collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Football fans and the refugee crisis  (Read 21422 times)

Offline rjp

• aka Rob
  • GM : 07.05.2024
Football fans and the refugee crisis
« on: September 03, 2015, 06:46:27 PM »
I've just read this about a banner at the Leicester game in support of refugees. Is it the brigada boys? Personally I'm glad to see some people remember what the word refugee actually means and I'm proud that our club is associated with a more caring message.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/03/english-football-supporters-groups-refugees-welcome-banners

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Football fans and the refugee crisis
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 06:49:59 PM »
It is.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 06:58:18 PM »
Will the banners be written on the back of Je suis Charlie ones left over from earlier in the year?

The humanitarian crisis of Syrian refugees (and the exploitation of economic migrants from across the Middle East and Africa) needs to be dealt with immediately, but banners at football grounds simply smacks of bandwagon-jumping, not least because the grounds themselves unfortunately remain repositories for significant numbers of our fellow citizens who would make those in desperate need of refuge anything but welcome.

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 07:04:45 PM »
Will the banners be written on the back of Je suis Charlie ones left over from earlier in the year?

The humanitarian crisis of Syrian refugees (and the exploitation of economic migrants from across the Middle East and Africa) needs to be dealt with immediately, but banners at football grounds simply smacks of bandwagon-jumping, not least because the grounds themselves unfortunately remain repositories for significant numbers of our fellow citizens who would make those in desperate need of refuge anything but welcome.

This is precisely why it it important to show our solidarity...we are all lumped together with the knuckledraggers by the general public. This will show them that football fans are full of compassion as well as beer

Offline rjp

• aka Rob
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 07:13:20 PM »

This is precisely why it it important to show our solidarity...we are all lumped together with the knuckledraggers by the general public. This will show them that football fans are full of compassion as well as beer

That's my take on it too. It's nice to be associated with something other than the EDL as a football fan.  That perception exists among the masses unfortunately.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 07:14:28 PM »

I disagree.  Seeing the banners in Germany the other week was possibly the first time I'd see mass approval for a more pro-active approach to the crisis.  The politicians have successfully ignored the problem because there has been little pressure put on them to sort it out.  These public, possibly bandwagon jumping (don't care if it is) measures are a positive step to forcing change. 

Offline rjp

• aka Rob
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 07:22:25 PM »

I disagree.  Seeing the banners in Germany the other week was possibly the first time I'd see mass approval for a more pro-active approach to the crisis.  The politicians have successfully ignored the problem because there has been little pressure put on them to sort it out.  These public, possibly bandwagon jumping (don't care if it is) measures are a positive step to forcing change. 

Our current crop of politicians will change their tune to whatever they perceive is the public mood of the day.  UKIP shout far too loud in this debate for my liking.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 07:25:53 PM »

Our current crop of politicians will change their tune to whatever they perceive is the public mood of the day.  UKIP shout far too loud in this debate for my liking.

To an extent, isn't that how to should be?  Cameron may have mis-read the public opinion and assumed that UKIP's views are shared by the masses.  This sort of banner is an opportunity to at least display and alternative message.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 07:34:02 PM »
George Ramsay and William McGregor were economic migrants.

Offline Andy Poole

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 07:48:09 PM »

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 08:02:04 PM »
www.refugees-welcome.net

That, Andy, is the kind of proactive campaign that I am all in favour of.   Unfortunately though, most of those currently daubing "Refugees Welcome" on an old bed-sheet would have no intention of doing anything quite as meaningful or practical as offering up their spare room to a refugee.  And that is why I feel the whole thing is right-on tokenism, and ultimately of as much limited benefit as getting 157 Likes for posting the same message on Facebook.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 08:09:38 PM »
Hmm I can see both sides of the argument here .
What I will say is it's easy to make a banner hold it up pre kick off and get on TV (sky will love this), zoom in, Tyler scripted comments, fade background music and cut to commercial.

How about if 50 Syrians moved into your street though ??

Offline Andy Poole

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 08:15:41 PM »
I have a spare room and I've let my local council know this. I am more than willing to take in a refugee.
It has confused the hell out of the council! I think they'd rather tax me but I'm not on any benefits.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 08:16:47 PM »
What I will say is it's easy to make a banner hold it up pre kick off and get on TV (sky will love this), zoom in, Tyler scripted comments, fade background music and cut to commercial.

I'd go round and welcome them.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 08:17:32 PM »

I'd go round and welcome them.

And sell them cakes and fanzines.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal