collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ollie Watkins by Mister E
[Today at 11:52:56 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 11:44:42 AM]

NSWE Investment by eamonn
[Today at 11:23:45 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:18:16 AM]

Liverpool by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:08:34 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by darren woolley
[Today at 10:50:14 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:33:06 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by JD
[Today at 09:58:11 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by Mister E
[Today at 11:52:56 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:49:49 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by AV84
[Today at 11:47:07 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 11:44:42 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 11:35:50 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 11:30:13 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Monty
[Today at 11:28:42 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by eamonn
[Today at 11:23:45 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tonights game & Travel  (Read 9178 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Tonights game & Travel
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2015, 08:39:12 PM »
Five and a half fucking hours it took me. Fuck Friday football.

From Glasgow that's not bad, if you're closer than that, not so good!

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2015, 08:43:00 PM »
The north west.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2015, 10:21:16 PM »
Traffic is very busy tonight but local knowledge is useful I only have 1/2 mile of traffic to deal with. I can see how much chaos it caused.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2015, 11:01:49 PM »
It wasn't just the roads. Got the train from New St, massively overcrowded then sat stationary for absolutely ages. Missed the first ten minutes. The amount of (Villa) fans outside the ground whilst the game was in progress was unbelievable. Fuck you Sky for not delaying KO 15 minutes.

And thank God that fixture is done for another year.

Offline BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2015, 11:05:50 PM »
I know it'll cause inconvenience for all concerned but a part of me is thinking good - now they'll see what chaos Friday night  kick-offs will cause.

They'll see what chaos it causes but will they reconsider future Friday night games?  Not a chance of that happening.

Sky could not give one monkey about what is happening on the roads.  In fact as far as they are concerned the more people who stop at home and watch it on TV the better they like it.

In fairness, I can't see any reason whatsoever why Friday games are any more likely to have traffic problems than any midweek games. They're probably less likely to be adversely affected given the fact that more people take annual leave on Fridays and lots of people leave early too.

You don't drive, do you?

Clearly not!!!

Offline wozwebs

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2015, 12:02:36 AM »
Took us 1hr 40 from Stourport on Severn, usually 50 minutes. Went up Hagley Road to Five Ways island, down towards New street station, left at island past Mailbox, right round island at end of broad St. Then towards Matalan island and over. Way back made up for it as we sailed home in 45 minutes.  Others who went past Albion ground took 2 hours from there.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2015, 12:54:35 AM »
I'm just off the Hagley Road and the best way to VP is to take a left at the Ivy Bush. However as I don't drive i'm shit at saying what roads to take etc, but it's a lot quicker than going into town from the Hagley Road. A satnav should help with the route to take that way.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2015, 08:43:37 AM »
I'm just off the Hagley Road and the best way to VP is to take a left at the Ivy Bush. However as I don't drive i'm shit at saying what roads to take etc, but it's a lot quicker than going into town from the Hagley Road. A satnav should help with the route to take that way.

my plan was to turn at the ivy bush but it was so backed up that the left hand lane was backed up to the strathallbn. turned left at five ways that was solid all the way down to ladywood. then solid to hockley flyover, lozells all solid.

i got into the ground just as united scored, first time i have missed the start of a game in 40 years

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2015, 08:55:31 AM »
I know it'll cause inconvenience for all concerned but a part of me is thinking good - now they'll see what chaos Friday night  kick-offs will cause.

They'll see what chaos it causes but will they reconsider future Friday night games?  Not a chance of that happening.

Sky could not give one monkey about what is happening on the roads.  In fact as far as they are concerned the more people who stop at home and watch it on TV the better they like it.

In fairness, I can't see any reason whatsoever why Friday games are any more likely to have traffic problems than any midweek games. They're probably less likely to be adversely affected given the fact that more people take annual leave on Fridays and lots of people leave early too.

You don't drive, do you?

Clearly not!!!

No. I take it you drive? Kindly explain why Friday games are more likely to be adversely affected by traffic chaos than any other week night match?

I can't really believe they didn't put the kick-off back. Sky would've loved it as they'd have had an audience tune in at 7.45 then been able to subject them to a couple more advert breaks.

Who makes the decision not to put kick-off back? Villa, the police, the referee?

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2015, 09:32:59 AM »
There are a few different factors why Friday rush hours are the worst of the week:

1: People wanting to get home asap
2: People that work away from home in the week going back
3: People going away for the weekend

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2015, 09:36:32 AM »
But a lot of the viewing public love friday night matches.  Can either watch it in the pub whilst they are on their friday night out or watch at home then go out as they don't have to get up the next day.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2015, 09:49:43 AM »
For the TV viewer , Friday night football is superb. That is all that matters nowadays.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2015, 09:53:24 AM »
It wasn't why yesterday's game was on a Friday though.

Blame Nazis and the police.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2015, 09:55:01 AM »
Looked like more than a few hundred people either couldn't get to the ground or decided not to.Scandalous decision by whatever authority not to delay kick-off.I think the right decision would have been a postponement in view of the motorway closures.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2015, 10:15:44 AM »
I went Hagley Road rather than M5/6 last night. Absolute nightmare. Missed first 20 minutes of the game even though I allowed extra time for the journey. Even more annoying to find that the M6 had been cleared and if I'd gone my usual route I'd have had no problems. Sailed back home though - think the Ruskin Hall car park closing eased congestion from King Edwards so got home an hour after the game finished - unheard of except on cup nights/low crowds

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal