collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: ex footballers gone wrong  (Read 28631 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: ex footballers gone wrong
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2015, 01:59:05 PM »

Offline PeterWithe

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2015, 02:01:51 PM »
I like the fact that he will be forever remembered for something untrue which he has no control over. Bit like whatsit playing saxaphone on Baker Street. Bob summat.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2015, 02:05:15 PM »
I like the fact that he will be forever remembered for something untrue which he has no control over. Bit like whatsit playing saxaphone on Baker Street. Bob summat.

Or, and I confess to only recently knowing this, the American guy who bought London Bridge knew full well what he was buying. Many of his countrymen didn't.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2015, 02:05:53 PM »
Another non Villa player, but it was shocking to see Kenny Sansom in the paper a while ago, alcoholic and pot less, was reduced to sleeping on a park bench.

He's having a terrible time.

I was also reading about (the very ill) Ralph Milne at the weekend, and he too has had it rough, to say the least.

I always feel really bad for some of the players who missed out on the "set for life" money by being around too early. I read the other day that Nigel Spink is now a van courier. I'm not suggesting he's anything but happy with his lot, not at all, but I wonder how many players in the top flight these days will ever have to work like that in times to come?

I thought it was Nigel Spink's own courier business.

It probably is, but he's still driving a van for a living (as per a tweet the other week) whereas your Nicky Shoreys are reclining in large thrones made of gold, in enormous country mansions.

In the series of podcasts that the Guardian did over the summer of interviews with recently retired footballers  (which were all very good and well worth listening to, the Dean Windass one particularly), Matt Le Tissier was talking on this subject and mentioned that the biggest contract that he had in his career was £4,000 per week. Which is fine, he's probably not living in poverty and £200,000 per year is still rather a lot.

But for somebody who was a) pretty fucking brilliant, b) didn't retire that long ago in the grand scheme of things and c) probably in a position to earn millions of pounds a year, even if he were just staying with Southampton had he been playing ten years later, that's basically peanuts. I expect that we have players in our youth team, who will never even make it onto our bench earning considerably more than that.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2015, 02:07:13 PM »
We probably paid Salifou double that amount!

Says it all, really.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2015, 02:08:00 PM »
Didn't Le Tissier go out with some actress from Home and Away - possibly Marilyn?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 02:14:09 PM by aev »

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2015, 02:08:18 PM »

Or, and I confess to only recently knowing this, the American guy who bought London Bridge knew full well what he was buying. Many of his countrymen didn't.

*nods*

Fucking astonishing that Sterling will be sold for £49m. Give Liverpool their dues. They've sucked £169m out of other clubs for Torres, Suarez and Sterling. Incredible.

Liverpool's chief negotiator must be the same guy who sold London Bridge to that American who thought he was getting Tower Bridge.

A good story, but not true I'm afraid. They had planned to knock it down, leave the remains in the river and just rebuild it as it wasn't wide enough for modern (at the time) traffic. There was a trend in America to buy up European buildings at the time so they advertised it for sale and sent out loads of brochures, with pictures of London Bridge on.

But had they bought the right bridge? Legend has it that McCulloch thought he was getting Tower Bridge, but according to Elborough (author of London Bridge In America), legend doesn’t know what it’s talking about. When McCulloch came to the UK to sign on the dotted line, he was photographed on London Bridge with Tower Bridge in the background. He was no fool. Indeed, he comes over as rather an admirable character: bold, adventurous and a bit batty.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2015, 02:23:17 PM »
Sky TV and rich oligarchs have murdered English football.  OK, we have a more cosmopolitan mix of average footballer to watch these days, but just about everything else about the game is increasingly shit:

1) Bang average footballers are earning millions and millions, while the cost of going to games for families is prohibitive for many families.
2) The league is less competitive than it's ever been, with the top 5 effectively a closed cartel.  I remember teams like us, Newcastle, Leeds, Ipswich and Forest pushing hard for the title, and as things stand now that's unthinkable.
3) The England team has suffered with so very few opportunities for young English players coming through.  Look at the recent England squads to see how utterly mediocre most of the players are.

Offline PeterWithe

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2015, 02:28:17 PM »
Bob Holness. Its just come back to me.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2015, 02:32:55 PM »

and Dion Dublin's dad was in Showaddywaddy.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2015, 02:33:11 PM »
Which B was a British Agent played by Bob Holness?

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2015, 02:34:06 PM »

*nods*

Fucking astonishing that Sterling will be sold for £49m. Give Liverpool their dues. They've sucked £169m out of other clubs for Torres, Suarez and Sterling. Incredible.

Liverpool's chief negotiator must be the same guy who sold London Bridge to that American who thought he was getting Tower Bridge.

A good story, but not true I'm afraid. They had planned to knock it down, leave the remains in the river and just rebuild it as it wasn't wide enough for modern (at the time) traffic. There was a trend in America to buy up European buildings at the time so they advertised it for sale and sent out loads of brochures, with pictures of London Bridge on.

But had they bought the right bridge? Legend has it that McCulloch thought he was getting Tower Bridge, but according to Elborough (author of London Bridge In America), legend doesn’t know what it’s talking about. When McCulloch came to the UK to sign on the dotted line, he was photographed on London Bridge with Tower Bridge in the background. He was no fool. Indeed, he comes over as rather an admirable character: bold, adventurous and a bit batty.

I was on one of those Tour Bus teams (couple of weeks after Cup Final) with a Gooner as guide (he was alright to be fair) and he illuminated me.

Was it the Black Eyed Peas who did a song London Bridge where Tower Bridge featured prominently?

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2015, 02:36:03 PM »

and Dion Dublin's dad was in Showaddywaddy.

John Lukic mom was stewardess on ill fated flight of of Munich in 1958. I remember him being interviewed and he said it would have been a hell of a pregnancy 3 years in total.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2015, 02:42:04 PM »
That was interesting.

I know a few people in Cork, not remotely interested in football, who say that Keane is pretty well known for helping charities and clubs there and whilst at Man U was often at the airport picking up people from Cork who were over to visit (their point being that he was loyal to his circle of friends and took the time to pick them up in person).

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2015, 03:27:36 PM »
Dexys Midnight Runners asked that Jocky Wilson be used during their Top of the Pops performance of 'Jackie Wilson said'. Wish somebody would tell all those clueless makers of crap 'Who remembers the 80's?' type TV programmes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal