collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fitness  (Read 7095 times)

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
Re: Fitness
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2015, 10:53:44 AM »
Players are much bigger, fitter and stronger now than in the past. If you disagree, point me in the direction of a Paul Gascoigne-type physique in the modern game.
Wayne Rooney ?

Definitely Rooney but you could also add Carlos Tevez, Ilkay Gundogan, Ade Akinfenwa and this chap:

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2015, 10:56:00 AM »
I walked past the guy who took a picture of those hideous scarfs on Sunday for that Tweet.

Offline Quiet Lion

• GM : Feb, 2013
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2015, 11:17:07 AM »
Players are 10x fitter now than in the past and it is not even close

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2015, 01:03:37 PM »
I had the privilege of sharing an office for a number of years with Ron Pickering. He told me that if a person was staved to the point of death, the very first energy from the very first food fed to that person would go to the brain.  Survival of the human species required our ancestors to outwit a sabre tooth tiger not to out run or out jump it.

The brain's only energy source is glucose.  Other tissues can, in the short term and when under stress, use other energy substrates.  That's why the first signs of glucose deficiency affect the brain and why, as you say, the brain gets priority when fed.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2015, 02:01:18 PM »
The brain's only energy source is glucose.  Other tissues can, in the short term and when under stress, use other energy substrates.  That's why the first signs of glucose deficiency affect the brain and why, as you say, the brain gets priority when fed.
That's not true, the brain can, and does, utilize ketone bodies (up to 70%) to replace glucose during fasting or low-carb situations. Some glucose is always required, but it is not the only energy source.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2015, 06:24:50 PM »
That's not true, the brain can, and does, utilize ketone bodies (up to 70%) to replace glucose during fasting or low-carb situations. Some glucose is always required, but it is not the only energy source.

True (and apologies) - I should have said glucose is the preferred source.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2015, 07:49:24 PM »
I reckon our fitness levels went down when Keane left the backroom.

Please, do elaborate.....
Because it did.

Not really elaborating is it?

Any players look worse than others for fitness after Keane left?

Any particular games you thought we really looked tired?

What do you think RK brought to the table that we clearly missed when he left?

Just interested......

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2015, 06:50:45 AM »
Thank you CT and oldhill. I love H and V when so much can be learned from so many people. Without being flippant perhaps somebody should ensure Sanchez gets a big drink of Lucozade on the hour Mark, smuggled on in a sponge if necessary.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2015, 02:02:51 PM »
Thank you CT and oldhill. I love H and V when so much can be learned from so many people. Without being flippant perhaps somebody should ensure Sanchez gets a big drink of Lucozade on the hour Mark, smuggled on in a sponge if necessary.

A shot of his country's best might be better.

Offline Kevin_Brum12

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2015, 08:18:06 AM »
Eva Carneiro: Chelsea doctor leaves after Jose Mourinho row

Chelsea doctor Eva Carneiro has decided to leave the club - six weeks after criticism from manager Jose Mourinho.

Carneiro had her role downgraded after Mourinho said his medical staff were "naive" for treating Eden Hazard during the 2-2 draw with Swansea on 8 August.

Chelsea asked Carneiro, 42, to return to work, but she has decided not to and is now considering her legal position.

The Football Association is looking into a complaint that Mourinho used abusive or sexist language towards her.

Chelsea say they do not comment on internal staffing matters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34328940

Now, given our fitness is an issue and one of the top physios in football will be seeking alternative employment should we not try and get her on the AVFC staff?  Especially to rub one in the eye of Jose?

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2015, 08:39:24 AM »
I would give her a shot in the job as well. Don't know how good is our current Doctor though.

Offline peter w

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2015, 08:59:56 AM »
I hope we don't descend into sexism. But I would give her the job based solely on her looks. Actually, no I wouldn't but I do find her rather attractive. I don't know if I do but there's something attractive about female doctor's , nurses, dentists etc etc who can mother you and be not be related to you.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2015, 09:32:05 AM »
Speaking of sexism, kind of unfortunate for Mourinho that the doctor he got pissed off with was a laydey.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal