collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Plaudits are due!!  (Read 11133 times)

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Re: Plaudits are due!!
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2015, 08:45:23 AM »
I'm in the 'it's too early to say' camp. 

That is not a criticism, just that I had not heard of any of the french lot so cannot begin the say whether they're good value for money or otherwise.  That said, they're all pretty much the type of player that I would have wanted us to buy - e.g. age and value - and trust that they have been suitably scouted and checked out by the new backroom staff.

As an aside I'm intrigued to know how the process has been managed between Sherwood/Reilly/The camp from Arsenal (not Fox, the new one).

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2015, 08:56:13 AM »
Me too. To use a cricket analogy*, we'll see how good our 1st innings total is once the other team has batted. Yes, lots of seemingly decent signings, but not too much is known of some of them and how will they all fit together? A lot of changes. But as Daniel says, everything looks like it was and is, being done the right way.

*not the best!

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2015, 08:56:46 AM »
I think the plaudits are timely and very much deserved.   The club from the top down is finally beginning to act like the big club we are and always have been.   I second and agree with all the praise in this thread but those of us who agree that we are finally on the right path have got to be braced for the inevitable comments of those who are poised in the wings to pass critical judgement.   We saw at Forest yesterday that the team is basically thrown together and there were defensive blunders in abundance.   But what we also saw was a team packed with good technique, speed, flair and imagination.   We have to hold our nerve during the difficulties of the early games and see the project of post TSMx2 team rebuilding through.  God knows how long we have waited for a player to make a cross for Sinclair's third goal like Veretout did yesterday, that alone was worth the drive from Southwold to Nottingham and back.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2015, 09:00:42 AM »
It's been very good and efficient. I think we're still a proven goal scorer and a quality centre half short, but we've done a very good job.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2015, 09:20:05 AM »
So what did you want the club to do in this window sign nobody at all.
I don't believe I said that.

Just in case they were 'Gash' as you put it.
You don't know that they aren't gash.

No pleasing some people is there?
Actually, there is. What you're failing to recognise (simply because I have a different opinion to you) is that I'll be pleased when the club have come through the season without getting relegated. Actually, dull, boring mid-table obscurity would actually be a joy for a change. That'll be the time for plaudits, in my opinion.

Some of us have been here before - the summer of 1986 we made signings. Do you remember it? We went into a new season full of hope. That hope was cruelly extinguished by Spurs (and a rampant Clive Allen in particular) on the opening day at home and things barely improved all season. The history books will tell you where we finished.

Ultimately, its results that the club will be judged on in history. Results will determine at which level we play beyond the coming season.

Not who we sign.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2015, 09:52:03 AM »
I was not applauding who we have signed.   Only time will tell us the answer to that one.   What I am applauding is the way we have gone about our business.   There has clearly been a plan.   In my eyes it is a very astute plan to look for european players and pay with record low Euros.   France was always going to offer opportunities to acquire better class players at competitive prices and players willing to move a relatively short distance for better wages than they can earn in Ligue Un.
I do not ask every new player we sign to be a Benteke, all I ask is for the purchase of the player to be done in a planned, positive and professional way.   For five years every sign coming out of VP was that we were making it up as we went along.   That that is over is reason enough to celebrate.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2015, 09:57:21 AM »
Here here Brian.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2015, 10:31:54 AM »
I'll be pleased when the club have come through the season without getting relegated. Actually, dull, boring mid-table obscurity would actually be a joy for a change. That'll be the time for plaudits, in my opinion.
The season before last we lost away to a poor Newcastle side in February. After the game my Newcastle friends were celebrating the fact that those 3 points meant that they were safe for another season, whereas we had another 3 months of tension and nervousness. I agree with you that mid-table obscurity would be a pleasant change.

As far as the new signings are concerned, we can't expect them all to succeed. Let's hope that a few do. QPR, Spurs and Liverpool have shown that wholesale changes don't necessarily bring success and certainly don't bring stability. Southampton, on the other hand, have proved that a good manager can change half the team and start winning immediately.

Of course we hope that the new Villa will play exciting, dynamic football and, like Saints, achieve instant success. But that may not happen. In the light of the last few seasons, comfortably avoiding relegation would be an achievement.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2015, 11:29:48 AM »
I think some people are missing the point.  It's not so much about who we've signed specifically but the professional (finally) way in which the club have gone about bringing in promising players in good time for the season.  I think most people accept that new signings can always go either way, even the Shevchenkos and Falcaos of this world aren't guaranteed to work out.  I think credit is due for the approach, especially if they now add some more defensive options.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2015, 12:34:40 PM »
I think some people are missing the point.  It's not so much about who we've signed specifically but the professional (finally) way in which the club have gone about bringing in promising players in good time for the season.  I think most people accept that new signings can always go either way, even the Shevchenkos and Falcaos of this world aren't guaranteed to work out.  I think credit is due for the approach, especially if they now add some more defensive options.

True to an extend, but the professionalism can only really be judged once the quality of the players is apparent, after all to spend money is not hard, to spend it in a sustainable way, much more difficult.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 10:21:07 AM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2015, 03:35:01 PM »
We haven't played a competitive game yet. Let's save the plaudits for a while...
This.

And if that is too negative for some then aside from a load of stats and Youtube videos we have no idea how these new signings are likely to perform in the Premier League. We could hve signed a load of duffers for all we know. I'd certainly not heard of any of the French-/Spanish based players before the last few weeks.

I want to believe. I'd love to believe, however this club has kicked me in the balls too many times for me to just accept a load of transfer activity as proof that things are going to be better. The last four or five years of gash football have helped see to that.

We can start working out if plaudits are due next Saturday at about 4.50pm. It'll be examination one of thirty-eight.

I broadly agree, Im looking at the sides people are thinking we will start with and am still wondering if it will be strong enough. However if we bring in another centre back and a forward then I think we will be in better shape.

The club have done well to get the players in with a minimum of fuss, it will be an interesting season.

Offline Madferret62

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2015, 03:47:05 PM »
Quantity isn' t quality, but time will tell.

Frankly I don't give a monkey's chuff whether the signings were done months in advance with meticulous planning or were agreed over 10 pints of  Inferno, written on the back of a fag packet- all signings are a gamble.

Online Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2015, 03:50:45 PM »

Frankly I don't give a monkey's chuff whether the signings were done months in advance with meticulous planning or were agreed over 10 pints of  Inferno, written on the back of a fag packet- all signings are a gamble.
I would suggest that the first type of signing has a higher chance of success than the second, though.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2015, 04:06:31 PM »

Barry, Barry Fry? Is that you?

Offline Diablo

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2015, 04:53:39 PM »

Barry, Barry Fry? Is that you?

Superb!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal