collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Where are the goals coming from?  (Read 4694 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Where are the goals coming from?
« on: August 04, 2015, 11:26:21 PM »
Just wondering, as Adebayor hasn't happened yet, it is starting to look like it might not happen at all.

If that is the case - and, to be honest, to a lesser degree even if he does come - should we be a bit worried about where the goals are going to come from?

We've spent the Benteke money well, but we haven't replaced him, have we? Ayew to me looks like a Weimann replacement. Kozak I like a lot, but it's a big ask to expect him to provide the goals this soon - and to rely on him strikes me as asking for trouble.

Gestede looks like he could be a more than decent player, but he's come off the back of one really good season in the championship. Would it be fair on him (or sensible) to rely on him to provide them?

So, as per the poll, do we need another striker?

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
Re: Where are the goals coming from?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 11:28:03 PM »
It's alright. Tim has asked the midfield to chip in this season.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 11:30:29 PM »
We need another striker. If not Adebayor then someone similar... tall and powerful, with a good goalscoring record and a bit of skill. Not Berbatov though I just don't think he'd be mobile enough. I'd give him a chance.

The fact that I'm unable to think of anyone who we'd get who fits all my criteria is why I've been banging on that we should sign Adebayor for the last month or so! I'll be disappointed of he doesn't sign.

That said, we do have some strikers and, especially with Sinclair in goalscoring form, I wouldn't be in a rush to sign someone just for the sake of signing someone, anyone.

We need to identify the right player and get him, even if it doesn't happen until five to midnight on Eastie Day.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 11:30:33 PM »
It's alright. Tim has asked the midfield to chip in this season.

We'll certainly miss TClevz's goal contributions.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 11:35:04 PM »
I'm confident Kozak can go +10 given game time. Gabby will be about 6-8 goals . Gestede I've not seen much of but think he's more equipped than Ayew who for me looks lightweight.
I'm hoping Veretout and Gueye can add +10 between them.

Who's taking pens now ?

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 11:35:07 PM »
I reckon Adebayor will sign eventually. I also reckon Gestede will be our signing of the summer. So goals wise, I am not too concerned, more in supply than the actual scoring. Last season we managed 31 goals in all competitions and Benteke got what, 13 or so of them?

This season I reckon we will score 45-50 goals (9-12th region). Gestede will get 10-12, Adebayor 10-12, Ayew 8 ish, Sinclair 8 ish, Kozak and Gabby 5 ish, Grealish 3, and a.n.other winger 3-4. Then the midfield will get 2-3 each and Richards will get 3. Amavi might get 1 too. So make that over 50. I genuinely think this team, more than last season, has goals in it.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 11:38:40 PM »
I reckon Adebayor will sign eventually. I also reckon Gestede will be our signing of the summer. So goals wise, I am not too concerned, more in supply than the actual scoring. Last season we managed 31 goals in all competitions and Benteke got what, 13 or so of them?

This season I reckon we will score 45-50 goals (9-12th region). Gestede will get 10-12, Adebayor 10-12, Ayew 8 ish, Sinclair 8 ish, Kozak and Gabby 5 ish, Grealish 3, and a.n.other winger 3-4. Then the midfield will get 2-3 each and Richards will get 3. Amavi might get 1 too. So make that over 50. I genuinely think this team, more than last season, has goals in it.

On your most pessimistic figures, that adds up to only about 10 short of Chelsea's goal tally last season!

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 11:39:03 PM »
I'm confident Kozak can go +10 given game time. Gabby will be about 6-8 goals . Gestede I've not seen much of but think he's more equipped than Ayew who for me looks lightweight.
I'm hoping Veretout and Gueye can add +10 between them.

Who's taking pens now ?

Barry :-(

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 11:39:39 PM »

Who's taking pens now ?

Barry, as ever.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 11:40:15 PM »
Ah, I was late!

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 11:42:20 PM »
Silly question

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 12:14:28 AM »

On your most pessimistic figures, that adds up to only about 10 short of Chelsea's goal tally last season!

Chelsea were rubbish though weren't they..... mmm

Maybe knock 3-4 off each!

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 03:23:09 AM »
Not worried, plenty of forward thinking players in the squad now.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 04:23:44 AM »
The goals will come from lots of places which is exactly how it should be. The fact that Benteke scored 50% of our goals over the past three years would be a great stat if we scored 150-160 goals+ in that span of time. We relied too much on him and we need to get defenders, midfielders and the other attacking players to contribute. Also unlike life under Lambert we will attempt (sometimes to our detriment) to play the game in the opponents half and third this season. It will give us every chance to improve the GF column.

Offline VicMackey

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 05:45:57 AM »
Despite losing Benteke I think we should be stronger up front this year.  We relied on him too much and there wasn't anybody else to shoulder the burden.  I'm quite excited to see Gestede in action - I think he could be a great buy and I expect the forward line to be him plus one.  Hopefully the midfield can chip in more than they have previously.

I'm more concerned about conceding goals - I hope we're still in the market for a centre half.  If he's Scandinavian and has a beard, so much the better...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal