collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:16:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:07:39 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Richard E
[Today at 11:00:08 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tim Sherwood vs Gary Rowett  (Read 17517 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Tim Sherwood vs Gary Rowett
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2015, 04:13:49 PM »
He has a lot of potential, but Lambert looked a cracking manager in divisions 2 and 3. His 'success' so far is losing twice in the division 3 playoffs with Burton, and not getting small heath relegated to division 3.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2015, 04:22:15 PM »
He has a lot of potential, but Lambert looked a cracking manager in divisions 2 and 3. His 'success' so far is losing twice in the division 3 playoffs with Burton, and not getting small heath relegated to division 3.

not getting them relegated was pretty phenomenal considering all that was going on in the background, they finished 10th

no guarantees of course as Lambert has proved, looked the right man at the time but was found badly wanting

To be fair AVFC has been a managerial graveyard for 25 years or so, most of those were arguably decent appointments at the time too

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2015, 04:31:02 PM »
Who is the better manager? And do you think he would do a big Eck and defect if he was offered the Villa job?

Gary Rowett is a proven better manager so far anyway, doing a cracking job in very difficult circumstances.

He has more management experience than Sherwood and you can see that in his media dealings

Suspect he wont last the season at St Andrews, after all the money spent in the top two divisions in England this summer I think there will be plenty of vacancies that Rowett will have a chance at.

Of course he would defect but there are other championship clubs with plenty of money that would be a better fit for his next move.

Sorry Bronte, but how is Rowett a ''proven'' better manager? You mean with all his experience of managing a club at the highest level?

he has more experience managing clubs and getting the best out of the resources at his disposal

that is all a manager can do

would he be found wanting at a club like Villa or Newcastle right now? yes I suspect he would so a half way house to genuine championship contenders would be a bright move or ideally a stint in Europe.

too many young British managers get lost very early in their careers like Lambert for a variety of reasons but chief among them being unable to recognise their own limitations

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2015, 04:42:14 PM »
10th in the Second division isn't phenomenal for me. Taking a club like Bournemouth with a ground smaller than the Holte End is phenomenal. There's a huge list of managers that have done bugger all like Rowett in football and a big list that have achieved multiple promotions and faded away which is a lot more. I'm not saying he's a bad manager, just that he's not proven anything, certainly not proven that he's better than Sherwood. We seem to forget what a sorry state we were, national joke level, when he took over and ended up staying up and in the FA Cup final. All done at a higher level than league 2 and the Championship.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2015, 08:47:10 PM »
Still can't get my head round "Birmingham City University"!
No it's not easy as it's a very wide building.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2015, 07:04:37 AM »
I think he has been hyped over the actual side he has produced, and on seeing blues admittedly only a couple times, hid tactics and style have reminded me a bit of O'Neill, kind of functional counter attack. If that will work week in week out in the prem remains to be seen. On the other hand I don't think Sherwood has worked out hid style or philosophy yet to be honest and I think his in game management leaves a lot to be desired, but his man management and will to attack is infectious and enjoyable to watch. I like him, but think there is going to have to be an improvement over time. Almost grow with the squad he has built. He is the first Villa manager I can recall in a long time who has had a coherent and well thought out transfer strategy which was impressive. Time will tell on both but Rowett will be in a premier league job before May so we will find out who is better then.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 07:06:12 AM by ozzjim »

Offline El Mayor

« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2015, 06:19:47 PM »
Feel sorry for Tim. I think he might be out of a job before the end of September  :'(

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2015, 06:25:25 PM »
Wahey, watched the Villa again have you? Of course, you're not obsessed though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal