collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ditch the Drum  (Read 30860 times)

Offline bruisedshins

Re: Ditch the Drum
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2015, 01:06:37 PM »
As as been said before Palace haven't got a good atmosphere, theirs is way too orchestrated.

Well if someone said it it must be true Dave. Are you able to explain how singing and clapping at football is not an atmopshere? If you're suggesting that an atmosphere cannot exist if it is orchestrated, that is if people attempt to make it, then are you suggesting there is no atmosphere at the Allianz Arena, the Stadio Olimipico or any other ground where organised supporters groups support their team?

Offline bruisedshins

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2015, 01:11:25 PM »
the atmosphere at Selhurst Park is quality, it's probbably the ground where the noise and passion of the fans is most noted by pundits and journalists and having a drum there definitely helps.

Support from the fans should be natural, artificial cheerleading is not required. Please get rid of the drum

Artificial cheerleading? Is that supposed to be an insult? Are you describing people who bleed claret and blue and have supported this club for years home and away cheerleaders? Are you suggetsing we're paid by the club and only turn up on match day because we're told to do so? If that's what your implying then that's low.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2015, 01:13:48 PM »
As as been said before Palace haven't got a good atmosphere, theirs is way too orchestrated.

Well if someone said it it must be true Dave. Are you able to explain how singing and clapping at football is not an atmopshere? If you're suggesting that an atmosphere cannot exist if it is orchestrated, that is if people attempt to make it, then are you suggesting there is no atmosphere at the Allianz Arena, the Stadio Olimipico or any other ground where organised supporters groups support their team?

I didn't say it was no atmosphere, I said it wasn't a good atmosphere and certainly nothing like the cauldron it's made out to be.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2015, 01:15:55 PM »
I think it's a good thing.

You're entitled to your opinion. However, this thread, the thread we had on the subject before and the rections of people I've spoken to and sat near, seem to suggest that the majority of fans don't like it. You're, effectively, forcing the drum on fans and ignoring others' opinions.

Why not respect the wishes of the majority, ditch the drum, and continue contributing to the atmosphere in positive ways?

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2015, 01:18:55 PM »
Are you suggetsing we're paid by the club and only turn up on match day because we're told to do so? If that's what your implying then that's low.

Not sure how you read being paid by the club or doing what they say into my comment.

You've supported the club for years and now you use a drum. I, along with what appears to be the majority on here, don't like the drum.

In your own post you said that the drum was to maintain the rhythm and keep the songs/chants going longer.
Songs/chants should come and go with the natural flow of the game and the mood of the crowd. Therefore what you are doing is artificial cheerleading.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 01:22:37 PM by UK Redsox »

Offline bruisedshins

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2015, 01:21:11 PM »
Are you suggetsing we're paid by the club and only turn up on match day because we're told to do so? If that's what your implying then that's low.

Not sure how you read that into my comment.

Yes, you've supported the club for years and now you use a drum. I, along with what appears to be the majority on here, don't like the drum.

You refered to us as "cheerleaders", I pressume you mean those people who are paid to attend sporting events and wave pom-poms around.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2015, 01:24:32 PM »
Manufactured to me means music played in from the public address system, song sheets (I've never seen any) thousands of all the same plastic flags, corporately made banners etc

Not a drum or a homemade flag or banner

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2015, 01:24:52 PM »

Yes, you've supported the club for years and now you use a drum. I, along with what appears to be the majority on here, don't like the drum.

You refered to us as "cheerleaders", I pressume you mean those people who are paid to attend sporting events and wave pom-poms around.

That's only one form of cheerleading. There's also the people you see at some European and MLS matches, who stand with their backs to the game while coordinating the crowd singing/chanting.

Then, at the next level down from that, is the use of drums to, as you said yourself, maintain rhythm and prevent chants from naturally petering out

Offline bruisedshins

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2015, 01:30:42 PM »

That's only one form of cheerleading. There's also the people you see at some European and MLS matches, who stand with their backs to the game while coordinating the crowd singing/chanting.

Then, at the next level down from that, is the use of drums to, as you said yourself, maintain rhythm and prevent chants from naturally petering out

The word you're looking for then is ultras.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2015, 01:36:46 PM »
...and the Ultra with the drum is therefore a Cheerleader

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2015, 01:37:09 PM »
I don't like the drum either, it's not needed.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2015, 01:39:56 PM »
I find it funny that "cheerleader" is seen as an insult. Maybe my testosterone levels are low.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2015, 01:40:29 PM »
Get rid.

It sounds like a 90 minute soundcheck.

Sutton Coldfield Town bought one to Halesowen a couple of seasons ago, on a cold Tuesday night with 300 odd in the ground, it sounded like a heavy press in a factory.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2015, 01:51:53 PM »
I find it funny that "cheerleader" is seen as an insult. Maybe my testosterone levels are low.

Mmmmmmm....... Minka Kelly in 'Friday Night Lights'

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2015, 02:05:31 PM »
The best general sustained atmosphere (ie not just after a goal  but during a whole game)  I have heard at any away game in the past 5 years was Palace away in April 2014. I don't like the place, and I have no soft spot for them whatsoever, but based on attending away games and listening to radio commentary of matches they are one of the few Premier league teams with good vocal support at home.

You can argue that the Holmesdale support is manufactured, but it definitely creates an atmosphere.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal