collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

150 celebrations by Risso
[Today at 06:00:21 PM]

NSWE Investment by Bad English
[Today at 05:55:04 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Bad English
[Today at 05:51:14 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by murfee
[Today at 05:44:50 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by Caribbeanvillan
[Today at 05:40:22 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by algy
[Today at 05:23:00 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Smithy
[Today at 05:21:40 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dogtanian
[Today at 05:15:20 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Rudy Gestede - GONE  (Read 112831 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Rudy Gestede - GONE
« Reply #915 on: February 25, 2017, 12:01:42 PM »
I find it depressing that he's still our second highest scorer this season.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #916 on: February 25, 2017, 12:47:49 PM »
I don't know why people keep on saying "he could've done a job at this level", because he really couldn't, at least from his appearances for us this season, even though his record at Blackburn was good. It was the exact same shit as it was last season: if he played from the start, he would basically offer no presence up front; he was only a threat when he came on as a sub and could go full-pelt for 20 to 30 minutes, and if we were going to turn down 6.5 million or whatever it was because losing a super sub was going to immeasurably fuck us, well, I think we have much larger problems (well, we do.)

I agree with most of that, but still maintain that he was probably closest to the type of striker we need.  We need a striker who can lead the line on his own, hold the ball up and bring others into play.  So far, we have spent the best part of £40m on strikers and still haven't got one who can perform that role.

The problem was that he couldn't lead the line on his own or hold the ball up.  However, he could bring others into play with his 2nd or 3rd touch after gathering the ball from his poor 1st touch.

There was only one way to play him and that was with wide players that could get in front of him and pull the ball back to him as he is a very good player running onto the ball. Sadly, we didn't play that way last season or this, so, getting money back on him was a good deal but does show a lack of attacking intent.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #917 on: February 25, 2017, 12:58:05 PM »
He had plenty of chances to lead the line, however his best efforts seem to continue me from off the bench. I'd rather of kept Ayew, but then can also understand why we let him leave.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #918 on: February 25, 2017, 01:34:34 PM »
I have no real problem with Rudy leaving except the timing. With the players in Africa, etc it made sense to drag the deal out towards the end of the window rather than leave us short in the first few days. The fact we went three weeks with Gabby and the gate keeper was foolish. 

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #919 on: February 25, 2017, 07:04:58 PM »
Surely a lot of this possession is also frame of mind. We sat very deep and dug in for the last 20-25 minutes. That's a lot of possession to give away. We need to take control early and take our chances and build confidence. We need to get away from this panic near the end of each half.

Wrong thread!!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #920 on: February 25, 2017, 07:11:03 PM »
Surely a lot of this possession is also frame of mind. We sat very deep and dug in for the last 20-25 minutes. That's a lot of possession to give away. We need to take control early and take our chances and build confidence. We need to get away from this panic near the end of each half.

Wrong thread!!

The positional sense of Gestede himself! ;)

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #921 on: February 25, 2017, 08:51:44 PM »
I have always liked and rated Rudy.  Put it this way, we got rid of three strikers in January and bought in one who hasn't scored yet.  Just didn't make sense to me.

Rated? On the basis of what. Shocking player. When Boro are relegated he wont be playing in the prem anytime soon

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal