collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Transfer Window - Satisfied or Not?  (Read 23408 times)

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
Re: Transfer Window - Satisfied or Not?
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2015, 05:47:06 PM »
The priority is a goal scorer agree SHQ, the others are on a wish list for later .

Online nigel

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2015, 07:51:19 PM »
I've gone for a striker, too.
But, do we go for a Gary Shaw type or an Andy Gray type centre forward as opposed to a Christian Benteke type centre forward?

I think Baccuna has done well in the role given to him. It has helped as Gueye (sp) seems to cover heck of a lot of ground defensively.
Baker and Okore are capable of slotting in at Centre back.
Guzan and Bunn are two very good keepers.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2015, 07:59:27 PM »
Of the positions mentioned in the poll:-

GK - an interesting one as TS did drop Brad.  I think he could/will be replaced if and when a better keeper we could realistically get becomes available.  Until then, I can't see anyone coming in just for the sake of it.

RB - personally happy here with a combination of Hutton and Bacuna dependent on whether the formation or opposition calls for attacking or defensive attributes.  Probably one for next summer.

CB - we've got enough here and think Tim is happy with a Clark and Richards partnership.

Midfield - as with CB, I think we're OK and also already spent a fair bit of money here this summer.

Striker - here is where I think we are lacking real quality.  I'd llove us to spend big here and really finish this squad off with a real top striker, but understand if that needs to wait for a later transfer window.

All in all, a very good window and we should be OK.  Everything else is now either a 'nice to have' or what would take us from (hopefully!) being a mid table side to one challenging for Europe.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 08:01:56 PM by Concrete John »

Offline supertom

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2015, 08:04:23 PM »
We just really need one of Gil and Grealish back. It will help out our forward immediately to have someone who will hold onto the ball and draw defenders out. And someone who can pick a pass. Grealish rarely loses the ball and hopefully he'll get even better this season.

Offline Marlon's Hairy Wood

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2015, 08:06:34 PM »
Just a striker for me too

Hutton and Bacuna are decent options at right back

Richards and Clark are playing well at centre back, and a fully fit Okore will be pushing them all the way. Baker's a very good 4th choice.

Crespo can also cover both positions

Midfield is fine.. Sanchez, Westwood, Gueye, Vertout and Gardner are good options, especially if we play two deeper, with Gil or Grealish just in front of those

The good thing is we know Sherwood definitely wants a striker too, so the manager and fans are on the same page there

Offline silhillvilla

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2015, 08:48:10 PM »
My only observation on Clark is, he's strong as an Ox and tackles well but he does make the odd howler and has a tendency to hoof the ball rather than look for a composed pass at times. Seeing him next to Micah Richards I think his faults get amplified. Ironically for the goal on Friday it was Richards who incorrectly went to ground yet Clarks deflection took it past a certain save for Guzan.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2015, 08:55:26 PM »
I am pleased with what we have done this transfer window assuming that Benteke leaving was a given.

I would be tempted to not buy anybody else and see how things go.  I would be inclined to bring two in on loan.  One would be striker so that Kozak could go out on loan and play regular football and one would be a left-sided central defender to allow Baker to go out on loan for the same reason as Kozak.

Sometimes you also get some free agents after the window closes.  It may be possible to pick up an experienced player from Europe to give extra cover in defence.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2015, 10:11:53 PM »
Judging is what we do on the internet though, it don't hurt anyone, we all do it we get some right and some badly wrong

If you hold judgement on a player Untill the end of the season you arnt speculating or offering an opinion you are stateing the obvious, anyone can do that,

It's the same as people who say 'give him a chance' it's the bloody internet it doesn't really count, as long as they receive the full support on the pitch what Nigel from St. Albans says on a football forum means nothing

Unless they read it of course, then they might have feelings,
in which case I take full responsibility for the rubbish performances of NRC and N'zog because I don't think I've ever written anything good about them ever

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2015, 10:40:37 PM »
I would be tempted to not buy anybody else and see how things go.  I would be inclined to bring two in on loan.  One would be striker so that Kozak could go out on loan and play regular football and one would be a left-sided central defender to allow Baker to go out on loan for the same reason as Kozak.

I can't see anybody coming in to be our 4th choice CB.  If we did get a defender in on loan it'd need to be someone better than Clark to take his place.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2015, 10:44:09 PM »
Some cover at LB wouldn't go amiss. Very happy with the window though.

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2015, 10:45:34 PM »

I can't see anybody coming in to be our 4th choice CB.  If we did get a defender in on loan it'd need to be someone better than Clark to take his place.

I would like to see Clark given a chance to make the position his own as it could save us a lot of money.  There are experienced older players that move to clubs on loan and willing not to be 1st choice.  The season is long and injuries and suspensions mean that few players play every game.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2015, 10:46:05 PM »
We've made some very astute purchases, but for me, we still definitely need another goalscoring option - and preferably a good one.

I can see lots of promise in various areas of this squad, but I still can't see where the goals are going to come from, and that's a worry.

Offline silhillvilla

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2015, 10:48:53 PM »
It's been a bit like Christmas , you've unwrapped a load of presents , now there's a load of things to assemble , some rubbish to throw out and a bird in the other room waiting to be roasted.

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2015, 10:54:06 PM »
We've made some very astute purchases, but for me, we still definitely need another goalscoring option - and preferably a good one.

I can see lots of promise in various areas of this squad, but I still can't see where the goals are going to come from, and that's a worry.

I do not think we are in a position to buy a proven goal scorer.  By that I mean both financially and where we are seen by others to be in a football level sense.  What we need is somebody that on their day is a £20m player.  I think the loan route is the only way we will get this level of player and it buys us some time to see how others develop.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2015, 11:01:32 PM »
As it's turned out, i've gone from not wanting him to thinking someone like Adebayor for a year would be good for us. A bit like Regis was useful for a year back in 91/92.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal