collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: My Premier League Life (BBC link)  (Read 4882 times)

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
Re: My Premier League Life (BBC link)
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2015, 05:48:07 PM »
I share a birthday with Titi Camara !!

That's my favourite website!

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2015, 05:57:55 PM »
Ironically, 85/86 is the season when I went to more home games than any other, mainly because it was one of the few occasions since I left Brum aged 13 when I was back working and living in the area - Droitwich to be precise. You could wander around the Holte most games, there were so many empty spaces. I also remember walking out of the Man City home match at half time when we were, I think, 3-0 down (or was it Brighton?), something I do regularly of course having done it again (for the first time since, so 30 years) at Southampton last season. Was it that year we played Exeter in the Milk Cup in a very early round in the fog and there was about 8,000 in the ground? The Holte was almost empty. We beat them something like 11-1 on aggregate, Stainrod scoring quite a lot of the goals.

Ha ha. I did my share of wandering around The Holte in the '60's. It was nice to have a selection of crush barriers to lean on as well in those days.

My memory of the 85/86 season has largely been expunged. Not just because of the dire football, but my long term Villa supporting mate couldn't take any more and had given up the previous season. That, along with the perpetual problem of the five fat, sheepskin clad, sovereign ringed, arsehole gangsters that sat next to me and who occupied only four seats expecting me to sit on half a seat at best for the entire season. I plucked up the courage one day to ask the troglodyte sitting next to me if he wouldn't mind moving up a little so that I could actually take my seat. I can still remember his actual words: "You must be fucking joking." Not difficult to remember since they were thankfully the only words he ever spoke to me.

Stewarding was in it's infancy in those days.

Is that what brought you to your current ''location'', still leaning on the bent crush barrier ?

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2015, 06:08:31 PM »
Ironically, 85/86 is the season when I went to more home games than any other, mainly because it was one of the few occasions since I left Brum aged 13 when I was back working and living in the area - Droitwich to be precise. You could wander around the Holte most games, there were so many empty spaces. I also remember walking out of the Man City home match at half time when we were, I think, 3-0 down (or was it Brighton?), something I do regularly of course having done it again (for the first time since, so 30 years) at Southampton last season. Was it that year we played Exeter in the Milk Cup in a very early round in the fog and there was about 8,000 in the ground? The Holte was almost empty. We beat them something like 11-1 on aggregate, Stainrod scoring quite a lot of the goals.

Ha ha. I did my share of wandering around The Holte in the '60's. It was nice to have a selection of crush barriers to lean on as well in those days.

My memory of the 85/86 season has largely been expunged. Not just because of the dire football, but my long term Villa supporting mate couldn't take any more and had given up the previous season. That, along with the perpetual problem of the five fat, sheepskin clad, sovereign ringed, arsehole gangsters that sat next to me and who occupied only four seats expecting me to sit on half a seat at best for the entire season. I plucked up the courage one day to ask the troglodyte sitting next to me if he wouldn't mind moving up a little so that I could actually take my seat. I can still remember his actual words: "You must be fucking joking." Not difficult to remember since they were thankfully the only words he ever spoke to me.

Stewarding was in it's infancy in those days.

Is that what brought you to your current ''location'', still leaning on the bent crush barrier ?

Only in my nightmares.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2015, 06:37:05 PM »
Spurs the side Villa have beaten most in my lifetime - I know we used to finish above them regularly in the 90's, but this still surprised me. I always saw them, Everton and us in similar standing really.

The club we've beaten most historically is Sunderland, another surprise for me. To my shame before they made a big noise with Peter Reid I didn't know much about them.

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2015, 06:44:03 PM »
Another 1-1 average score. 53% lifetime rating. Spurs our most beaten side which is nice.

Born in 1977. (My dad has a proud record of Villa winning a trophy each year one oh his kids were born, 1975,1977, 1981)

Unfortunately my lifetimes golden era was before I was old enough to be aware of it. Although I do remember Dad going mental when we won the European cup.

Lovely stat that.  I like to think that I was conceived on the day we last won the FA Cup, but the fact I was premature puts the maths a few weeks out.

Offline thick_mike

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2015, 07:35:18 PM »
I like to think I was a World Cup baby being born on 13/3/67, but that puts conception date a month before the World Cup final on 30/7/66...in fact right around my Mom's birthday...So I was a birthday treat instead!

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2015, 07:39:45 PM »
I share a birthday with Premier League legends Michael Bridges, Nicos Dabizas and Luis Boa Morte.

Everton are the team we've beaten the most, and unsurprisingly Man U have beaten us the most.

Average result: 1-1.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2015, 09:19:24 PM »
Wish I hadn't have done it...I share a birthday with that fuckin lying snake.

Offline MorrisNielson

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2015, 09:48:53 PM »
Very good and very nerdy. Right up my alley.

There seems to be an increasing tread nowadays to describe Ramsay & Smith as managers. In a way its difficult enough to compare the management of McMullan up to Eric Houghton and Mercer onwards (in terms of Board/Committee influence).
Plus, why no Jim Barron? 100% win as caretaker (1994 away at Spurs 4-3!).

So then, since I was born, Villa win only 39% of all matches. Very depressing. Thanks mostly the Spurs. Not so depressing.
 I shouldn’t probably admit to this but I know how many games I’ve been to and how much I’ve spent on tickets. That’s 45% win ratio. Villa score a goal every 13 pound odd I spend to go to Villa Park. It works out to 41 and a half pounds for every win. Very poor value for money in my eyes.

Interestingly (and I use that term very loosely), Sunderland being the team that we’ve beaten the most. That’s 70 league, 7 FA Cup & 3 League Cup + (presumably) 1 League Cup shoot-out = 81
Games against Everton is 73 league, 4 FAC & 3 LC = 80. So its just the shoot-out that’s the difference!

Offline bugdozer

• I was a teenage armchair (̶H̶o̶n̶v̶e̶d̶) Villa fan
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2015, 09:49:46 PM »
Superb.

I was flabbergasted to discover that Manchester United are the club most lost to, though. Flabbergasted.

For some reason, I decided to go off and look up anagrams for "Manchester United" and "Urine Detachments" was the clear winner.

Also, I was amazed to discover that Gerard Houllier is actually French. Who knew?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2015, 10:01:46 PM »

There seems to be an increasing tread nowadays to describe Ramsay & Smith as managers.

That's the power of wikipedia. You start a myth on there and it becomes accepted fact. See also 'Why Villa play in claret and blue'. There's even a Villa Park tour guide who reels off a list of inaccuracies.

Offline thick_mike

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2015, 11:32:30 PM »

There seems to be an increasing tread nowadays to describe Ramsay & Smith as managers. In a way its difficult enough to compare the management of McMullan up to Eric Houghton and Mercer onwards (in terms of Board/Committee influence).
Plus, why no Jim Barron? 100% win as caretaker (1994 away at Spurs 4-3!).

So then, since I was born, Villa win only 39% of all matches. Very depressing. Thanks mostly the Spurs. Not so depressing.
 I shouldn’t probably admit to this but I know how many games I’ve been to and how much I’ve spent on tickets. That’s 45% win ratio. Villa score a goal every 13 pound odd I spend to go to Villa Park. It works out to 41 and a half pounds for every win. Very poor value for money in my eyes.

Interestingly (and I use that term very loosely), Sunderland being the team that we’ve beaten the most. That’s 70 league, 7 FA Cup & 3 League Cup + (presumably) 1 League Cup shoot-out = 81
Games against Everton is 73 league, 4 FAC & 3 LC = 80. So its just the shoot-out that’s the difference!

So if you were to watch us from the posh seats in the Trinity Road Stand, we'd win every game?

Let's have a whip round!

Offline Rich6by7

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2015, 11:39:17 PM »
First Villa result after I was born... a 1-0 defeat to Blues :(

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2015, 01:02:25 AM »
Whether you was born in the early 30s like my dad, late 50s like me or 16 months ago like my friend's daughter, our average score comes up as 1-1.
Which proves we won't miss Benteke I suppose.

Offline Chap

• http://www.chap23.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2015, 10:44:50 AM »
Excellent.
Won 7 - 1 on my birthday against Bradford. I would have taken 156 days to watch all games since I was born!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal