collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Great article in the Grauniad  (Read 4843 times)

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Great article in the Grauniad
« on: July 29, 2015, 12:25:55 PM »
Here
Any team that loses their two key players will be expected to struggle. When that side finished just one place above the relegation zone in the previous season, they will be tipped for the drop. That’s the scenario Aston Villa find themselves in, having lost their top scorer from the past three seasons, Christian Benteke, and their player of the season from the past two, Fabian Delph. That there is a slightly unnerving sense of optimism surrounding the club before what is set to be their first full season under Tim Sherwood may be confusing to some. The fact of the matter is, however, that Villa have diced with death for too long and were in desperate need of an overhaul.
Losing key players may not have been the ideal way to force Randy Lerner’s hand in the transfer market, with the American owner still looking to sell the club, but it has restored a sense of excitement before of the upcoming campaign. Believe it or not, Aston Villa are well placed to be the surprise package of the Premier League.
The reinvestment of funds accrued from the sales of Benteke and Delph were always going to be key and Villa’s approach has caught many by surprise. Following in the footsteps of Newcastle United – who had some degree of success with the strategy before their spectacular collapse last season – Villa seem to have scouted extensively in Ligue 1. The new approach follows the arrival of former Arsenal board members Tom Fox, as CEO, and Hendrik Almstadt, as their first ever director of football.
The signings of Idrissa Gueye, Jordan Amavi and Jordan Ayew – who join Micah Richards, Scott Sinclair and Mark Bunn at the club – have given fans cause for excitement. The club will reportedly tie up a deal for another midfielder, and their third Jordan of the summer, in the form of Nantes midfielder Jordan Veretout. With versatile defender José Ángel Crespo also putting pen to paper and controversial frontman Emmanuel Adebayor tipped to sign before the end of the week, it will be interesting to see how Sherwood lines up his team this season.
Of the new arrivals from France’s top flight, Gueye looks to be the most ready-made for the Premier League. The Lille midfielder’s high-energy approach makes him an ideal replacement for Delph. The announcement of his arrival came before the former captain’s unexpected decision to stay at the club; a decision that stuck for just six days.
The two are comparable in a number of ways. They have similar frames and are both very athletic, but where Delph was given more of an attacking licence under Sherwood, Gueye will add extra bite to the midfield. The 25-year-old Senegal international was Lille’s star performer last season, earning a higher rating than any of his regular team-mates (7.41). With a solid 86.4% pass accuracy from 63.6 passes per game, he is well equipped to make the transition to the Premier League both technically and physically.
Veretout, at just 22, is understandably more of a raw talent. Nevertheless the Under-20 World Cup winner, fielded in a midfield alongside Paul Pogba and Geoffrey Kondogbia for France in 2013, is the talisman for an improving Nantes side. With a more modest rating of 7.07 last season, that score was still only just shy of Delph’s 7.08 and a significant advance on Tom Cleverley’s lowly 6.64.
Veretout is more adventurous than Gueye and would probably be given more of an attacking role. He scored seven goals and provided six assists last season, and is capable of driving forward with the ball and carving out goalscoring opportunities. His average of two key passes per game in 2014-15 was significantly better than any Villa player.
Amavi looks set to be the solution to a long-standing issue at left-back, where he should usurp Aly Cissokho and Kieran Richardson in the ranks. The 21-year-old had a sensational campaign with Nice last season, earning a place in our Ligue 1 team of the season courtesy of a rating (7.74), which was second only to Zlatan Ibrahimovic in France’s top tier. He made more interceptions (165) than any other player in Europe’s top five leagues, always looks to play on the front foot and is able to instigate attacks from deep.
The signing of Ayew from Lorient perhaps represents the biggest gamble for Villa, with most observers in France suggesting that they were forced to pay over the odds for the Ghana international. He may have ended the 2014-15 campaign with a respectable 12 goals, but that doesn’t really tell the whole story. Given that Ayew attempted the second most shots in the league (112), a conversion rate of 10.7% was pretty weak. The 23-year-old was dispossessed (four times per game) and conceded possession due to a poor touch more often than any other player in Europe’s top leagues.
He’s still very young and has plenty of potential but Ayew is far from the finished article and may both frustrate and delight in equal measure. The fact that a loan move for Adebayor is picking up pace comes as little surprise then, with the experienced striker likely to lead the line and mentor his junior team-mate in the process.
If, as expected, Villa complete the signings of Veretout and Adebayor in the coming days, Sherwood has every right to be happy with his lot and will be aiming to offload any deadwood before dipping into the market again. It will be a new-look side regardless, and a real departure from the days of Paul Lambert. That, for Villa fans, is just what the doctor ordered, even if it means losing the players that kept the club afloat under the former manager.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
Re: Great article in the Grauniad
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 12:53:58 PM »
Good article and pretty much spot on

Online KRS

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 12:56:29 PM »
Good confidence boosting article...lets just hope all the new players and those returning from injury can gel as a team.

The potential lineup doesn't include Ayew but does assume that the Veretout deal is all but signed, sealed and delivered...and our squad is looking much stronger when you consider the likes of Sinclair, Gabby, Ayew, Crespo and Kozak will be on the bench.

Having been to Walsall and Wolves, if we complete the signing of Veretout then I'd still like to see another CB and RB being to tighten and improve things at the back, and I'm not entirely convinced by our forward options even with the potential signing of Adebayor.

I'd say the overall squad is looking stronger than last season, but the first XI is still mid table-ish, but if we could get a few more experienced players down the spine of the team and at RB, then we could be pushing top half.

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 12:57:35 PM »
Agreed Mr E and a good summary of the transfer activity thus far. I would add to the air of optimism that I certainly have by looking forward to the developing talent of Jack Grealish and more game time for Gil. The latter could be the surprise package giving us a similar play maker that the top 5 teams seem to have in their ranks.

However probably the most defining difference will be a structured and measured approach to coaching and taking players beyond their normal competence. It will be at the very least a very interesting season.

Offline The Charmer

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 12:59:29 PM »
Good read - agree with pretty much all of that.

I was happy when we didn't manage to persuade Cleverly to stick around and, unsurprisingly, those stats (and my memory) seem to support that view.

If nothing else, the summations of the incoming French players give me cause for optimism.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 01:10:35 PM »
It is another voice in the 'hmm, is ayew the answer' camp.

Good article tho he is a villa fan

I'm really uncertain how this is going to pan out. Could finish anywhere between 8th and 20th

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 01:39:30 PM »
Positive comments from City fans about Richards Too (below the main article).

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 02:02:37 PM »
Just the sort of article which hasn't been written about us since the MON era. Reading it make me salivate and get excited in equal measure. Its all great PR for us and sends out a message they we are really trying to improve. Im sick of reading all other fans saying we are a joke club and deserve to get relegated. They are right, but it hurts.

just hope we make all the signings suggested now or it will be a let down

Offline *shellac*

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 02:10:32 PM »
I will be happy with 40 points by mid April 2016.  The forthcoming season is a transitional one, probably more to expect in 2016/2017.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 02:37:57 PM »
I think one thing's for certain; it's not going to be boring this season.

The nature of the signings, looking at their attributes, suggests he's going to try and take the high tempo play that gave us the run that saved us up a notch.  If it comes off and he manages to get the team playing as he appears to want to, we could be giving quite a few teams a bloody nose or 2.

Flip side is I don't think that there'll be much middle ground, it will either be a joy to watch, or watching through your fingers, possibly from half to half.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 02:50:41 PM »
Interesting article and its made me a little less pessimistic about the season ahead.

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 03:10:59 PM »
Just a note of caution, the author is a Villa fan, so likely to have a little bit of bias!

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 03:15:56 PM »
Laurence is a fan, and a good follow on the tweeter.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 04:54:36 PM »
I spat out my tea with laughter at the headline. Now it makes sense, it was written by a Villa fan. A hugely optimistic one. I sometimes wish I thought like that when it came to Villa. I guess years of crap has beat it out of me...

Interesting statistics though.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 07:28:58 PM »
Well, it might be true or it might not be. The team does feel a bit refreshed though, and it's nice to have interesting signings to look forward to seeing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal