collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:46:19 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Team of many nations  (Read 4323 times)

Offline The Villa Werewolf

• GM : 13.07.2015
Re: Team of many nations
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 09:20:21 AM »
and we still can pick English XI

Bunn,
Richards, Baker, Kinsella, Richardson
Sinclair, Westwood, Cole, Grealish
Agbonlahor, Robinson.

Hmmmmm...

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 09:47:46 AM »
Clark's English as well

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 11:16:12 AM »
Clark's English as well

Well, only if you're also going to insist that Gestede is French and that Okore is Ivorian.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 11:23:42 AM by Dave »

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 11:41:18 AM »
Clark's English as well

Well, only if you're also going to insist that Gestede is French and that Okore is Ivorian.

Clark - born here, raised here, lived here all his life and represented our youth teams
Gestede - born in France, raised there, lived there all his life, has a French parent and represented the French youth teams
Okore - born in Ivory Coast, moved to Denmark aged 3 and was raised there, played for their youth team

Jores grew up in and lived most of his life in Denmark, product of Danish football academies and Danish schools. He is Danish.

Clark is English, Gestede is French and Okore is Danish. Can say they are English of Irish descent, French of Beninois descent or Dansh of Ivorian descent but that's what they are.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 11:48:45 AM »
Clark is English, Gestede is French and Okore is Danish. Can say they are English of Irish descent, French of Beninois descent or Dansh of Ivorian descent but that's what they are.
In football terms, Clark is Irish, Gestede is Beninois and Okore is Danish. As those are the countries that they have chosen to represent, and what this thread is about.

Offline Smirker

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 12:58:02 PM »
In football terms, Clark is Irish, Gestede is Beninois and Okore is Danish. As those are the countries that they have chosen to represent, and what this thread is about.

In football terms yes but I am agreeing with Redsox.

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 01:00:12 PM »
and we still can pick English XI

Bunn,
Richards, Baker, Kinsella, Richardson
Sinclair, Westwood, Cole, Grealish
Agbonlahor, Robinson.

H&V set the days training program at Bodymoor Heath... 'England vs the Rest of the World'

better than running around a few cones I suppose!

Sounds like a return to the days of Big Ron.

Offline The Villa Werewolf

• GM : 13.07.2015
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 04:27:08 PM »
Clark's English as well

Clark - born here, raised here, lived here all his life and represented our youth teams
Gestede - born in France, raised there, lived there all his life, has a French parent and represented the French youth teams
Okore - born in Ivory Coast, moved to Denmark aged 3 and was raised there, played for their youth team

Jores grew up in and lived most of his life in Denmark, product of Danish football academies and Danish schools. He is Danish.

Speaking as a proud Irishman, albeit one born and bred in Birmingham, there are few things that irk me more than some arrogant so and so setting out his own ill-informed opinions on nationality as indisputable fact.

Who on earth are you to tell somebody what they are and what they are not? Clark CHOSE to play for Ireland at a time when he was very highly rated indeed by those within the England set-up, which says everything about how he sees himself.

Offline junxs

• http://www.avfc.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 04:36:43 PM »
I think eventually players will be free to represent more than one country, I think its unfair to make someone play for just one country when they have dual nationalities. Especially in scenarios where they will never play again for the country they once chose to represent.
Eg Gabby will never get another England cap but is possibly good enough to play for Nigeria, so it's unfair on players.

Offline Slaphead

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 06:04:25 PM »
Clark's English as well

Speaking as a proud Irishman, albeit one born and bred in Birmingham, there are few things that irk me more than some arrogant so and so setting out his own ill-informed opinions on nationality as indisputable fact.

Who on earth are you to tell somebody what they are and what they are not? Clark CHOSE to play for Ireland at a time when he was very highly rated indeed by those within the England set-up, which says everything about how he sees himself.

To be fair who are you to say what Clarkes motives were for when he chose to play for Ireland? I can't comprehend that he could have ever possibly thought he could be an England regular and can only assume he chose Ireland because it was his best bet at International football.

I also find it very difficult to imagine someone being born and raised in one country but still see themselves as a different nationality although this is common place these days in England and I am saying that as someone who was not born in the UK and has duel nationality. If you go to America you will find that everyone is half Irish but couldn't point Ireland out on the map.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 06:56:48 PM »
Ciaran Clark was twenty-one when he made his international debut. At the same age Gary Cahill was trying and failing to even get in the Villa team while Phil Jagielka was at Sheffield United.

I think it's unlikely that he'd already, as you suggest, decided that he'd never be good enough for England, as you suggest.

Maybe he just played for Ireland... because they asked him to?

And I don't really see anything wrong with a son of two Irish parents considering himself to be Irish.

Offline Smirker

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2015, 08:16:39 PM »

Schooled here, born here and grew up here. He's English of Irish descent.

I have very little English blood myself, mom's side is Caribbean dad is Northern Irish, I'm English as that's where I was born and grew up.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal