collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone Getting Excited?  (Read 8750 times)

Offline peter w

Re: Anyone Getting Excited?
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2015, 10:39:37 AM »
Short term, there will possibly be a few teething problems. Compare the newness of our squad to Bournemouth's who will possibly be more cohesive.
Bournemouth have made something like 6 signings this summer, though.

But haven't lost their best players.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2015, 11:02:33 AM »
It's my Birthday today and I would just like to thank my Uncle Tim Sherwood for buying me a new Aston Villa football team. You really shouldn't have but I'm glad you did.
Birthday on Yorkshire Day ... A powerful combination, MLF. Enjoy, and see you before the ManU game.

Online DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2015, 11:27:47 AM »
Only concern is all these new players fitting together. It is a lot of changes for I summer.

Offline tim

« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2015, 11:34:20 AM »
I was about to say "No, not really - this is the Villa, excitement isn't a word that logically comes to mind...". However with this bunch of signings, I'm thinking differently mainly as they're (to me at least) largely unknown and as a result, it'll be good to see some new faces which is intriguing as well as exciting.

let's hope it all works out..! 

Offline stubbsyandy

« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2015, 11:47:17 AM »
Oui, je suis excite

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2015, 11:55:29 AM »
Oui, je suis excite

Je suis un rockstar

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2015, 01:17:23 PM »
Things seem a whole lot brighter now thats for sure, in the old days 2-3 new signings would be enough to get you a title shot,not these days as its still a closed shop but at least there should be some exciting games this season with a whole new mindset missing since the MON years.

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2015, 02:20:21 PM »
Definitely excited but still short of a natural goalscorer, unless Gestede really makes the step up. A Bent circa 2011 character in there would make it look complete.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2015, 03:49:08 PM »
It's great that most of these players are signing 5 year deals. It really feels like we're refreshing from the misery of the last two years. It also backs my view that whilst Benteke is brilliant, selling him and reinvesting  the money across the squad could make us a much better team in the long run.

Not having a go at you Paul, but that comment, when compared to the everything that's happened from the last 18 months of O'Neil's tenure illustrates the damned if they do, damned if they don't nature of the contracts the club give out.

How much gnashing of teeth was there over the likes of Beye sitting on long term contracts earning £50-60K per week for f##k all. Howls repeated when Given and N'Zogbia signed similar contracts.
Then came Lambert. Most people on here apparently happy that we were only signing people on 3 year contracts. End of that season, "Why did we only sign Benteke on a 3 year contract, he's holding all the aces now." 12 months later "Vlaar's only got 12 months left on his 3 years. We should have signed him on 4 years or got an extension agreed before the world cup.

Now we're back to 5 year contracts for players who,Richards apart, have never played at this level before so in 6 months time we could be looking at paying Ayew £25K per week (pure guess) for 4 1/2 years.

Whatever they do they're backing a loser somewhere down the line.

Anyway, for what it's worth I don't see us being involved in too many 0-0 draws. It's going to flip from jaw droppingly fantastic, to watching through our fingers and back again, possibly within the same game.

When it clicks it will be fantastic and when it doesn't it won't be.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2015, 04:53:24 PM »
It's great that most of these players are signing 5 year deals. It really feels like we're refreshing from the misery of the last two years. It also backs my view that whilst Benteke is brilliant, selling him and reinvesting  the money across the squad could make us a much better team in the long run.

Not having a go at you Paul, but that comment, when compared to the everything that's happened from the last 18 months of O'Neil's tenure illustrates the damned if they do, damned if they don't nature of the contracts the club give out.

How much gnashing of teeth was there over the likes of Beye sitting on long term contracts earning £50-60K per week for f##k all. Howls repeated when Given and N'Zogbia signed similar contracts.
Then came Lambert. Most people on here apparently happy that we were only signing people on 3 year contracts. End of that season, "Why did we only sign Benteke on a 3 year contract, he's holding all the aces now." 12 months later "Vlaar's only got 12 months left on his 3 years. We should have signed him on 4 years or got an extension agreed before the world cup.

Now we're back to 5 year contracts for players who,Richards apart, have never played at this level before so in 6 months time we could be looking at paying Ayew £25K per week (pure guess) for 4 1/2 years.

Whatever they do they're backing a loser somewhere down the line.

Anyway, for what it's worth I don't see us being involved in too many 0-0 draws. It's going to flip from jaw droppingly fantastic, to watching through our fingers and back again, possibly within the same game.

When it clicks it will be fantastic and when it doesn't it won't be.

To be fair I think it makes much more sense to be handing out 5 year deals to young, potentially talented players like Amavi, Ayew etc than it did to say Shay Given. It seems likely that at least one or two will succeed, and hopefully more, so it stands to reason that we have as much control over their ultimate return as possible.

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2015, 04:57:44 PM »
After watching our defensive frailties just now ....then no i'm not excited. Just worried.

Admittedly the back 4 that finished that won't be starting next week

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2015, 05:01:54 PM »
After watching our defensive frailties just now ....then no i'm not excited. Just worried.

That's the important bit. Why get worried about a situation that once the season starts won't repeat itself. We won't make 7 changes in a game and the defence in most cases will never change. The first choice players will be much better and will improve as they get used to each other. Now, I do think we could upgrade RB but Richards and Clark should be ok.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2015, 05:04:45 PM »

That's the important bit. Why get worried about a situation that once the season starts won't repeat itself. We won't make 7 changes in a game and the defence in most cases will never change. The first choice players will be much better and will improve as they get used to each other. Now, I do think we could upgrade RB but Richards and Clark should be ok.

Mind you, the first choice central defensive pairing managed to concede within 30 seconds today.

I am far from convinced by the defence. I'd ideally like us to bring in another option at centre half. It looks more and more like Sherwood isn't intending on using Senderos much, so I'd look to move him on and bring someone else in.

I know I am starting to sound like I am going on about him, but Baker scares me a bit, I am not 100 percent convinced by Okore, and Richards seems to me unconvincing in that role (and is injury prone).

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2015, 05:06:29 PM »
Baker is a back up and he can look good in spells next to the right partner. He looked decent next to Vlaar for a bit last season. I wouldn't at all be against a new partner for Richards to really challenge Clark or just be an upgrade to him.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2015, 05:10:52 PM »
To be fair I think it makes much more sense to be handing out 5 year deals to young, potentially talented players like Amavi, Ayew etc than it did to say Shay Given. It seems likely that at least one or two will succeed, and hopefully more, so it stands to reason that we have as much control over their ultimate return as possible.

I think that that's fair.

Whatever they do there's a risk, but if you're going to hand out 5 year contracts, young talent with a lot of potential is where to do it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal