collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gabby - keep or let go  (Read 100654 times)

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
Re: Gabby - keep or let go
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 10:52:49 AM »
Another Michael Owen. As soon as the pace deserted him (and a lot of it seemed to be his own making with the timber he has been carrying around), his threat became less and less. This was quickly picked up by other teams and knew they did not have to defend so deep. Hence, I believe why a lot more pressure was put on our midfield over the last few years.

I don't think he will be happy playing a bit part role, so I think its time for him to go.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 10:55:00 AM »
He's worth keeping around to bring on as a sub when we've got a lead to give chasing teams something to think about; and he can start the games against Albion. Other than that, I don't want to see him on a pitch in a PL game.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 10:59:10 AM »
Keep. Useful squad player.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 11:00:08 AM »
Time to move him on while he's still worth something. No new contract when his one expires.

Decent player for Wolves to go after.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 11:00:32 AM »
Keep. On his day he's unplayable still.

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 11:05:45 AM »
not sure we'd get much money for him tbh, unless someone wants him as their token english player.

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 11:08:40 AM »
Time to move him on while he's still worth something. No new contract when his one expires.

Well if it is to be believed that he is on around £60,000 a week and still has three years of his four year contract to run, then roughly paying £8.5 million in wages for someone to sit on the bench is a lot of money.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 11:09:23 AM »
Keep. Get a decent winger in and he'll score goals again.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 11:17:46 AM »
Let go. Hasn't been good enough for years, and as injury prone as Nathan Baker.

We need better than one good game in ten.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 11:21:55 AM »

Well if it is to be believed that he is on around £60,000 a week and still has three years of his four year contract to run, then roughly paying £8.5 million in wages for someone to sit on the bench is a lot of money.

Which is why we need to ship him out while there's still some value and save on the wages.

The one good game in ten analogy is right where Gabby is concerned and that cannot be acceptable anymore.

Offline VicMackey

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2015, 11:28:12 AM »
If we can get a good price for him that can be invested elsewhere then I would say take the money.  It may actually be good for him to have a new start somewhere else too - he's probably too comfortable at Villa.  But it would be very strange to see him line up against us.

Offline KRS

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2015, 11:31:04 AM »
Gabby is like our very own version of Forrest Gump. He's not the brightest spark on the pitch and his finishing is shockingly bad at time, but he can still terrify most defenders with his pace. TS needs to have a word and get more performances out of him...as someone else previously mentioned, if he can rediscover his work rate and determination then he is useful but as good as useless if he's not even making the effort expected of him; if he can't raise his game, then ship him out as should happen to any player not giving 100%.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2015, 11:33:21 AM »
Keep, useful squad player who would be ideal to come off the bench for the last 15 minutes to use his pace against tired defenders.

Offline BoskoDjembaSalifou

• BoskoDjembaSalifou
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2015, 11:33:54 AM »
Another Michael Owen. As soon as the pace deserted him (and a lot of it seemed to be his own making with the timber he has been carrying around), his threat became less and less. This was quickly picked up by other teams and knew they did not have to defend so deep. Hence, I believe why a lot more pressure was put on our midfield over the last few years.

I don't think he will be happy playing a bit part role, so I think its time for him to go.

Another Michael Owen? People seem to forget how goo Owen was before the injuries, comparing (if that is what you're doing) him to Agbonlahor is insulting.

I'd let him go. We should ask this question again after he misses a sitter vs Bournemouth.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2015, 11:48:18 AM »
IF it were not for that STUPID song that some fans sing about our beloved Gabby, he would have been gone some years ago!

I pray that someone will make a bid for him and he goes along with Hutton / Nzogbia etc....

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal