collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Most black players?  (Read 11208 times)

Offline SirSteveUK

Re: Most black players?
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2015, 02:54:57 PM »
Outfield players is a curiosity in the OP.

I was always curious about Shaka Hislop and David James too. They weren't the first of course but in terms of the English game, previous to them I'd never really noticed any Goalies of African ancestry. There have been a few but not so many relatively speaking compared to other positions.

we're all of African ancestry :-)

I'm from Mars

Victim of a colour Bar ??

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2015, 03:18:01 PM »
Now there's an expression I haven't heard in the best part of fifty years (thankfully).  Colour Bar. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 03:30:16 PM by dave shelley »

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2015, 03:25:48 PM »
*Internal Jukebox strikes up The Way it Is, Bruce Hornsby*

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2015, 03:27:42 PM »
I'll start this off by saying that I don't care what colour a player's skin is

RACIST ^^^ - RACIST ^^^  - RACIST ^^^  - RACIST ^^^  - RACIST ^^^  - RACIST ^^^  - RACIST ^^^  - RACIST ^^^ 

Risso's like that bloke that shouts something racist and turns to his black 'friend', "No offence mate". Black friend thinks, "No off course not"

Offline peter w

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2015, 03:29:56 PM »
I know its not mean in a bad way whatsoever but this thread is now kind of out of date. From threads about having black players being relevant about 15 years ago how many are in the team is now so old hat that it is redundant. Quite simply I know longer care how many, if any, black players are in the team. Black players do not find barriers in the playing sphere of football so the number is a moot point. How many are coaches and managers is more important as there still seems to be a barrier there, so, save any pride for Villa leading from the front again when the chance comes. Also, as has been pointed out, the next playing barrier would be to get more sub-continent Asians into the game at any level.

When we've got a game tonight because a bunch of racist morons are marching tomorrow, I like the message it sends out that we have a team that is dominated by black players.    There might not be barriers to playing for black players, but there are still plenty of racist incidents, so whether I'm wrong or right I think it's something for the club and the city to be proud of. 

Oh I fully get your point and you're right. i'm just saying that nowadays we should be past being proud of allowing black people to have the same rights and employment opportunities as white people. I think we should celebrate being multi cultural but only if black people, and others, feel they can and should join in too. Are black people proud of Villa and the amount of black people in the team/squad nowadays? I just think that we are so successful at it in this city that we barely notice it. My mates are largely black and I doubt they care that much either. Its something that we don't celebrate enough as a city though.

As an aside one of the most amazing things for football firms in the 70s and 80s and what set the Zulus apart was that they were completely multi racial. The only firm of the time that was. Even then we were first as a city.

Will be interesting if the press pick up on how many black players start tonight or are in the match day squad. I hope not, though, as it has a slightly anachronistic feel to it.

Offline peter w

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2015, 03:33:27 PM »

RACIST ^^^ - RACIST ^^^  - RACIST ^^^  - RACIST ^^^  - RACIST ^^^  - RACIST ^^^  - RACIST ^^^  - RACIST ^^^ 

Risso's like that bloke that shouts something racist and turns to his black 'friend', "No offence mate". Black friend thinks, "No off course not"

Playing darts last season against a team and there was this huge hulking black bloke in the away team. Or 'silverback' as he was wonderfully called. Good player and some slightly pissed bloke comes in who vaguely uses the pub and stood and watched for a bit. As said bloke hit another ton, pissed bloke say, "Well its not fair is it? You lot are used to throwing spears". I was marking an my mate was calling and threw this bloke a look. "Oh its okay. I've known him for years". 'Silverback' didn't have a look on his face that suggested it was all right, though.

Offline peter w

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2015, 03:34:56 PM »
Can someone do that father Ted ' I hear you're a racist now Father' to Risso's first post?

I think Risso is just trying to smoke some of us out to see if he can meet up with someone before he marches tomorrow through Birmingham...

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2015, 03:48:15 PM »
Risso enjoying the country air

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2015, 03:55:38 PM »

I am?

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2015, 03:56:36 PM »

I am?

No, off course you're not you big dope. But we are going to have some fun with you nonetheless

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2015, 03:59:10 PM »

I am?
I think you set yourself up by your poor choice of  words. It does have the ring of the old chestnut "I'm not racist some of my best friends are black but............"

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2015, 04:08:25 PM »
I could see somebody finding this thread offensive.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2015, 04:14:36 PM »
Outfield players is a curiosity in the OP.

I was always curious about Shaka Hislop and David James too. They weren't the first of course but in terms of the English game, previous to them I'd never really noticed any Goalies of African ancestry. There have been a few but not so many relatively speaking compared to other positions.

Alex Williams at Man City in the seventies. Kevin Keelan who was born in India played for us in 1961 and forever for Norwich.

Way before then, there was Arthur Wharton:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29532529

According to legend, to avoid being shoulder charged by opposition players, he used to swing on the crossbar and catch the ball between his legs!!
Really good poem about him - and racism in football generally - that I used to use with my classes...
Here's My Pitch by Jackie Kay.

Arthur was a Blade.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2015, 04:18:28 PM »

I am?
I think you set yourself up by your poor choice of  words. It does have the ring of the old chestnut "I'm not racist some of my best friends are black but............"

Could you explain why it was a poor choice of words? In fact, don't bother, I thought it would be something worthy of mention, but obviously not.

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2015, 04:22:35 PM »
Here's the poem and article about it in the Gaurdian also with a photo of Arthur Wharton. Poem

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal