collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ready for Press-off  (Read 3588 times)

Offline KRS

Re: Ready for Press-off
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 03:12:18 PM »
Richards and Clark are clearly the first choice pairing at the moment, but they've only had a few preseason games together so its far from settled or tested...

1. I'm not convinced by Richards at CB yet.
2. As a pairing they haven't been tested by any decent opposition.
3. What happens when one of them inevitably gets injured?

I'm genuinely and generally very optimistic but having the injury/mistake prone Okore, Baker and Senderos as our backup options to our first choice pairing gives me what I consider cause for concern at the back.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 03:44:22 PM »
Richards and Clark are clearly the first choice pairing at the moment, but they've only had a few preseason games together so its far from settled or tested...

1. I'm not convinced by Richards at CB yet.
2. As a pairing they haven't been tested by any decent opposition.
3. What happens when one of them inevitably gets injured?

I'm genuinely and generally very optimistic but having the injury/mistake prone Okore, Baker and Senderos as our backup options to our first choice pairing gives me what I consider cause for concern at the back.

All true but:

1. Let's give him a chance
2. Not their fault, in 2 weeks they'll have played against one of the best sides in the league, maybe judge them after that?
3. I agree on this, as I said, I like the idea of a better backup than Baker who I have major reservations about.  I'm happy with Okore and if Senderos could stay fit I'd be very happy with him as well.

I normally advocate improving your backup options by replacing a first teamer and making him the backup but I don't think that's the right approach here.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 03:48:19 PM »
They were involved in a goal after 24 seconds mind you ;)

Yes, try though and they will get better by staying healthy and playing together. I find it amazing how unlucky we have been at that position when by comparison you look at Chelsea for example where Cahill/Terry along with Ivanovic and Azpilicueta never seem to be hurt. I know they are a higher level but the fact that they are fit and play most of the games really helps create that chemistry.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 03:53:58 PM »
They were involved in a goal after 24 seconds mind you ;)

Yes, try though and they will get better by staying healthy and playing together. I find it amazing how unlucky we have been at that position when by comparison you look at Chelsea for example where Cahill/Terry along with Ivanovic and Azpilicueta never seem to be hurt. I know they are a higher level but the fact that they are fit and play most of the games really helps create that chemistry.

I did refer to that goal (twice).

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 12:34:41 PM »
Good read Dave.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 01:14:44 PM »
Nice article. As it currently stands I'd bite your hand off for 10th. Imagine how many happy Saturdays (match days) that position would bring? Cue nostalgic hazy pictures and memories of yesteryear.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 01:33:35 PM »
Agree with all of it, patricularly the idea of bolstering the defence still further. I do think that one experienced player to replace a loaned out Baker could make all the difference though.

I keep seeing comments about losing our best CB, CM and CF. Vlaar was largely crap and easy to replace, we have done so with Richards. Delph was good, but really not irreplaceable. We have Gueye who in Pre season has looked pretty much as good as Delph, Sanchez who i think will be better this season than last and Veretout who sounds very promising. Westwood is also looking like he's improving. Another plus is that we lost Cleverly. Yes, Benteke when fit is bordering on world class, but dont forget he was missing for large chunks of the last 2 seasons, with no real back up. We now have a fit Kozak, Ayew and Gustede with at least one more striker looking likely to come in.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal