collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Palace Game pre match pub  (Read 3362 times)

Offline Martyn Smith

• Golden Muppet
  • GM : PCM
Palace Game pre match pub
« on: August 10, 2015, 02:43:37 PM »
Hi all,

Who's going to this and where do Villa fans meet up before the game, please?

Actually managed to get tickets for this one; nice as I live less than a mile from Selhurst Park these days.

Offline peter w

Re: Palace Game pre match pub
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 03:21:53 PM »
Where do you live? I'm in Addiscombe and tend to use the Builders Arms on Leslie Park Rd. Surprisingly quite a few Villa around the area. I know 1 or 2 Villa that use the Glamorgan on Cherry Orchard Rd but I much prefer the Builders. Unfortunately due top other sodding commitments I'll be in sodding bloody Bolton that day. Will be there (most probably) on Friday night for the Man U game if you're around.

Offline Martyn Smith

• Golden Muppet
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 03:33:27 PM »
Oh wow I live in Addiscombe too and am a regular at The Builders for games. Yes there are usually a few Villa in there as you say. We've probably unwittingly met...

I'm going to be in Belmont Friday night as I'm driving my Bluenose missus (she'll be at Selhurst Park with me as part of my education programme for her) to a work's night out there and back that night so I'll decamp to the nearest Sky Spurts pub that I can find. Otherwise I would have been in the Builders more than likely. I used to go to the Spreadagle in town but they don't usually have the sound on...

Offline Martyn Smith

• Golden Muppet
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 03:35:48 PM »
Lot of people not going to this one. I can't imagine why because SP is such an accessible ground for people who don't live in the area and it's not like it's the holiday season or anything ad sarcasticum...

Offline peter w

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 03:38:44 PM »
Blimey. We will undoubtedly have met then. I tend to watch by the dart board in the bar. I actually play for the builder's darts team and I'm shite.

Offline Martyn Smith

• Golden Muppet
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 03:43:12 PM »
Sir, I shall look out for you when I'm next in there for a game. I'll be the tall beardy fat twat with a coke, accompanied by a red-headed lady in all possibility (my Bluenose missus. She's from Hall Green. It's not her fault...)

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 03:56:59 PM »
I usually drink at London Bridge when going to Selhurst. Never managed to find a decent pub near the ground.  I'll be going.

Offline greenwichvilla

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 07:56:05 AM »
There's a good one on the roundabout that takes away fans. I can't for the life of me remember what it's called. But if you walk past that car park that the Sainsbury's is in away from the ground (keep the car park on your left) you get to it at that main road*

*i accept no responsibility for this information being possibly wrong. This is my disclaimer.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 08:23:08 AM »
Lot of people not going to this one. I can't imagine why because SP is such an accessible ground for people who don't live in the area and it's not like it's the holiday season or anything ad sarcasticum...
Damo will be there...
Damo, just explain how much you relish trips to SP again mate 😄

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 08:23:51 AM »
4 cans of Stella on the sainsburys car park.
You know it makes sense .

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 08:59:34 AM »
I usually drink at London Bridge when going to Selhurst. Never managed to find a decent pub near the ground.  I'll be going.

Yeah, I went to a good pub at London Bridge and then got the tube to Selhurst Park afterwards. With the added bonus that you get to go past lovely Millwall's ground.

Didn't actually see any Palace fans in the pub and only a few Millwall, which was odd as they were both at home.

Offline peter w

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 06:27:33 PM »
Sir, I shall look out for you when I'm next in there for a game. I'll be the tall beardy fat twat with a coke, accompanied by a red-headed lady in all possibility (my Bluenose missus. She's from Hall Green. It's not her fault...)

I may have a vague recollection of meeting you then - it was the Nose that gave it away. Home v Tottenham maybe? In the bar other end of the dart board? Some old timer decided to chat to me through the whole of the bloody second half. Villa fan though but rabbited on about his daughter and leaving Kings Norton about 45 bloody years ago.

Anyway, Fullers pubs have pulled out of receiving Sky because of prices so builders only having sky until about the 25th and then its BT sports.

Offline Caribbeanvillan

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 06:51:17 PM »
Opposite Thornton Heath Railway Station there is a Wetherspoon pub, called the 'The Flora Sandes' which is popular with both home and away supporters. Also close by is 'The Railway Telegraph' on Brigstock (as you come out of Thornton Heath station turn right and the pub is further down on the left). This pub serves Youngs beers and is quite spacious. It is then about a 15 minute walk from here to the ground (as you  come out of the pubs turn right and follow the other fans). Also further along the High Street going towards Selhurst Park (just past Croydon Leisure Centre, on the right), is the 'Thomas Farley' which is also popular with away fans. There are also plenty of Kebab and Chip shops available on the route to the ground.

Offline Martyn Smith

• Golden Muppet
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 12:58:07 AM »

I may have a vague recollection of meeting you then - it was the Nose that gave it away. Home v Tottenham maybe? In the bar other end of the dart board? Some old timer decided to chat to me through the whole of the bloody second half. Villa fan though but rabbited on about his daughter and leaving Kings Norton about 45 bloody years ago.

Anyway, Fullers pubs have pulled out of receiving Sky because of prices so builders only having sky until about the 25th and then its BT sports.

I know exactly who you mean by the old timer. He has bent my ear on more than one occasion too.

Last time I was in the Builders for a game I got chatting to a Villa couple, the lady more than the guy. We had a lot in common. She lived in S Wales for a while and hated David Cameron too...

Shame about the Builders no longer having sky. Villa next on TV Sep 13 A Leicester I think. Don't know if that's a BTSports or Sky game. Where will you be if it's on Sky. Never been in the Glamorgan myself.

Offline Martyn Smith

• Golden Muppet
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 01:00:09 AM »
Opposite Thornton Heath Railway Station there is a Wetherspoon pub, called the 'The Flora Sandes' which is popular with both home and away supporters. Also close by is 'The Railway Telegraph' on Brigstock (as you come out of Thornton Heath station turn right and the pub is further down on the left). This pub serves Youngs beers and is quite spacious. It is then about a 15 minute walk from here to the ground (as you  come out of the pubs turn right and follow the other fans). Also further along the High Street going towards Selhurst Park (just past Croydon Leisure Centre, on the right), is the 'Thomas Farley' which is also popular with away fans. There are also plenty of Kebab and Chip shops available on the route to the ground.

I know the Flora well, often take a client there. Nice place. Never been in the other two.

In my usual gormlessness I've only just noticed the away guides section...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal