collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why I am at Aston Villa today  (Read 2689 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Why I am at Aston Villa today
« on: July 14, 2015, 03:38:18 PM »
Our resident historian has uneathged this gem. Thank you, Mr Russell.

Of all the big clubs which stand for the most in the football world, the biggest in any sense of the word without the slightest doubt is Aston Villa.  Possibly the partisans of other clubs might dissent with that statement but none has ever held or even holds today quite the same place in the minds of the great mass of followers of football as Aston Villa.

Aston Villa all along the line have stood for something more than a football team which could be depended on to be somewhere around when the honours are being handed out.  The Villa have meant more than any club because they have always stood for what was the highest and best in the pure footballing sense.  A team playing real football, of a club which has had in its ranks the most accomplished scientist of the game.

It may be argued Villa have not always lived up to the highest traditions of the club but they have always struggled after the highest.  Their motto all along the line has been, ‘only the best’.
They have striven to be the best, to find the men who were most likely to live up to the old traditions.
The club has never been run by the flourishing of the cheque book, though at times the club could have adopted this policy.  Villa have never bought a player simply for the sake of buying.  When they have dire need of a man for this or that position they have taken a look around and done without that man for a spell rather than be satisfied with a player they did not particularly want or about whom they were not completely satisfied. 

Most of their buying has been discrete. Just after the war when danger of relegation threatened they took the plunge and acquired Frank Barson.  At the end of that season they were in a respectable position in the league and once again had the cup in their possession.

Just as Aston Villa has stood for good in the playing sense they have the courage of their convictions.  Some years ago they decided as a principle that players should reside in the vicinity of Birmingham.  Seeing that several of their stars lived far from the city such a decision was not taken lightly.  But they have made it stick in spite of losing nearly half a team of internationals. 

As a boy and man George Ramsay has been with the club for 50 years.  The question being asked is are Villa living in the past or will they be a power in the future?  The men who are with the club today are not, as a team, the most accomplished that has ever appeared in the colours but the bones of as great Aston Villa team are there.

The players of Aston Villa can never have any complaint about their accommodation, the dressing rooms at Villa Park are second to none, and include implements calculated to make for physical efficiency. And the arena itself is just wonderful.    

Devon & Exeter Gazette, 21st September 1929

Offline exigo

Re: Why I am at Aston Villa today
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 03:40:43 PM »
We can stick that on the dressing room wall at Wembley next season.

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 04:34:25 PM »
I watched the FA Cup Final on my own at my place in Wales (my choice to do so - didn't want the risk of any possible interruptions from Mrs Stafford and family) - and was absolutely distraught come 7.30pm - didn't want to stay in on my own - but didn't want company either, so went to the local Indian for a comfort balti with first a bottle of red and then beer.

Can't remember the exact words I put in a text to several people - but it was to the effect of

. We're the most beautifully named team in the world
. We play in the most beautiful colours ever invented
. We've got the best most unique wonderful home stadium
. Liverpool and Chelsea have only got little uninteresting grounds compared to us
. Man Citeh and Arsenal have never been champions of Europe
. We've beat Man Utd in both an FA Cup Final and a League Cup Final

so without doubt - we are the greatest team in the world (yes a biast opinion I know but it's still right)

VTID 

Offline peter w

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 12:21:25 AM »
I love reading stuff like that. Will be shared amongst many people tomorrow.

Offline wozwebs

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 12:27:30 AM »
Fantastic!

Offline villabear

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 06:37:43 AM »
I watched the FA Cup Final on my own at my place in Wales (my choice to do so - didn't want the risk of any possible interruptions from Mrs Stafford and family) - and was absolutely distraught come 7.30pm - didn't want to stay in on my own - but didn't want company either, so went to the local Indian for a comfort balti with first a bottle of red and then beer.

Can't remember the exact words I put in a text to several people - but it was to the effect of

. We're the most beautifully named team in the world
. We play in the most beautiful colours ever invented
. We've got the best most unique wonderful home stadium
. Liverpool and Chelsea have only got little uninteresting grounds compared to us
. Man Citeh and Arsenal have never been champions of Europe
. We've beat Man Utd in both an FA Cup Final and a League Cup Final

so without doubt - we are the greatest team in the world (yes a biast opinion I know but it's still right)

VTID 

"John Gregory "There's an aura about this club, a sense of history and tradition. Even the name is beautifully symmetrical, with five letters in each word."

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 10:28:46 AM »
It just seems to justify the case when we've got such special supporters as the 2nd Heir to the Throne, the Prime Minister and the former Governor of the Bank of England, all of whom clearly support the team because of who we are.  Even Uncle Doug must have been in his 40s when he took over and has clearly had a love affair ever since - the man is in his 90s now and yet rarely misses a match.

I first went to our wonderful stadium as a 9 year old in 1966/1967 (obviously it was a quite a bit different then) - but I will never forget walking up the famous  staircase outside the old Trinity Road and also seeing inside the ground for the first time and it was an impact that has never left me in nearly 50 years.

I'll never forget the days of averaging 30,000 in two 3rd division seasons and quite often wonder how many Chelsea, Man Utd/Citeh, Liverpool shirts we'd see around here if they were to fall from grace.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 11:31:30 AM »
It just seems to justify the case when we've got such special supporters as the 2nd Heir to the Throne, the Prime Minister and the former Governor of the Bank of England, all of whom clearly support the team because of who we are.  Even Uncle Doug must have been in his 40s when he took over and has clearly had a love affair ever since - the man is in his 90s now and yet rarely misses a match.

I first went to our wonderful stadium as a 9 year old in 1966/1967 (obviously it was a quite a bit different then) - but I will never forget walking up the famous  staircase outside the old Trinity Road and also seeing inside the ground for the first time and it was an impact that has never left me in nearly 50 years.

I'll never forget the days of averaging 30,000 in two 3rd division seasons and quite often wonder how many Chelsea, Man Utd/Citeh, Liverpool shirts we'd see around here if they were to fall from grace.

DOUG ALERT!!!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal