collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Plaudits are due!!  (Read 11190 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: Plaudits are due!!
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 08:36:08 PM »
We should still have about 20m left in the kitty to buy more if Sherwood wanted to on top too. Maybe Lerner I'd genuinely reinvigorated by Good and Sherwood. Fingers crossed because we are acting like a genuinely big club with ambition for the first time in years it seems it is underpinned with a real thought through plan.

Offline ExclDawg

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 09:05:53 PM »
Randolph Lerner needs to be on that list for blowing away any theories some people had that he would just trouser the money from this summers sales.

Randy - if this is what the future is going to look like, take the club off the market and stick around.

I'd have to say I'm one of the biggest Lerner defenders around.  I've even defended his actions against Browns fans when they were begging him to sell the team as if some new owner was going to magically wave a wand and pull in a new roster over-night that would suddenly look like they had played with each other for 5 years.

That said ... Lerner has taken around 40+ million pounds from the sales of Benteke and Delph and let Tim turn them into a slew of other players.  His net-spend is probably among the lowest of any year since he's been here.  Now granted he let the guy do his work and didn't pocket 40 million pounds and run off into retirement, but let's not pretend he's gone on some massive spending spree all of the sudden ... yet anyway. ;)

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 09:10:55 PM »
Ditto randy Lerner and Sheila in the ticket office for reasons only I know big bunch of flowers for her when i get up from towie land

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 09:13:42 PM »
It's not about net spend. It's about what you do with whatever resources you have available. If every season we sold a top player for £20-25m and invested that money 2-3 players we'll be better off. I almost think that teams like Man U spend the way they do because the fans simply couldn't face them buying in the £5-10m shop. Even if they could find the same or very similar quality there. We need to make sure we always invest wisely which we all hope Fox and Sherwood have done.

Offline Stirchley Villain

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 09:17:35 PM »
We haven't played a competitive game yet. Let's save the plaudits for a while...

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 10:11:50 PM »
We haven't played a competitive game yet. Let's save the plaudits for a while...

No, do it all now before it all turns to shit.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2015, 10:14:10 PM »

Have they exceeded all of your expectations for this transfer window? If the answer is yes, then plaudits are due. We'll worry about the season when it starts.

Online mike

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2015, 10:35:21 PM »
Randolph Lerner needs to be on that list for blowing away any theories some people had that he would just trouser the money from this summers sales.

Randy - if this is what the future is going to look like, take the club off the market and stick around.

I'd have to say I'm one of the biggest Lerner defenders around.  I've even defended his actions against Browns fans when they were begging him to sell the team as if some new owner was going to magically wave a wand and pull in a new roster over-night that would suddenly look like they had played with each other for 5 years.

That said ... Lerner has taken around 40+ million pounds from the sales of Benteke and Delph and let Tim turn them into a slew of other players.  His net-spend is probably among the lowest of any year since he's been here.  Now granted he let the guy do his work and didn't pocket 40 million pounds and run off into retirement, but let's not pretend he's gone on some massive spending spree all of the sudden ... yet anyway. ;)
This does remind me of the hyperbole around Lambert's first 'young and hungry' transfer window. I wasn't convinced and I think that, broadly speaking, I was right. I can see a lot more arguments for this window that actually hold water, but I am cautiously optimistic at best that we will be safe a bit earlier. I will, hopefully, be thrilled and delighted to be publicly wrong at the end of the season.

I also agree, that this is not some huge change in Randy's strategy. We are still living within our means, as we have done since McLeish.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2015, 10:52:02 PM »

I'd call that a Eureka moment in this thread.

Offline montague

• GM : 13.12.2015
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 10:54:16 PM »
Spurs spunked the Bale money and Liverpool the Suarez money so lets not get carried away yet until we have seen them all in action, but I do feel genuinely excited going into the season.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2015, 11:44:40 PM »

No, do it all now before it all turns to shit.

Lulz, spoken like a true Villain.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2015, 12:06:26 AM »
They have an excellent transfer window and I could see 3-4 more arrivals and maybe 2-3 departure in next few weeks. I hope we are using Arsenal transfer methods as footprint and we learn from our mistakes from O'Neill to Lambert era. But again we will know say in October or November if the team are gelling nicely.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2015, 12:11:56 AM »
If you believe as I do that Timmah thought we could keep Benteke and Delph, then this rapid execution of Plan B has been exemplary, and he deserves plaudits whether  it works out or not.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2015, 12:37:36 AM »
This.

And if that is too negative for some then aside from a load of stats and Youtube videos we have no idea how these new signings are likely to perform in the Premier League. We could hve signed a load of duffers for all we know. I'd certainly not heard of any of the French-/Spanish based players before the last few weeks.

I want to believe. I'd love to believe, however this club has kicked me in the balls too many times for me to just accept a load of transfer activity as proof that things are going to be better. The last four or five years of gash football have helped see to that.

We can start working out if plaudits are due next Saturday at about 4.50pm. It'll be examination one of thirty-eight.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2015, 08:23:15 AM »
This.

And if that is too negative for some then aside from a load of stats and Youtube videos we have no idea how these new signings are likely to perform in the Premier League. We could hve signed a load of duffers for all we know. I'd certainly not heard of any of the French-/Spanish based players before the last few weeks.

I want to believe. I'd love to believe, however this club has kicked me in the balls too many times for me to just accept a load of transfer activity as proof that things are going to be better. The last four or five years of gash football have helped see to that.

We can start working out if plaudits are due next Saturday at about 4.50pm. It'll be examination one of thirty-eight.
So what did you want the club to do in this window sign nobody at all.
Just in case they were 'Gash' as you put it.
No pleasing some people is there?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal