collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Lille vs Aston Villa match thread by itbrvilla
[Today at 06:26:08 PM]

FA Cup replays scrapped by Beard82
[Today at 05:54:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gabby - keep or let go  (Read 100540 times)

Offline mattjpa

Re: Gabby - keep or let go
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2015, 11:58:07 AM »
Keep. I think alotof you are forgetting that Gabbys downturn in goal returns has coincided with two of the crappest, most negative managerial apoointments ive ever witnessed. Gabby has never been nor ever will be the sort of player who can win a game with no help from anyone else (like Benteke). Lets just see what he turns out under a progressive, attack minded manager.

I think, If he stays fit and gets a decent run in the side under Sherwood he will surprise a few of you on here.

Online Taylor

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2015, 12:13:14 PM »
Keep. I know there's no room for sentimentality in football but Gabby is Villa through and through, and I believe it's important to have someone like that in the dressing room.

We've all been bemoaning the attitude of footballers in recent weeks. Gabby has always been loyal. It would be a shame to see him in a different shirt.

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2015, 12:20:25 PM »
Keep. I know there's no room for sentimentality in football but Gabby is Villa through and through, and I believe it's important to have someone like that in the dressing room.

We've all been bemoaning the attitude of footballers in recent weeks. Gabby has always been loyal. It would be a shame to see him in a different shirt.

Not decrying his loyalty, but, playing devil's advocate, when has he had a chance to express that loyalty by turning down an approach from someone else?

Personally I could live with seeing him in another shirt if it meant that we'd signed another Benteke.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2015, 12:22:53 PM »
Keep him. If he's fit and in shape, he can be a talismanic presence.

For what it's worth though, my password at work last month was Benteke20 and he was gone within a few days of it expiring and me changing it to Agbonlahor11...

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2015, 12:25:49 PM »
Another Michael Owen. As soon as the pace deserted him (and a lot of it seemed to be his own making with the timber he has been carrying around), his threat became less and less. This was quickly picked up by other teams and knew they did not have to defend so deep. Hence, I believe why a lot more pressure was put on our midfield over the last few years.

I don't think he will be happy playing a bit part role, so I think its time for him to go.

Another Michael Owen? People seem to forget how goo Owen was before the injuries, comparing (if that is what you're doing) him to Agbonlahor is insulting.

I'd let him go. We should ask this question again after he misses a sitter vs Bournemouth.

I'd also like to add that Owen was still quality despite his injuries, he'd adjusted his game due to his reduced pace.

His problem was the injuries just kept coming back.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2015, 12:54:49 PM »
Poll added.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2015, 01:12:19 PM »
The best we saw of Gabby I think was when he was playing as the lone front man under MON a few season's back. With Ayew and Sinclair either side of him, playing him through the middle in the last 20 minutes of games might be an idea. I don't think he's cut out to play as a wide man anymore. Keep.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2015, 01:20:15 PM »
Keep him. If he's fit and in shape, he can be a talismanic presence.

For what it's worth though, my password at work last month was Benteke20 and he was gone within a few days of it expiring and me changing it to Agbonlahor11...

Do you work for a bank by any chance? And if so which one and where do you sit at work?

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2015, 01:25:53 PM »
Gabby's not going anywhere. The injury has really screwed him though, which is in a very unfortunate way good for us. That is, he wasn't doing us any favours being in the starting line up, and by the time he gets back he won't be a first team player. He'll at most be on the bench which is where can be effective. You never want to wish injury on your own, but this will in likelihood give the side a chance to move on. It may also set in place the next stage of his career.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2015, 01:26:56 PM »
I think he's under-appreciated by Villa fans.

He's been around such a long time that he's nothing new any more, we're used to him and his style of play. Opposition defenders still don't like playing against him and he's useful to mix it up.

Plus he scores when you least expect him to and important goals at that.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2015, 01:33:13 PM »
Keep.  Review in 12 months time.

Offline Breezeblock

• GM : 29.11.2024
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2015, 01:35:40 PM »
A front-line striker that has scored 33 goals in his last 5 seasons (164 appearances) Averageing 6.6 goals per season over the last 5? See ya!

Online tomd2103

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2015, 01:39:39 PM »
The best we saw of Gabby I think was when he was playing as the lone front man under MON a few season's back. With Ayew and Sinclair either side of him, playing him through the middle in the last 20 minutes of games might be an idea. I don't think he's cut out to play as a wide man anymore. Keep.

He played up front on his own against Albion last season and did well.  I'd be perfectly happy to have him as a squad option, but he would be an expensive squad option considering the money he is reputedly on. 

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2015, 01:42:04 PM »
Somewhat pointless question really.  Is it 3 years he has left on his contract. He doesn't go anywhere unless he specifically wants to go.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2015, 01:42:29 PM »
Keep. He was instrumental in our upsurge in form until he got injured and easy to forget we were worried post Tottenham as he was looking bright and lively. Sherwood was also waxing lyrical about him. I think he's vital, or at least a wanted cog, in the Sherwood up tempo system that he is keen to deploy. He scores important goals and never minds whichever position he is asked to play, even if it doesn't fit into his style of play. He has played wide, had to do a lot of back tracking, played the lone furrow by running the channels, worked with a similar sized player although none of that is his game. feeding off Young's crosses and playing off Carew saw him at his best. Playing the lone man but the way we used Benteke a,lso gave him the chance to play on the shoulder but his pace have made manager after manager misuse him. It was only O'Neill he saw the best way to play him.
I'm with you on this.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal