collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Bad English
[Today at 03:19:14 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Hookeysmith
[Today at 03:08:36 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 03:04:08 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeB
[Today at 02:54:38 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 02:33:46 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by chrisw1
[Today at 02:25:44 PM]

Diego Carlos by Demitri_C
[Today at 02:25:16 PM]

Pre-season 2024/25 by Somniloquism
[Today at 01:40:42 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The who are we actually going to beat in the next few months thread?  (Read 16631 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
We need something today big time looking at our fixture list. I would've been fuming with just a point but to lose it will drain the players and wow the two derbies are massive now, dosen't bear thinking about it not to win either. Will leave aside SHA and just look at league points:

WBA (H)- Well after last season you'd think we'd psychologically have their number but Pulis would watch that today and see how we concede two goals from high balls and really work on their delivery during the week. They also have a little more pace than last season out wide. Think that will be a draw.

Liverpool (A)- Normally do very well here but Coutinho will be back and think Benteke is destined to score. Defeat.

Stoke (H)- Seems a real struggle to beat these at VP, think we've only done it once since they came up. They've had a poor start but have two back to back home games against Leicester and Bournemouth so think they'll pick up by the time they turn up here.
Draw.

Chelsea (A)- Chelsea will pick up form by next month. Nothing.

Swansea (H)- Got a strange feeling this is the sort of game we'll win as even though Swansea have done well against us recently, they'll come and play and we'll get some space. Looks like it could be desperate stakes by then.

Spurs (A)- Will be generous and give us a point as ex manager factor worked last season.

Man. City (H)- Atmosphere should be good if you know who is involved but we'll do well to get anything. Defeat.

So 6 points takes us up to the grand total of 10 points by the middle of November. All seems a bit groundhog day dosen't it and I'd be surprised if we're out of the bottom 3 with that.

Am worried as other teams like Watford and Norwich are picking up wins already, at least last season Burnley didn't win under November and QPR looked equally poor but so far Sunderland are the only team I've seen that look certs to go down.

Offline aj2k77

Re: The who are we actually going to beat in the next few months thread?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 07:50:38 PM »
I'm not as despondent about the team as last season. There's goals in that team and some of the play is good, it's the stupid mistakes being repeated over and over by players and management getting me down. It looks like another season of struggle that I think we will just have the quality to pull through.

I think we will beat Stoke, Albion and draw with Swansea, might sneak a point at Spurs, they look crap at the moment. 11 or 12 pts from 12 games, shit again.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 07:50:51 PM »
We've had a really kind set of opening fixtures and pissed them up the wall. I couldn't put my hand on my heart at the moment and say with certainty when we'll next pick up a win.

Offline KRS

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 12:16:49 AM »
Crystal Palace: Guzan/Amavi mistake (-1 point)
Sunderland: Clark mistake/fail to convert chances (-2 points)
Leicester: 2-0 up and we fucked it up (-3 points)

...the last 2 games are a bitter pill to swallow but what I'm encouraged by is that fact that this team is clearly starting to gel and we're playing some excellent football with genuine talented footballers. We're missing the final piece to the jigsaw upfront but we'll hopefully create enough chances to hold our own, and start to redress the balance of points lost with points gained.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 12:55:40 AM »
WDWLWLL from that 6 for me.

10 points, and a bit of a happier feeling about the world.

Offline KRS

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 01:39:33 AM »
WBA (H) - Win
Liverpool (A) - Draw
Stoke (H) - Win
Chelsea (A) - Loss
Swansea (H) - Draw
Spurs (A) - Draw
Man. City (H) - Loss
Total: 9pts

...not quite as optimistic but we should be aiming for at least 8pts from those fixtures.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 02:10:37 AM »
I think we'll beat Albion, Stoke and Spurs and draw with Liverpool. 10 points.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 09:39:05 AM »
If we get wins against West Brom and the Blues then I could see it as a bit of a spring board.  I think those fixtures could important as they are home games again we don't want to leave it too long until we get off the mark at VP and with them being derbies it would be even more of a boast.  But if we struggle then we really could be in for it.

I am almost hopeing for West Brom to score first because if you go on recent displays at home we seem to respond better when we go behind than if we score first.  We should win that game, but it does kinda have draw written all over it.  Would love Lescott to score the winner of course :D

Think we will beat Stoke because they tend to be poor travelers and don't have a great record at Villa Park.  Liverpool we might be playing at a good time, but then who knows with us.  Wouldn't surprise me if we either go really positive and get an impressive 1-3 win or go the other way and lose by two or three.  We don't seem to do solid 0-0's at the moment do we.  Chelsea I think we be coming back into form when we meet them so I think we will likely lose there. 

Will go for about seven points and fingers crossed progress in the Cup.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 05:38:17 PM »
Can't win at home (again), can't keep clean sheets (despite seemingly having a much better back 4 on ideas), can't control midfield (why have we ditched 4-3-2-1 which was working reasonably well run in to last season), have taken 1 point, 1 point from Sunderland, West Brom, Palace and Leicester.

Seriously worried.

The promoted teams are a lot better this year aswell.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 05:39:40 PM »
I think bibs will beat skins at Bodymoor on Monday.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 05:40:05 PM »
No idea, but I'd like to know if we are ever going to be even a reasonable team again. We look to be in terminal decline.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 05:45:01 PM »
No idea, but I'd like to know if we are ever going to be even a reasonable team again. We look to be in terminal decline.

It does certainly look like whoever we sign, whoever the manager is, the Premier league has worn us down over the last 4-5 years and we've had enough of it.

Big thing for me is we just need new ownership as that's ultimately where the direction and ambition for the club comes from.

Let's just hope we're still in the Premier League when eventually we get sold.

Offline KRS

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 08:19:30 PM »
Without Gueye and Traore, I'm thinking we may actually struggle to pick up any points from the next 6 games. If that is the case then theres no doubt that TS will be gone...or should be.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 08:40:24 PM »
we'd struggle to beat ourselves at the moment

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 08:47:30 PM »

It does certainly look like whoever we sign, whoever the manager is, the Premier league has worn us down over the last 4-5 years and we've had enough of it.

Big thing for me is we just need new ownership as that's ultimately where the direction and ambition for the club comes from.

Let's just hope we're still in the Premier League when eventually we get sold.

Yup.

I thought I would be more angry today, but I am getting pretty good at not letting Villa ruin my weekends any more.

It has taken years but I have now come to terms with the fact that I support a club that is not going to win anything and the only real "victory" we will get is survival in the last month by some jammy result or other followed by another season of struggle. When we do eventually go down we might enjoy coming back up again I suppose.

Anyway , sod it, I have put more emotion into this club than it deserves over the years. Time to step back and not worry about it as much.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal