collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 01:16:45 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:15:51 PM]

Liverpool by johnc
[Today at 01:07:05 PM]

Champions League Contention by usav
[Today at 01:06:19 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by usav
[Today at 01:04:35 PM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by chrisw1
[Today at 12:55:25 PM]

New Shirt Sponsor by chrisw1
[Today at 12:51:41 PM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:44:47 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Transfer Window - Satisfied or Not?  (Read 23431 times)

Offline supertom

Re: Transfer Window - Satisfied or Not?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2015, 02:05:17 PM »
Forward, Right back and a center-back. One more central midfielder if we have time, as it appears GG is not fancied. An injury one of our central mids could leave us light.

But honestly, if the window ended now, I'd still be satisfied. We're possibly going to need to sign home grown if we sign anyone else. That of course limits the options available and quality, and indeed could prove pricey.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 02:24:14 PM »
I think it's time to rest on more signings and consolidate. It's inherently wrong to go on signing more players when we  don't  have a proper functioning cohesive team to judge better use of further scarce resource ...CASH!  Let's get the team working now and look forward to January.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2015, 02:36:21 PM »
One striker in and I'll be fully satisfied. As it is I don't think there's enough goals in the side.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 03:24:56 PM »
One striker in and I'll be fully satisfied. As it is I don't think there's enough goals in the side.
This.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 03:33:57 PM »
What is "a good window" ? I keep seeing this phrase but can't quite understand how a window can be described as good if the players purchsed have yet to prove whether they are any good or not.

Absolutely.

Sky get tremendous stick on here for their transfer window shenanigans but it seems to be what gets folk excited, signings and links arent exciting for me, it's how they perform on the field and two games in, we don't know enough to say if we will struggle or not.

Offline KRS

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 04:19:09 PM »
We've literally rebuilt a whole team on the back of selling our 2 best players, but even when Traore and Grealish come into the side, there is a genuine lack of goal threat up front...Gestede and Ayew are realistically our only threats going forward and they are both unproven, inexperienced and lack fitness.

My priorities would be...

1. CF (we simply don't have a proven dynamic natural goalscorer in the squad)
2. CB (we'll be right in the shit if Richards and/or Clark get injured with only Okore being decent backup)
3. RB (Bacuna, Hutton and Crespo should be enough there for now, but will need improving next summer)
4. GK (Guzan and Bunn deserve at least unil January to prove themselves)

Why should a striker be our number one priority? Its simple...if you don't score goals or look like scoring goals, then you don't win games...we simply haven't replaced the goals that Benteke would have scored and, even though its too early to judge the new midfield signings, theres no evidence to suggest that we'll improve our goalscoring contributions from midfield.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 04:31:11 PM »
Still need , RB , CB, DCM, Striker.
Net spend is still minimal so I'd like investment in the above areas.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2015, 04:49:21 PM »
I satisfied that we have spent a decent amount of money and have a few good prospects.  Whether those signings prove good enough to move us forward we will only know about half-way through the season.  I think we could do with a right back too, maybe another striker.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 05:00:56 PM »
Lescott, Afobe and Carroll in before the 2nd and I would be delighted. They would add 3 players who know English football well, 2 with really good potential to go with the others we have signed and round off the squad well. Gardner, Baker and Kozak out on loan until Christmas to build up matches and fitness, and 2-3 moved on permanently.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 05:05:21 PM »
We don't really need a CB do we
We have Richards and Clark, with Okore and Baker as back ups
That's not even counting Senderos

So why are we desperate for a CB ?

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2015, 05:09:20 PM »
I don't think we need a new RB if and only if we play in a way where the RB is not required to bomb forward and provide an attacking threat. In that case, Hutton is fine. This Traore might be good enough, assuming he plays on the right, to let the RB be more defensive.

Otherwise, good luck finding the right-footed Amavi!

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2015, 05:11:46 PM »
Is that the answer? Not enough goals is a team issue. If we were playing as a cohesive team creating loads of chances then yes I agree another striker would be ideal but at the moment we need to get this team playing properly and consistently in a manner that creates chances and rest will follow.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2015, 05:23:27 PM »
For all the clamour for more signings, and I'd generally agree with the nervousness upfront and at RB, we must be approaching the point where more signings could do more harm than good.

One the loudest, and most justified complaints under Lambert was the lack of a discernible playing style. That's never going to evolve if we keep throwing new players into the team.
We should have enough about us now to keep clear of trouble, based purely on the technical ability of most of the players he's signed.
Unless there's a right footed Amavi out there that fancies sampling life in Brum, I'd be tempted to see how things settle down and address any clear issues in January.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2015, 05:28:32 PM »
We will learn more from the next 4 games as to what we do or don't need.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2015, 05:37:59 PM »
Still need , RB , CB, DCM, Striker.
Net spend is still minimal so I'd like investment in the above areas.

The defence has hardly looked error prone in the first two games has it? Defenders can wait until January, I've been happy with how Richards and Clark have looked as a duo so far.

Midfield we have enough there.

One centre forward for me and that should be it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal