collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by chrisw1
[Today at 01:47:33 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Olneythelonely
[Today at 01:47:05 PM]

The Running thread by Richard E
[Today at 01:42:41 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Olneythelonely
[Today at 01:40:20 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by dalians umbrella
[Today at 01:37:23 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Mister E
[Today at 01:29:15 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by rob_bridge
[Today at 01:28:47 PM]

New Shirt Sponsor by Risso
[Today at 01:25:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Living Wage campaign update  (Read 8208 times)

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
Re: Living Wage campaign update
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2015, 11:23:10 AM »
We should pay the living wage but I think trying to get anything other than a zero hours contract might be a tad ambitious.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2015, 11:29:26 AM »
No excuse for any premiership club to not pay all their staff the living wage really, given first team match days (when the bulk of them are needed) they're only open 25-30 days a year max.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2015, 01:07:12 PM »
Some are paid directly by AVFC but most are agency staff so not really villa's call.

Agencies only pay a percentage of what they've been paid. If the Villa want to be part of a system that is destructive to job security and workplace rights, they should at least pay the agencies enough that, when their usual percentage is deducted, the workers have enough to live on. Either that or have the balls to actually employ these people.

With staff numbers (agency) directly linked to attendances it is very difficult to employee staff on a regular full time basis - hence the use of agency workers. The vast majority of them are students local to the area so not sure what a living wage would be for them as I do not know what tax issues there are for students, part time workers etc

All I do know is if businesses are forced to pay out on one hand they will recoup it somewhere else. I am not aware of any of the staff there for match day that it is their only source of income but could be wrong as I don't know everyone but I also do know that if the already high prices at concession stands increased to cover labour costs you would see a big fall in sales and that would result in less people being employed. Its a tough call

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2015, 01:10:35 PM »
if luton town can pay their staff the living wage, so can villa.

there is a petition here, show your support: http://speakout.38degrees.org.uk/campaigns/24?decision_id=21207

cheers.

Signed.

It's poor that we're having to shame Villa into doing this, but still.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2015, 04:52:41 PM »

there is a petition here, show your support: http://speakout.38degrees.org.uk/campaigns/24?decision_id=21207

cheers.
Done

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2015, 05:03:46 PM »

cheers.

Signed.

It's poor that we're having to shame Villa into doing this, but still.

Signed.

It would be nice to put this as a sticky post so we can get as many signatures as possible from H & V members.

Offline Leicester_Villian

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2015, 05:03:54 PM »
At the end of the day its everybody's choice if the wish to work at VP ....these are casual appointments so upto the person.
I would guess most do it because they love the Club
In addition to the pay many (not all) are able to watch the game ...for example a steward in middle Trinity never does anything doing the game other than watch it ....... so he is getting free viewing
Sorry but I don't see this as a topic to discuss on a football forum

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2015, 05:20:56 PM »
At the end of the day its everybody's choice if the wish to work at VP ....these are casual appointments so upto the person.
In addition to the pay many (not all) are able to watch the game ...for example a steward in middle Trinity never does anything doing the game other than watch it ....... so he is getting free viewing

First of all it's about a football club, its staff and its standing in the community so it is very much a topic to discuss on a football forum.

The "it's their choice to work there" argument is ill-conceived in the extreme. For many of the matchday staff it's the only work available to them. The choice isn't work there or somewhere elsewhere, it's work there or go hungry. Very few do it because they love the club; most have no interest in football and do it because they need the money. Equally, most don't get the chance to see any of the match - for every steward who might be able to watch there are many more catering and corporate staff who may as well be working at the NEC for all they see of the pitch. The very least they deserve is a decent wage.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2015, 05:52:23 PM »

And what about the times they have to get into the middle of a ruck? Even those in the UT. I'm often up there and over the years have seen a few tasty fights kick off, never mind arguments and ejections they have to deal with as you often get a fair few away fans up there.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2015, 06:03:02 PM »
Not only at VP.   I was ashamed to see Villa fans fighting among themselves at Forest with Forest stewards making an excellent job of restoring order.  That there should be a second's doubt about paying Villa Park workers the minimum wage I find incredible.

Offline Doorbell

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2015, 07:18:13 PM »
If AVFC are using agencies to find their temporary/casual staff, wouldn't the club be better off having their own spin-off agency that makes less of a mark up on the hourly rate and in turn pays the staff a living wage? Recruitment agents could still earn their commission, the agency would be a safe bet due to having a single big client (the club) and could even compete with other agencies on a "we provide labour at x amount per hr" but also pay those workers a living wage too, that could be a huge benefit to the wider community.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2015, 08:41:34 AM »

And what about the times they have to get into the middle of a ruck? Even those in the UT. I'm often up there and over the years have seen a few tasty fights kick off, never mind arguments and ejections they have to deal with as you often get a fair few away fans up there.

Each stand has a team of trained stewards that are from either Security, Police or Prison service backgrounds and are the ones called upon any serious disorder in the stadium. This is a condition of keeping the Police levels to a minimum. Obviously there are games where a high Police presence is inevitable but in the main we have one of the lowest Policing presences in the league. Each year there are a number of new stewards and they obviously take time to get up to speed on match day, the same with concession staff.

Another thing that would help is the treatment of match day staff whether paid or volunteers by the fans. It ok to claim the club should pay a 17 year old kid a decent wage (and I agree with this by the way) but also the same kids on poor money do not need morons giving them a hard time because they cannot get a pie or a pint. The largest turnover of staff is due to behaviour towards them not the wage packet I assure you.

And as for stewards never do anything- there are some that are lazy buggers like in any profession but in the main its a tough job being on the other side. It is however a tough job with benefits and in the main I have done it for so many years as I love the club, certainly not for the money as I am sure that is the case for all us old timers who work there as certainly the former years we got only a cup of tea and a pie as reward.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 08:43:58 AM by Hookeysmith »

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2015, 01:17:00 PM »

I take it you have applied for a postion then? Surely you don't pay to get in when you can be a steward and do next to nothing?

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2015, 11:00:41 AM »
My daughter's little company pays the living wage in addition to which we have given season tickets to two new recruits who have joined under my regime of a two questions only application for employment form.   The questions are 1.  Are you a Villa fan? 2. Are you prepared to become a Villa fan? The Man U game was the first company outing under this system and the two recruits both enjoyed the night out immensely.  Okay they both answered "yes" to question 1 and the Question 2 "yes" responders may be a bit trickier.   We have the son of a regular poster in these pages in the pipeline.   Quite enjoying the power trip actually.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2015, 11:01:49 AM »
Whenever I'm in the queue to get something to eat or drink at half time, the kids serving behind the counter never look to me like they're doing it because they love the club.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal