collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: ex footballers gone wrong  (Read 28632 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: ex footballers gone wrong
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 11:50:31 AM »
Another non Villa player, but it was shocking to see Kenny Sansom in the paper a while ago, alcoholic and pot less, was reduced to sleeping on a park bench.

He's having a terrible time.

I was also reading about (the very ill) Ralph Milne at the weekend, and he too has had it rough, to say the least.

I always feel really bad for some of the players who missed out on the "set for life" money by being around too early. I read the other day that Nigel Spink is now a van courier. I'm not suggesting he's anything but happy with his lot, not at all, but I wonder how many players in the top flight these days will ever have to work like that in times to come?

Milne has had it very rough, as he's now dead.

That's pretty rough.

He'll be in heaven now with Sir Booby Charlton.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 12:12:03 PM »
Terrible to hear Robbie Savage yesterday, he was babbling incoherently on the radio, only heard a bit of whatever it was but I assume it was a programme about the permanently bewildered.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2015, 12:17:01 PM »
Terrible to hear Robbie Savage yesterday, he was babbling incoherently on the radio, only heard a bit of whatever it was but I assume it was a programme about the permanently bewildered.

Maybe we could help him with the aid of your brothers charity. We could all post our memories of how much of a twat he was as a player, and I'll happily volunteer to go and read them out to him in person.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2015, 12:18:05 PM »
Mike Tindall

If you mean the ex-Villa player, he's particularly happy with life now.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2015, 12:27:33 PM »
Mike Tindall

If you mean the ex-Villa player, he's particularly happy with life now.

Glad to hear it. Last I heard he was walking round Bromsgrove, calling himself the "disciple of Jesus" and trying to cobble together the money to go on a missionary trip to spread the word of God in Africa.

Offline Villatillidie25

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2015, 12:47:44 PM »
This thread made me wonder what Gary Charles was up to now, which led me to this:

Roy Keane and Gary Charles: A different perspective on the Man Utd legend

It also offers an interesting alternative perspective on Roy Keane.

Good on him. Both of them in fact.

Just an excellent article. I wonder where/how he found this story?

Nice to see a completely different side to Keane, someone who I have always thought a fairly deplorable character, partially driven by his media image but also his own personal actions. While this doesn't completely change my image of him, it is pretty impressive given that there are probably not many people who would have been willing to go to the lengths that he has to help someone who, by the sounds of it, was not an incredibly close friend at the time of Charles' troubles

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2015, 12:50:39 PM »
This thread made me wonder what Gary Charles was up to now, which led me to this:

Roy Keane and Gary Charles: A different perspective on the Man Utd legend

It also offers an interesting alternative perspective on Roy Keane.

Good on him. Both of them in fact.

Just an excellent article. I wonder where/how he found this story?

He mentions in the article that he is a friend of Charles.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2015, 01:14:25 PM »
Another non Villa player, but it was shocking to see Kenny Sansom in the paper a while ago, alcoholic and pot less, was reduced to sleeping on a park bench.

I was also reading about (the very ill) Ralph Milne at the weekend, and he too has had it rough, to say the least.

I always feel really bad for some of the players who missed out on the "set for life" money by being around too early. I read the other day that Nigel Spink is now a van courier. I'm not suggesting he's anything but happy with his lot, not at all, but I wonder how many players in the top flight these days will ever have to work like that in times to come?

Des Walker is a lorry driver who does stops where I work. He's a bit of a mardy fucker, obviously I don't know for sure if it's because he has to do a job like that but I suspect it is.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2015, 01:27:39 PM »
Sorry, different sport but I read this article this morning and thought how the highs of a career as a pro sportsman must make the low, or normality, of every day life harder to accept.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34167399

Chris Lewis the cricketer is another which springs to mind.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2015, 01:33:39 PM »
Phil King's got an OK pub in Swindon, so far as any pub in Swindon can be OK.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2015, 01:47:39 PM »

Des Walker is a lorry driver who does stops where I work. He's a bit of a mardy fucker, obviously I don't know for sure if it's because he has to do a job like that but I suspect it is.

What a fantastic defender he was.

See, that's what annoys me. A great defender like that having to drive a lorry for years after retiring, and truly mediocre guff like Habib Beye set for life.

I say "annoys", that's a bit strong, but hey ho.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2015, 01:52:11 PM »

I thought it was Nigel Spink's own courier business.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2015, 01:54:56 PM »

I thought it was Nigel Spink's own courier business.

It probably is, but he's still driving a van for a living (as per a tweet the other week) whereas your Nicky Shoreys are reclining in large thrones made of gold, in enormous country mansions.

probably

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2015, 01:57:19 PM »
Anyone remember Marco Boogers who went from playing top flight football, not very successfully mind, with West Ham to living in a caravan.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2015, 01:58:04 PM »
I thought Boogers went awol and was found in a caravan?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal