collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by Dogtanian
[Today at 10:58:42 AM]

NSWE Investment by aev
[Today at 10:58:23 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Risso
[Today at 10:58:19 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Risso
[Today at 10:57:02 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by AV82EC
[Today at 10:54:31 AM]

Champions League Contention by LeeS
[Today at 10:41:54 AM]

Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Mister E
[Today at 10:10:27 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by LeeB
[Today at 09:55:19 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Premier League - Aston Villa can't afford to be much worse this season  (Read 8773 times)

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
Re: Premier League - Aston Villa can't afford to be much worse this season
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 09:36:04 PM »
The loss of 4 key players line is laughable though. Vlaar and cleverley key players? You what son?

I think they mean "key" in the sense that they played a lot of games for us (when available), which they did.  Whether they'd be key players in better teams, or whether they're replaceable is (very) debatable.

But even then vlaar didn't play that many games, was injured for a lot of the ones he played and only showed flashes of his best. I'm not saying he wasn't, injuries aside, among the best squad members. But that's not what the article says, it says he's key and suggests his loss will directly hurt our chances next season, which I don't think is true.

Offline themossman

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 09:38:50 PM »
Also, to talk about young players stepping up and ignore Clark is equally criminal.

Towards the end of the season people wouldve been happy for Cleverley to stay and how much longer is Clark going to be regrded as a young player. He's 26 next month......

Cleverley had as many terrible games as good ones for us. I wasn't bothered when he buggered off.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 09:46:48 PM »
5 of our best players have gone (started cup final ) , that's what the media will look at and comment on mostly.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 09:48:43 PM »
The loss of 4 key players line is laughable though. Vlaar and cleverley key players? You what son?

Well we won a very limited number of games last year and id say they were both reasonably key in a good chunk of those wins

Offline themossman

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 09:54:44 PM »
But we also lost a lot of games they all played in. My point is that if those 4 players (the spine of the team) were good/key to extent that losing them would put us in jeopardy next season then we wouldn't have been so shit for most of last season. And therefore replacing them with well regarded French players isn't the wild punt that is implied.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 09:59:43 PM »
But we also lost a lot of games they all played in. My point is that if those 4 players (the spine of the team) were good/key to extent that losing them would put us in jeopardy next season then we wouldn't have been so shit for most of last season. And therefore replacing them with well regarded French players isn't the wild punt that is implied.
Indeed and the way we ended last season including the final (certainly post the 2nd goal) suggested they were already gone .

Online tomd2103

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 10:03:19 PM »
5 of our best players have gone (started cup final ) , that's what the media will look at and comment on mostly.

Yep, especially the media outlets whose knowledge and interest is concentrated on teams in London, Manchester and Liverpool. 

Offline Damo70

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 08:47:52 AM »
The truth is you have to be very poor to go down. Sunderland and ourselves are proof of that. We even had a mid season break from scoring goals and winning points and got away with it.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 08:49:17 AM »

We finished 17th and got blootered 4-0 in the Final, so just how good were those five players? I'll say, Benteke aside, the answer is "not very".
So considering Delph and Benteke were off anyway, what have we lost by replacing just about the entire team with what, in general, looks like quite an exciting bunch of new players? We may well go down if they don't gel or Sherwood is found out, but many pundits have been predicting that for the past three seasons anyway.
 Same as I said in another thread, we had nothing to lose, may as well enjoy the ride!

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 08:56:41 AM »

Which 5 best players are these?

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 09:01:00 AM »

Doesn't take a genius to work out 4 of them. Benteke, Vlaar, Delph, Cleverley. The 5th is probably Given, but he's not too much of a miss in reality.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2015, 09:09:25 AM »

Doesn't take a genius to work out 4 of them. Benteke, Vlaar, Delph, Cleverley. The 5th is probably Given, but he's not too much of a miss in reality.

You're probably right, but if so then it's difficult to take seriously a post suggesting that Given was amongst our "best players".

If he were and we thought he were going to be missed, he wouldn't have been pushed towards the door marked "do one" at the first available opportunity.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2015, 09:11:09 AM »

We finished 17th and got blootered 4-0 in the Final, so just how good were those five players? I'll say, Benteke aside, the answer is "not very".
So considering Delph and Benteke were off anyway, what have we lost by replacing just about the entire team with what, in general, looks like quite an exciting bunch of new players? We may well go down if they don't gel or Sherwood is found out, but many pundits have been predicting that for the past three seasons anyway.
 Same as I said in another thread, we had nothing to lose, may as well enjoy the ride!

I agree with Dave, it's exciting so let's just enjoy it.  FWIW though, I think we're better now in every single department on the pitch, we just need it to gel fairly quickly.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2015, 10:28:41 AM »

You're probably right, but if so then it's difficult to take seriously a post suggesting that Given was amongst our "best players".

If he were and we thought he were going to be missed, he wouldn't have been pushed towards the door marked "do one" at the first available opportunity.

But that's no sort of argument because that is just assuming that Sherwood was right to get rid of Given, news flash managers do make wrong calls.  I accept that Shey is past his best but I still think he was worth keeping for another year as back up keeper, instead we're taking a gamble on an unknown in Bunn. 

To lose the sort of players we have and to try and replace them with players who might be good either now or the future or might take time adjusting etc.. is a big gamble.  I understand that Sherwood is limited money wise but I still think he could have gone for some players who know English Football better.

One thing I think should improve this season is the home form because Sherwood should really play on getting the players up when there is a big crowd and sending them out more positive than for most of last season.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2015, 10:33:50 AM »
Still think we need a centreback in. A big commanding centreback who dominates in the air. I know that's easier said than done, but I don't trust either Baker, Okore or Clark, and Richards is injury prone. Once we sign one I can relax a bit, but until then the defence still worries me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal