collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Pre-Season Friendly Match Thread Compendium  (Read 72121 times)

Offline Matt Collins

Re: Pre-Season Friendly Match Thread Compendium
« Reply #1065 on: August 02, 2015, 07:51:58 PM »
It was a  bit of a combo. Weak shape at times. Poor marking / closing down.

The full match is on avtv if interested. We played 442 then 433. Thought we were massively better w 433.

Veretout wasn't amazing but he was good enough to convince me he should play in a three next week. Richards' and gueye's, physicality definitely gives us extra. Westwood continues to play the ball more quickly and forwards and is looking really good

Kozak had a very poor game. Ayew was a bit better without looking awesome.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #1066 on: August 02, 2015, 08:33:42 PM »
I just want to note Jack Woodward really can be incredibly irritating. I swear he is getting worse. Jack STOP adding your stupid little asides, they are not good enough to be interesting, Up your game to Ray Hudson level bollocks or ramp it down a level.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1067 on: August 02, 2015, 09:57:48 PM »
Having seen seasons where the pre-season results are good but the season is poor and pre-seasons which are poor but the season is good, I don't tend to feel comfortable when we're doing well in pre-season. I've not been at ease where it's looked like we were doing well.

Offline peter w

« Reply #1068 on: August 02, 2015, 10:14:51 PM »
I wouldn't read into it if it wasn't for the fact that we defended like a team of drunks last season too

I understand what you are saying but you should not be putting your body on the line in a friendly.  I didn't see the game yesterday so I cannot comment how poor the defending was or whether it was similar lapses to what we have come to see over the last few years.

Exactly. You're more likely to be closer to having your 'game head' on when attacking than defending as you won't throw your body in the way of the ball, or go crunching into 50/50 tackles.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #1069 on: August 02, 2015, 10:24:17 PM »
I just want to note Jack Woodward really can be incredibly irritating. I swear he is getting worse. Jack STOP adding your stupid little asides, they are not good enough to be interesting, Up your game to Ray Hudson level bollocks or ramp it down a level.
Jack read out a Tweet wishing triplets a happy birthday, telling us they were all 7 years old.
Just about sums him up in my oppinion

Online GarTomas

« Reply #1070 on: August 02, 2015, 11:26:55 PM »
Jack read out a Tweet wishing triplets a happy birthday, telling us they were all 7 years old.
Just about sums him up in my oppinion

I'm looking forward to the season proper where I'm only subjected to Jack when absolutely necessary and not every minute of a Villa game.

He certainly struggles more without an 'expert' summariser and clearly feels the need to fill the silence with anything.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #1071 on: August 02, 2015, 11:34:34 PM »
He really does. Some gems from this pre season

"Well thats his first goal this pre season but they all count to his tally"
"We can't show full premier league games, the rights don't work that way." (After someone asked him if we would be showing the full PL games ..... just like Chelsea does)
"The kick off whistle was literally still hovering in the East Midlands air when the goal was scored" (After Forest scored 30 seconds after the whistle blew).

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1072 on: August 02, 2015, 11:41:34 PM »

Jack's annoying but he's no Ray Hudson, and the mere thought of Jack "elevating" his game to that level makes me consider smashing things randomly as I walk through the house.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #1073 on: August 03, 2015, 07:07:57 AM »
Jack Woodward is an awful commentator.

Offline gervilla

« Reply #1074 on: August 03, 2015, 07:40:44 PM »
Jack Woodward is an awful commentator.
You have never watched  Premier League highlights(before they dropped it to cut costs) on Irish T.V. Jack would fit right in.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal