collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ready for Press-off  (Read 3570 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Ready for Press-off
« on: August 03, 2015, 01:16:13 AM »

Offline tomd2103

Re: Ready for Press-off
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 01:32:54 AM »
Agree about the predictions based on our league position last season.  Under Sherwood, we were far from being as bad as the finishing position suggested, though things did unravel somewhat during the last three games.  Yes, losing Benteke was a blow, but there are a number of teams who have finished above us in recent seasons that have strikers nowhere near his quality.  They do, however, have more balanced sides and that is something I think we have set out to achieve with our signings this summer.

Offline Californian Villain

• Mustang 68
  • GM : Apr, 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 01:47:26 AM »
"If Villa’s re-shaped midfield can chip in with half a dozen each, which isn’t a difficult task"

Difficult?  When was the last time that happened? Next to impossible more likely.

Offline Boz

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 09:53:13 AM »
The coming season will provide intrigue, despair and hopefully delight if the majority of Sherwood's choices of new players deliver. I'd agree that around 8th/10th would be a great start to the Sherwood regime and give the fans a boost after the last few years of frustration, so am hoping that the Sherwood enthusiasm will run throughout the squad and the majority of the new players can cut the mustard.

UTV

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 09:59:47 AM »
"If Villa’s re-shaped midfield can chip in with half a dozen each, which isn’t a difficult task"

Difficult?  When was the last time that happened? Next to impossible more likely.
Probably under Houllier when Young, Downing and Albrighton chipped in 20 or so between them.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 10:08:36 AM »
I'd definitely take a 10th place finish with perhaps another cup run .

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 10:16:02 AM »
From what I have seen of the new intake, it looks full of goals.   The defence need plenty of work but I genuinely think scoring goals next season will be more frequent than last.

Online joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 10:28:10 AM »
10th is about right. I expect us to win as many as we lose with a handful of draws and a negative goal difference between five and ten.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 10:28:39 AM »
I expect to see a fair amount of goals from MF this season. Sinclair, Gil, Grealish, Gueye should all be contributing. If Sinclair had been here for longer than half a season he would have got that last year, as would Cleverley if the prick had turned up before March. Delph had the opportunity to do so but was absolutely shocking at pulling the trigger (he will get found out at city for this as well - running round like an enthusiastic labrador won't cut it at the level they need)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 12:22:27 PM by mattjpa »

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 10:51:53 AM »
All depends on how the team knits together with the new signings to cover obvious defensive frailties. the fact Baker may be starting should set alarm bells ringing.

We could finish 10th, or even 8th. We could finish 20th just as easily

Offline KRS

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 11:02:57 AM »
This and the next few weeks of the transfer window could really define how well we perform this season...if we don't address the defensive frailties then we'll finish in the bottom half; bring in an experienced CB, a couple more in key positions and cut out this bad habit of conceding stupid/late goals then we could be top half if the players gel as well as we all hope.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 01:31:24 PM »
I think we'll be just fine and we will have addressed the defence by the end of the window. It will still take time to bed in, but when we get going these French lads will take over and we'll see a very efficient looking team. We look very fast and I think this lot will work very hard to get the ball back. We'll score goals and we'll break our magnificent 12 goals by mid-late September. I still think the major push will come in the second half of the season when we will challenge for Europa spot but just falling short in the end. A league cup run is certainly though very much a possibility.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 01:43:53 PM »
We have lost our best Central Defeder, Best Midfielder and our Best Striker and goal scorer.
I dont think there is much more we can do except take the gambles we are doing with some exciting yet untried talent.
This could so easily go wrong.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 01:45:01 PM »
We have lost our best Central Defeder, Best Midfielder and our Best Striker and goal scorer.
I dont think there is much more we can do except take the gambles we are doing with some exciting yet untried talent.
This could so easily go wrong.

Still, musn't grumble

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 03:00:18 PM »
This and the next few weeks of the transfer window could really define how well we perform this season...if we don't address the defensive frailties then we'll finish in the bottom half; bring in an experienced CB, a couple more in key positions and cut out this bad habit of conceding stupid/late goals then we could be top half if the players gel as well as we all hope.

You keep referring to defensive frailties, late goals and a lack of a partnership whilst seemingly ignoring that Clark and Richards are clearly the first choice pairing and they haven't been involved in the late goals and have looked pretty decent (barring the very beginning on the forest game).  I think we need to give them a couple of games together to see how things look because right now I'm not convinced the problem is anything like a serious as you and a lot more on here are suggesting.

As a pairing they've conceded 3 in about 4 1/2 games and 1 of those was the freak deflection for Walsall and the last was getting caught cold by forest which i doubt will happen in a league game.

Baker is a worry as he's been at fault for a couplebut with Okore to come back there's a fair chance Baker either won't be in the matchday squad every week or might even be out on loan if the rumours are to be believed.

All of that said I would like another defender so we can let Baker go out on loan but for me I wouldn't be looking for anyone who expected to be first choice regardless.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal