collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Best 11 / 18....?  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Matt Collins

Re: Best 11 / 18....?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 12:34:55 PM »
For now as we get to grips with things I'd go

Guzan - Hutton Richards lescott Amavi - Westwood Sanchez Gana - grealish - Gestede Sinclair

As we get up to speed i hope we can go more attacking:

Guzan - bacuna Richards lescott Amavi - Sanchez Gana - Traore grealish Sinclair - Gestede

Westwood and veretout to be regulars in there too, for Sanchez and one of the three AMs

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 12:35:12 PM »
Guzan, Hutton, Amavi, Richards, Lescott, Gueye, Sanchez, Traore, Grealish, Sinclair, Gestede (4-2-3-1)

Subs: Bunn, Clark, Westwood, Veretout, Agbonlahor, Gil, Ayew

That still gives us the likes of Kozak, Ilori, Bacuna etc to bring in as required.

It looks on paper a decent squad, let's hope that look translates on to the pitch!

I like the look of the starting XI
I think we have to have a focal CF to bring a very dynamic and mobile attacking midfield into play. There are certainly players who now can get above the forward if the ball is held a fraction

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 12:42:20 PM »
I like the fact that we have several options now and something Sherwood was keen on creating, different ways of playing. The side should mature and evolve to the point that we can mix and match based on availability and opponents. Look at squad now vs what Lambert had and it appears on paper at least that it is so much stronger everywhere other than our primary striker. And let's see how that comes along because hopefully the midfield gets a lot more involved in creating and taking chances, and players like Gestede and Ayew get up to speed.

Lots of reason for optimism.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 12:56:00 PM »
I agree, there are many different variations on offer based on going more defensive or attacking. A formation that intrigues me but would mean not playing Grealish and Traore (so therefore is pretty unthinkable) would be 5-3-2 like Little used to play. I think we could have the best pair of wing backs in the league potentially and go
Guzan
RCB Okore
CB Richards
LCB Lescott
RWB Bacuna
LWB Amavi
DM Sanchez
AM Gueye
AM Veretout
CF Gestede
CF Sinclair

But at this stage i would sooner see what Traore and Grealish can do as wingers than play with wing backs.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 01:14:07 PM »
I think Veretout willl be the first name on the teamsheet by Christmas, he just needs to get his fitness up to speed, but I really think he's got the lot in his locker.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 01:48:12 PM »
Veretout does have a great rep. The YouTube videos presumably don't do him justice as he looks pretty functional in those

Really happy with having a proper squad for once. But whichever team you pick from those above, the variations in attack leave a lot of question marks

And just to labour the point, I really really don't think Sinclair can play the 1 in a 4231 or 433. I just don't see it at all.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 01:54:10 PM by Matt Collins »

Offline thegreatdane

• Aston Villa defender Olof Mellberg paid more than
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2015, 02:41:42 PM »
I am unsure to Sinclair playing as a front man.

GK GUZAN
LB AMAVI
CB LESCOTT
CB CLARK
RB RICHARDS

CM GUEYE
CM VERETOUT / WESTWOOD
CM(A) GREALISH

LM) TRAORE
RM) SINCLAIR

ST) GESTEDE

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2015, 07:02:52 PM »
The positive now is that we have a squad which is good and competitive enough to have flexibility. My opinion is that Sherwood may set up either differently for home and away or pick sides depending on the opposition. Players will have to be used to being a squad rather than team member and that no one is guaranteed a place. The result should be that every player will be busting a gut each game they play as to make harder for TS to drop them. A couple of wins under the belt and this squad could really be flying by Christmas. Bring it on!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal