collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: My Premier League Life (BBC link)  (Read 4889 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: My Premier League Life (BBC link)
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 11:38:37 AM »

Lowest average attendance in my lifetime
1985-86 season 15,237

And probably all of us will say the same given that it was the lowest since 1914-15 (when our forefathers had a bit of an excuse for not turning up) which was the only lower one since Villa Park opened*.

* I've just found that out, hence the brief outburst of anorakism.

Online Duncan Shaw

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 11:47:46 AM »
Suprised that Everton are the most beaten team in my lifetime (dec 1967)
85-86 had a Holte end ST and can remember the swathes of empty spaces in the ground.
McLeish our worst manager for wins.....
What a great site that is.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 11:52:25 AM »
Brilliant.

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2015, 12:17:01 PM »
Lowest average attendance in my lifetime
1985-86 season 15,237

Other factors were involved in my life then, not just the shockingly poor standard of football on display that season, but that was the year I gave up my season ticket in the front upper middle Trinity that I'd held since the season we dropped into the Third Div. The writing was clearly on the wall.

I have actually regretted that decision on occasion.

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2015, 12:19:48 PM »
My only criticism is that it is has to pretend the Premier League has existed forever.

Offline django

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2015, 01:40:00 PM »
Another 1-1 average score. 53% lifetime rating. Spurs our most beaten side which is nice.

Born in 1977. (My dad has a proud record of Villa winning a trophy each year one oh his kids were born, 1975,1977, 1981)

Unfortunately my lifetimes golden era was before I was old enough to be aware of it. Although I do remember Dad going mental when we won the European cup.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2015, 01:49:33 PM »
Ironically, 85/86 is the season when I went to more home games than any other, mainly because it was one of the few occasions since I left Brum aged 13 when I was back working and living in the area - Droitwich to be precise. You could wander around the Holte most games, there were so many empty spaces. I also remember walking out of the Man City home match at half time when we were, I think, 3-0 down (or was it Brighton?), something I do regularly of course having done it again (for the first time since, so 30 years) at Southampton last season. Was it that year we played Exeter in the Milk Cup in a very early round in the fog and there was about 8,000 in the ground? The Holte was almost empty. We beat them something like 11-1 on aggregate, Stainrod scoring quite a lot of the goals.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2015, 01:55:36 PM »
I share a birthday with Titi Camara !!

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2015, 02:10:47 PM »
Ironically, 85/86 is the season when I went to more home games than any other, mainly because it was one of the few occasions since I left Brum aged 13 when I was back working and living in the area - Droitwich to be precise. You could wander around the Holte most games, there were so many empty spaces. I also remember walking out of the Man City home match at half time when we were, I think, 3-0 down (or was it Brighton?), something I do regularly of course having done it again (for the first time since, so 30 years) at Southampton last season. Was it that year we played Exeter in the Milk Cup in a very early round in the fog and there was about 8,000 in the ground? The Holte was almost empty. We beat them something like 11-1 on aggregate, Stainrod scoring quite a lot of the goals.

Ha ha. I did my share of wandering around The Holte in the '60's. It was nice to have a selection of crush barriers to lean on as well in those days.

My memory of the 85/86 season has largely been expunged. Not just because of the dire football, but my long term Villa supporting mate couldn't take any more and had given up the previous season. That, along with the perpetual problem of the five fat, sheepskin clad, sovereign ringed, arsehole gangsters that sat next to me and who occupied only four seats expecting me to sit on half a seat at best for the entire season. I plucked up the courage one day to ask the troglodyte sitting next to me if he wouldn't mind moving up a little so that I could actually take my seat. I can still remember his actual words: "You must be fucking joking." Not difficult to remember since they were thankfully the only words he ever spoke to me.

Stewarding was in it's infancy in those days.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2015, 02:49:56 PM »
Spuds are the most beaten team in my lifetime.  And long may that continue.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2015, 03:05:09 PM »
I was welcomed into the world by a 1-0 defeat by the Bordesley Barcelona. My 18th coincided with the LC semi win over Arsenal, but I knew that.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2015, 03:19:53 PM »

We must all be of a similar age! We did used to do them quite regularly home and away, and they were always something of a soft touch away from the Lane, a bit in the same way as West Ham are these days away from the Boleyn. Younger readers must be incredulous that they are the team we have beaten the most. If you were born in the Lambert era, I guess the website comes up with 'not applicable'?

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2015, 03:24:45 PM »
Suprised that Everton are the most beaten team in my lifetime (dec 1967)
Was for me as well (74).   Not really a surprise though, we have played them the most and they are more beatable than other teams we have played consistently.........

Offline ez

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2015, 05:35:18 PM »
Gregory has a better win percentage than O'Neil but Little has a worse one?

Offline Stirchley Villain

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 05:39:51 PM »

Me too. And I share a birthday with Stuart Pearce. I saw him at Stanstead earlier this year. He's taller than I thought.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal