collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: London Lions (the originals)  (Read 22982 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Re: London Lions (the originals)
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 07:26:12 AM »
No Alex!

Offline Newportfred

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 08:11:20 AM »
Memories.  Although I have never lived in London, I used to meet up with the lads at different games, in particular Nick and Dave who were good friends of mine.  I lived about halfway between London and Birmingham and used the train prior to 1976 when I learned to drive. We always met up in The Aston Tavern early, I still can't believe today how I never lost my licence. Have not heard from Nick in over 30years but someone that I know reckons he still lived in the same area, about 12 years ago. Dave and his wife are my 2 girls godparents.  I lost touch with them about 20 years ago but since have been in contact with in the last 2 years and they are both well. Memory of Frank was he always was moaning about Frank Carrodus 

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 09:35:11 AM »
Fred slightly off topic  what was the name of the Mod who Dave and Nick drank with in the Aston Tavern.

Both of them would regale me with stories of the 3rd Division days (I was so jealous).  Dave I remember started off in South London and later moved to not too far from West Ham's ground, Nick in Barnet where we used to go before North London games and Clive the builder lived in South West London. 

Frank and his raincoat!  By the way I loved  Frank Carrodus for his running and non stop effort.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 10:09:26 AM »
If it was Nick who came from Barnet was he a short bloke, a bit scruffy and seemed to be older than the rest, with longish hair? Others he used to travel with included a younger lad from Luton, a heavy-drinking tall bloke who wrote a couple of H&V pieces some years back and someone who worked on the railways (I think that was Lance) and his brother. This was in the mid-eighties and I've not seen any of them since.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 10:19:48 AM »
I always thought Lance was from Northampton - he was only around my age but had a heart problem in his teens a good   Villain.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 12:16:13 PM »
I always thought Lance was from Northampton - he was only around my age but had a heart problem in his teens a good   Villain.

Northampton does ring a bell.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 01:30:33 PM »
I used to go to games with the London Lions in the mid 80s, though I would scarper to the Crown & Cushion to meet mates once we landed at New St. Back then it was run by Sue.

I was amazed at the time how many were from the SE and had chosen Villa as opposed to Brummies living down south.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 01:50:50 PM »
I think Sue is now living in Rugby but still works in London!  How did it all fizzle out Pat?  I was abroad at the time in Aus

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 03:14:45 PM »
I think Sue is now living in Rugby but still works in London!  How did it all fizzle out Pat?  I was abroad at the time in Aus

Would that be the Sue O'Brien who worked/works for the Football Foundation? From memory, the club stated to falter when cheap individual rail tickets came in and struggled on until the early/mid-nineties. I think the final blow was when someone on the committee took their money for a good long rest.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 04:16:16 PM »
That's the lady,  she  is married to Tim.  And small world she is mates outside football with another of  my friends.  In its heyday we would have 40/50 on the train.  Went everywhere and went to Turkey when  it was considered  an out of the way place for the UEFA  cup game with Alan  Cox (think there were less than 80 fans in total).

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2015, 06:15:21 PM »

I left to live in France in 1988 and I never heard much of them after, though they did produce an annual newsletter.

Sue Wells did indeed marry Tim O'Brien and I last saw her in the Bier Keller on Old St with Chico in 2007, when somebody had the foresight to organise a 25th anniversary showing of the Bayern game in a German bar.

Which Turkey game did you go to  - Fenerbahce, Besiktas or Trabzonspor? I bet that was a cracking trip....

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 09:17:45 PM »
Fenerbahce - As I said I went over with Alan Cox - photos were in the Villa Times and the Programme.

Also there was John another Villa fan from the South East who used to make  his own way to games.    Have you any news regarding Clive a massive Villa fan who was the sensible one in comparison to some of us. 

At the beginning of the London Lions Shearer would have been happy to have run an empty trip rather than have any of  us on it.  An old fella who we knew  Lionel had to have a few words with him to let him know the score.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2015, 11:56:42 PM »
Fenerbahce - As I said I went over with Alan Cox - photos were in the Villa Times and the Programme.

Also there was John another Villa fan from the South East who used to make  his own way to games.    Have you any news regarding Clive a massive Villa fan who was the sensible one in comparison to some of us. 

At the beginning of the London Lions Shearer would have been happy to have run an empty trip rather than have any of  us on it.  An old fella who we knew Lionel had to have a few words with him to let him know the score.

Lionel was mentioned in the Paget Rangers pre-season friendly programme in about 1988. The editor had got to know him during the third division trips - I think he was from Leatherhead.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 07:18:59 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline Sunny Villa

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2015, 07:15:42 PM »

that was me and I was only 16 at the time ha ha.

Shows how time affects people nowadays I just would not look to get involved unless some t--at actually had a personal dig at me.

Still love the Villa.  I was in Australia off and on for 20 odd years.  Makes you even fonder of the Villa.  Got to say I prefer the old days and the craic.  Too many plassie fans.  Funny how I cringe at some of our support then I suppose I was just the same when I was there age.

Haha. I was right by you that day .   used to stand at the back in the middle .  Cockney Dave was just behind us .   

Haha long time ago .   I remember exchanging pleasantries with the West Ham media star .    he was a unit

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2015, 07:29:17 PM »
My only remembrance of Leatherhead is a young me in tear up with their fans. Cheltenham Town getting beaten in a monsoon away to Hastings and Leatherhead were away to another Hastings club who played at the top rather than bottom if the hill.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal