collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What Is It About Aston Villa  (Read 5308 times)

Offline kippaxvilla2

What Is It About Aston Villa
« on: September 13, 2015, 07:09:20 PM »
I tried to think of a better title.

The question really is 'why are we so awful and have been for a few years at doing tactics and doing the basics right?'

For what seems like years we have had all too often games like today.  Despite the numerous and highly paid coaching and management staff, none of them have ever seemed to know how to make properly tactical substitutions, be able read and react to opposition tactical changes and more importantly do the basics right and act professionally to see out a tight game we are in control of.

Quite a few people were not surprised at the eventual outcome of today's game once the inevitable game changing goal went in with 20 minutes left.  I'm sure we are not alone and it probably hasn't happened nearly as many times as we think but it is so fcukin annoying nonetheless.

Take the current management team.  There's loads of them sat there.  Aren't any of them, just one of them not capable of spotting the signs and acting properly to sort them out. 

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: What Is It About Aston Villa
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 07:18:54 PM »
I've had this theory developing over the last few weeks that our problem is all based on how we are poorly perceived by the outside world.

Want a new manager?

Villa advisor: "Let's not aim too high, they're a struggling team, nothing much going on, they're pretty solid so any young, promising, decent manager that's had a good run in the Championship could possibly improve them. Either that or let's see who's available from the sacked manager list"

Want to sell your club?

Financial advisor to Football Advisor: "So you're telling me they're not really that exciting and even at a cut price deal they're not worth the effort?"

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 07:26:55 PM »
We should be putting our energies into finding decent coaching staff. Our squads have been so poorly drilled over the last half decade. We don't know how to be boring in the right areas, which is as important as being creative.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 07:27:39 PM »
We have a new back four, new manager, new fucking everything but I just knew we were going to throw that two goal lead away.

*shrugs*

Online aj2k77

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 07:29:12 PM »
I've had this theory developing over the last few weeks that our problem is all based on how we are poorly perceived by the outside world.

Want a new manager?

Villa advisor: "Let's not aim too high, they're a struggling team, nothing much going on, they're pretty solid so any young, promising, decent manager that's had a good run in the Championship could possibly improve them. Either that or let's see who's available from the sacked manager list"

Want to sell your club?

Financial advisor to Football Advisor: "So you're telling me they're not really that exciting and even at a cut price deal they're not worth the effort?"

We don't ourselves aim high enough. Managers plucked from dog shit clubs or retirement or with no experience. We constantly tell ourselves not to bother bidding for so and so because they wouldn't come, then see much smaller clubs pull of a coup or two. We have as big a downer on us as the outside world do sometimes.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 07:30:36 PM »
We have a new back four, new manager, new fucking everything but I just knew we were going to throw that two goal lead away.

*shrugs*

At half time, i *knew* we'd much much worse in the second half.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 07:30:50 PM »

*shrugs*

Yup. I hope paulie is still placing his usual bet. He'd be quids in after the last couple of games.

Offline steffo

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 07:34:31 PM »
Like in any industry it starts at the top. When the owner is not interested it filters down. Until then we will fly by the seat of our pants.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 07:36:35 PM »
We need a manager that can actually 'manage' this job and ideally not waste £15m+ on two traffic cones, when there was a ready made replacement available.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 07:37:06 PM »
To my regret I watched this in the pub as like Paulie I would still be lumping on Leicester at 2-0 just as insurance, I imagine their odds to win at 2-0 would've been ridiculous but then betting compilers don't know what a ridiculous club we are.

It's actually a good topic by Kippax.

Think about it, we change managers, we spend god knows how much on new first 11s every few years, think about all the different defensive combinations we've had in the last 5 years alone and still we bottle leads, still we rarely win on TV, still we can't even get up to mid table mediocrity.

My theory last season was yes we were abysmal under Lambert, embarrasingly so but changing the manager would only be cosmetic as the big problem is we need fresh ownership with fresh ideas.

Luckily Sherwood provided that short term fix and I'd much rather have him than Lambert but it just seems we're going round in circles each season now.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 07:37:34 PM »
Obviously I don't follow other teams fortunes as closely, but there can't be many others that excel in buckling under a bit of pressure and throw games away with the frequency we do, no matter the personnel or manager. How often do we mount a stirring comeback with a late winner and the crowd scaring the shit out of the opposition?
Maybe we do manage it more than I think, I'm just more comfortable wallowing for now.

What's worse of all is that games like these are enough to piss you off to the extent that more rational family/friends/partner around you are best off not in your company for a couple of hours afterwards.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 07:39:48 PM »

*shrugs*

this.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 07:41:09 PM »

Want a new manager?

Want to sell your club?

We don't ourselves aim high enough. Managers plucked from dog shit clubs or retirement or with no experience. We constantly tell ourselves not to bother bidding for so and so because they wouldn't come, then see much smaller clubs pull of a coup or two. We have as big a downer on us as the outside world do sometimes.

It's a strange one because we do pay them huge salaries.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 07:42:47 PM »
How many fans say this about their teams? It's not just us, it's probably about 90% of teams.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 07:44:13 PM »
Excellent topic, it isn't just me then, but of course I knew that already. Do other teams do the same as often as we do? I'm sure there are clubs out there whose fans think the same but it's difficult right now to think who they might be. Maybe it's just what you get when you pay the sort of middling prices we do for players? Half a game's worth of professionalism and commitment. But then how do other clubs manage to not be like us on the same budget? I'm inclined to agree with Steffo, just how scared would you be if you had to answer to Randy Learner ultimately? I certainly wouldn't. But I don't really know the answer and I'm utterly fed up with the whole charade. We really are pathetic most of the time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal