collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 10:44:59 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Will we ever make the big four  (Read 10163 times)

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
Re: Will we ever make the big four
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2015, 02:42:04 PM »
Do Sky pay or get paid for the overseas rights? I think they get paid a bit to provide coverage but the big money is paid to the Premier League clubs for the rights.

I thought Sky paid the Premier League for the right to sell on overseas broadcasts, then got whatever they can from whomever they can.

No, they only buy the UK rights. All other rights are auctioned by the Premier League, so the influence of Sky on foreign markets doesn't exist.

As for competition, I *know* Sky would like more teams competing, it makes better TV, this better Advrtising and subscription revenue.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2015, 10:31:28 PM »
We are already in the big four. We're just not in the top 4. Chelsea and Man City are not big clubs, they've just been massively financially doped the last few years. Let's not forget clowns like John Bumstead and a crowd of 8,000 not too long ago for a league game.

I love the Villa but could not claim we are today in the big four.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2015, 10:48:51 PM »
Do Sky pay or get paid for the overseas rights? I think they get paid a bit to provide coverage but the big money is paid to the Premier League clubs for the rights.

I thought Sky paid the Premier League for the right to sell on overseas broadcasts, then got whatever they can from whomever they can.

No, they only buy the UK rights. All other rights are auctioned by the Premier League, so the influence of Sky on foreign markets doesn't exist.

As for competition, I *know* Sky would like more teams competing, it makes better TV, this better Advrtising and subscription revenue.

Whichever way the deals are framed, it is Sky creating and distributing the content. Whatever Murdoch is, he isn't a philanthropist. Sky will get a cut somewhere along the line (in addition to markets where they are also the customer) and it will not be peanuts. They will have an interest in successful sales.

You can't beat a bit of IT*K*. If they really are in favour of a truly competitive PL the their broadcasting is totally at odds with their business objectives. Not a chance.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2015, 04:48:26 AM »
Not in our lifetimes, unless something radically changes. Such as a salary cap. I was reflecting on it earlier with a friend, and it really is just a massive stitch up. Spend big, buy the best players and pay top wages and you're a chance. Villa's ship sailed probably early - mid 90's. We got reasonably close when randy took over and brought oneill in, but not that close and it will not happen for us without some drastic correction happening in the league. Ffp is not going to help us get there. Needs to be a salary cap for things to change

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2015, 05:38:21 AM »

Whichever way the deals are framed, it is Sky creating and distributing the content. Whatever Murdoch is, he isn't a philanthropist. Sky will get a cut somewhere along the line (in addition to markets where they are also the customer) and it will not be peanuts. They will have an interest in successful sales.

You can't beat a bit of IT*K*. If they really are in favour of a truly competitive PL the their broadcasting is totally at odds with their business objectives. Not a chance.
there is co-operation between NBC and Sky over here.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal