collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Most black players?  (Read 11143 times)

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
Re: Most black players?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 01:15:58 PM »
Outfield players is a curiosity in the OP.

I was always curious about Shaka Hislop and David James too. They weren't the first of course but in terms of the English game, previous to them I'd never really noticed any Goalies of African ancestry. There have been a few but not so many relatively speaking compared to other positions.

we're all of African ancestry :-)

I'm from Mars

Online Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 01:21:20 PM »
One thing that puzzles me is the severe lack of British born Asians playing at a professional level. Surely there must be some out there that could make the step up from amateur/semi pro to full time professional football.

Easah Suliman in our academy is one. There have been a few like Michael Chopra, Harpal Singh etc but no real big stars. There was one at Fulham too with a Z in his name but I've forgot him.

It is odd as there are plenty of British Asian cricketers so it can't be because of cultural issues/family pressure, which is what I often hear people say.

I think there might have been two at Fulham, one a Villa fan. Zac Rehman or summat.

That's the one. Zesh Rehman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zesh_Rehman

Had no idea he was from Birmingham.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 01:40:34 PM »

I was always curious about Shaka Hislop and David James too. They weren't the first of course but in terms of the English game, previous to them I'd never really noticed any Goalies of African ancestry. There have been a few but not so many relatively speaking compared to other positions.

Alex Williams at Man City in the seventies. Kevin Keelan who was born in India played for us in 1961 and forever for Norwich.

Way before then, there was Arthur Wharton:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29532529

According to legend, to avoid being shoulder charged by opposition players, he used to swing on the crossbar and catch the ball between his legs!!

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 01:46:53 PM »

we're all of African ancestry :-)
Fuckin' hell.
Dont tell that lot who are marching tomorrow...................................................then again !

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 02:06:50 PM »
We did set the record for playing the most black players in a game 20 years ago or so. It was at Everton, of all places. How many did we play? 7?
8 at a time when Everton had still never had a black player

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 02:09:32 PM »
We did set the record for playing the most black players in a game 20 years ago or so. It was at Everton, of all places. How many did we play? 7?

They did I think....Cliff Marshall

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2015, 02:12:38 PM »

Who ?

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2015, 02:18:42 PM »

Who ?

Cliff Marshall!

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2015, 02:20:07 PM »
I'll start this off by saying that I don't care what colour a player's skin is

RACIST ^^^ - RACIST ^^^  - RACIST ^^^  - RACIST ^^^  - RACIST ^^^  - RACIST ^^^  - RACIST ^^^  - RACIST ^^^ 

Offline peter w

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2015, 02:25:44 PM »
I know its not mean in a bad way whatsoever but this thread is now kind of out of date. From threads about having black players being relevant about 15 years ago how many are in the team is now so old hat that it is redundant. Quite simply I know longer care how many, if any, black players are in the team. Black players do not find barriers in the playing sphere of football so the number is a moot point. How many are coaches and managers is more important as there still seems to be a barrier there, so, save any pride for Villa leading from the front again when the chance comes. Also, as has been pointed out, the next playing barrier would be to get more sub-continent Asians into the game at any level.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2015, 02:32:01 PM »

Yorke, Atkinson, Regis, McGrath, Daley, Small and possibly Paul Mortimer...?

Earl Barrett?

Mark Blake

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2015, 02:35:10 PM »
Ehiogu maybe? he actually played a few games before that "debut" vs Norwich. don't think Atkinson played.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 02:36:57 PM »
Starting lineup:

Goalkeeper Les Sealey

Defender Dariusz Kubicki

Defender/Centre back Shaun Teale

Defender/Midfielder Paul McGrath

Defender/Left back Bryan Small

Midfielder Mark Blake

Midfielder Kevin Richardson

Forward Dwight Yorke

Forward Dalian Atkinson

Forward Cyrille Regis

Forward Tony Daley

Blake it was

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 02:37:48 PM »
I know its not mean in a bad way whatsoever but this thread is now kind of out of date. From threads about having black players being relevant about 15 years ago how many are in the team is now so old hat that it is redundant. Quite simply I know longer care how many, if any, black players are in the team. Black players do not find barriers in the playing sphere of football so the number is a moot point. How many are coaches and managers is more important as there still seems to be a barrier there, so, save any pride for Villa leading from the front again when the chance comes. Also, as has been pointed out, the next playing barrier would be to get more sub-continent Asians into the game at any level.

When we've got a game tonight because a bunch of racist morons are marching tomorrow, I like the message it sends out that we have a team that is dominated by black players.    There might not be barriers to playing for black players, but there are still plenty of racist incidents, so whether I'm wrong or right I think it's something for the club and the city to be proud of. 

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2015, 02:47:32 PM »

When we've got a game tonight because a bunch of racist morons are marching tomorrow, I like the message it sends out that we have a team that is dominated by black players.    There might not be barriers to playing for black players, but there are still plenty of racist incidents, so whether I'm wrong or right I think it's something for the club and the city to be proud of. 

The morons marching tomorrow probably don't care about black players as they probably consider them "one of us". I get the impression it's Asians they're more focussed on.

Either way they're fucking bellends!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal