collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Where are the goals coming from?  (Read 4701 times)

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Re: Where are the goals coming from?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 06:54:09 AM »
This is one of the reasons I am quite keen on the Adebayor signing, he is capable of scoring 20 goals in a season, whereas none of the other signings appear to have that threat.  Admittedly he is equally likely to get zero goals, but if we have mitigated that risk by it only being a loan signing then I am not too worried by this potential downside.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 07:50:24 AM »
I reckon Adebayor will sign eventually. I also reckon Gestede will be our signing of the summer. So goals wise, I am not too concerned, more in supply than the actual scoring. Last season we managed 31 goals in all competitions and Benteke got what, 13 or so of them?

This season I reckon we will score 45-50 goals (9-12th region). Gestede will get 10-12, Adebayor 10-12, Ayew 8 ish, Sinclair 8 ish, Kozak and Gabby 5 ish, Grealish 3, and a.n.other winger 3-4. Then the midfield will get 2-3 each and Richards will get 3. Amavi might get 1 too. So make that over 50. I genuinely think this team, more than last season, has goals in it.

On your most pessimistic figures, that adds up to only about 10 short of Chelsea's goal tally last season!
They're certainly optimistic.

I remember that Guardian preview pointed out that if you take out Benteke, Gabby and Weimann (the latter two hardly being prolific themselves), our next highest goalscorer over the last three seasons is Bacuna with five.

To reiterate - five goals in three seasons makes you our fourth highest goalscorer over that time.

Online brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 09:05:12 AM »
Having only seen them at Forest, I got the overwhelming impression that our side will be full of goals. Kozak had a very poor game at Forest but that may or may not be due to two games in quick succession after such a long lay off. For me the jury is still out on Libor.  With what we have I would guess the goals will be spread Gestede 10, Sinclair 10, Ayew 7, Gabby 6, Vertoute 5, Gueye 4, Richards 3, Clark 2, Amavi 1, Barry 4(pens), Kozak 4 if he plays, ditto Bacuna. Adebeyor if he comes either 0 or 20.
Our defence is the problem, not the attack.

Offline nigel

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 10:28:53 AM »
I'm confident Kozak can go +10 given game time. Gabby will be about 6-8 goals . Gestede I've not seen much of but think he's more equipped than Ayew who for me looks lightweight.
I'm hoping Veretout and Gueye can add +10 between them.

Who's taking pens now ?

Veretout takes a good penalty

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 10:51:31 AM »
I agree with Brian I'm more concerned about how many goals we will concede as I think the defence looks a bit on the weak side.   Plenty of forward players but as to how many goals they will get is anyone's guess.  I was trying to recall how our goals were distributed pre-Benteke. After a quick check on 2011-2012 it was Bent with 9, Gabby with 5, then only a few others sprinkled around the midfielders and defenders.  It's  a wonder we survived and hopefully it can't be any worse than that.

As for Kozak perhaps we could send him down to Barclays in the City for a quick fix.

Offline Eckybloke

• GM : 06.06.2019
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 10:55:45 AM »
I think Tim has been watching the NBA over the summer and decided what we need is scorelines like that, so look out for 103-102 thrillers.  It's not going to be the scoring of goals that is the problem but letting them in!

;)

(as pointed out by many other people had I bothered to read the replies)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 11:02:12 AM by Eckybloke »

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 11:42:50 AM »
I think once Gestede is fit he will be our focal point and certainly looks like he has all the attributes to be a goal scorer. We also have a very good complement now of midfielders/inside forwards so there's definitely goals in the team, subject to playing the right way.

As others have said, more (very) concerned about the defence.

Offline levico

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 02:45:01 PM »
I think Gestede might surprise us (in a good way).

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 12:09:14 AM »
I'm expecting big things from veretout once settled in as a midfielder who will add goals. Traroe , Sinclair are two options and if we do add another striker then hopefully be a goalscoring one.
I'd like the system to change with the width coming from the two wide men supporting the main striker. Already there has been an over reliance in full back attacks. However I thats is the way Sherwood gonna play it I'd like to see amavi and Hutton or Bacuna in the box and getting involved like Joel ward and azpillecuta and Shaw have shown.

I think goals will be coming once veretoutbis established in side alongside either snachez or Westwood or ahead of . he's a defo contender for a number 10 role  but then so is grealish and Gil . I would like grealish and traore to play on outside of man and not just be cutting in so will see how that develops.

Shall see too if Richards can head it in from set plays as he does like to attack the ball but so far no better than Baker at accuracy.

Offline warleyboy

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2015, 12:11:22 PM »
We will see Kozak leave and last minute signing for Charlie Austin, TS has strong links with the guys from QPR.
I believe it's already a done deal.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2015, 04:46:35 PM »
You probably need around 50 league goals to finish comfortably mid table - assuming a reasonable defence. Can we convincingly stack up where that might come from? Based on gut instinct:

Gestede - 8
Kozak - 4
Ayew - 5
Gabby - 3
Sinclair - 10
Grealish - 3
Adama - 4
Gil - 3
Veretout - 2
Gana - 2
Westwood - 1
Gardner - 2
Amavi - 2
Richards - 2

That makes 51 and doesn't feel heroic. But does rely on scoring a few from set pieces
Lescott - 2
Bacuna - 1

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2015, 08:59:22 PM »
It feels like a lifetime since our central defenders contributed goals on a regular basis. I would be delighted if Richards, Lescott et al could deliver a few from set-pieces this season.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2015, 09:05:25 PM »
Gestede - 5
Kozak - 7
Ayew - 1
Gabby - 6
Sinclair - 11
Grealish - 1
Adama - 6
Gil - 0
Veretout - 0
Gana - 1
Westwood - 0
Gardner - 0
Amavi - 1
Richards - 1
Lescott 2

42 goals . Nowhere near enough.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2015, 09:27:14 PM »
You surprise me

So you really think that for the rest of the season, Gestede and Ayew will get 5 goals between them?

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2015, 09:31:16 PM »
You surprise me

So you really think that for the rest of the season, Gestede and Ayew will get 5 goals between them?
In the PL around that figure . Possibly as high as 12 , it's all guesswork at this stage

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal