inevitable.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1648 on: April 08, 2017, 06:24:43 PM »
This has been going on for years. i remember being in South Africa a few years back and reading an article lamenting the Super 12 then. the problem is also one of distance. No away fans so the intensity of games are lacking compared to the Heineken Cup where each game is played in almost international like conditions. This then brings sponsors and more money in meaning that the top clubs can then spend more on the best players. it's been something that's been on the cards for a while and is inevitable.

Yep, the distance between the teams is the other big factor.  The format changes were intended to limit that as much as to extend the number of teams so I think the criticism in the article is a touch unfair in that regard as well.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1649 on: April 17, 2017, 07:33:42 PM »
JJ not going to make Lions squad, really?!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal