collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 12:00:06 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 24, 2024, 11:56:03 PM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Hillbilly
[April 24, 2024, 11:46:00 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[April 24, 2024, 11:04:47 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[April 24, 2024, 10:35:53 PM]

NSWE Investment by PeterWithesShin
[April 24, 2024, 10:20:26 PM]

MOTD by Brazilian Villain
[April 24, 2024, 10:01:13 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[April 24, 2024, 09:46:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Goalkeepers  (Read 13810 times)

Online Broadlee

Villa Goalkeepers
« on: June 19, 2015, 09:29:35 AM »
With all the comments recently about Brad Guzan and Shay Given I got to thinking about the keepers I remember watching since I was gratefully taken by my uncle (1962 ish) to watch Aston Villa, bit of a roller-coaster ride but there is no alternative out there.

The names I could bring to mind were: (there may be others)   

Nigel Simms, Colin Withers, John Dunn,Jim Cumbes, Jake Findley,John Burridge, Jimmy Rimmer, Nigel Spink, Michael Oaks, Mark Bosnich, Thomas Sorensen, Brad Friedel, Brad Guzan, Shay Given...

For me I like a keeper to dominate the 18 yard box, balls into it are his and the defence is organised and aware of his presence.. as well as a few forwards. But I can't really remember who filled that totally those stand out for me were Withers I recall as quite domineering, Cumbes was a big guy in his league was one of the better ones, Burridge was nuts!! but had some great moments, an entertainer, good keeper when he wasnt doing hand stands in the box and walking around on his hands  ;D The we had Jimmy Rimmer, he was occasionally touching on being the best in the country, again a great shot stopper but needed Evans and McNaught, Nigel was a solid enough keeper, Bosnich was a step up and produced some great performances etc.... but in recent times Friedel has been the best and closest to my ideal keeper.
Brad G and Shay I'm not convinced and we need to move on. Guzan has made some great saves and some great gaffs as well but I'm always left a little frustrated by him and his decision making...frustrating...
So where do we go from here?
Tom Heaton? Jed Steer?, Big decisions by TS to be made here but with Tony Parks along side hopefully they can call it right.
Any thoughts any particular memories? I'd love to read your views

One Club, One Team, One ASTON VILLA Football Club 1874 est.

Offline Damo70

Re: Villa Goalkeepers
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 09:51:31 AM »
Having watched them all from Rimmer onwards Bosnich was the best for me. Although, to put it politely, his kicking left a little bit to be desired.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 10:07:18 AM »
With all the comments recently about Brad Guzan and Shay Given I got to thinking about the keepers I remember watching since I was gratefully taken by my uncle (1962 ish) to watch Aston Villa, bit of a roller-coaster ride but there is no alternative out there.

Nigel Simms, Colin Withers, John Dunn,Jim Cumbes, Jake Findley,John Burridge, Jimmy Rimmer, Nigel Spink, Michael Oaks, Mark Bosnich, Thomas Sorensen, Brad Friedel, Brad Guzan, Shay Given...

For me I like a keeper to dominate the 18 yard box, balls into it are his and the defence is organised and aware of his presence.. as well as a few forwards. But I can't really remember who filled that totally those stand out for me were Withers I recall as quite domineering, Cumbes was a big guy in his league was one of the better ones, Burridge was nuts!! but had some great moments, an entertainer, good keeper when he wasnt doing hand stands in the box and walking around on his hands  ;D The we had Jimmy Rimmer, he was occasionally touching on being the best in the country, again a great shot stopper but needed Evans and McNaught, Nigel was a solid enough keeper, Bosnich was a step up and produced some great performances etc.... but in recent times Friedel has been the best and closest to my ideal keeper.
Brad G and Shay I'm not convinced and we need to move on. Guzan has made some great saves and some great gaffs as well but I'm always left a little frustrated by him and his decision making...frustrating...
Tom Heaton? Jed Steer?, Big decisions by TS to be made here but with Tony Parks along side hopefully they can call it right.

Missed out David James and Peter Schmeichel in your list.  High profile mistake in the FA Cup final aside, David James was good during his time with us.  He had it all as a keeper - athletic, commanded his box well and very good kicking.  He was just prone to the odd lapse of concentration and confidence, but didn't have too many of those during his time with us.

Offline nigel

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 10:07:54 AM »
I started from John Dunne.
Remember when Jimmy Cumbes his first kick left us gaping. We'd been used to Dunne just clearing half way and here was a guy who was putting it just outside the opposition area. Yes, Cumbes dropped a few clangers, but, generally was safe and commanding.
Jake Findley was never given a chance, which was a shame as he'd always looked pretty decent.
Budgie, as you say, was nuts. I think he was only 5'9" so was too small to dominate the area. Good reactions and a good shot stopper.
Jimmy Rimmer was brilliant. Unfortunate to be around when England had a few top drawer keepers.
Nigel Spink, again, brilliant. Underrated by many. He was unfortunate that the great team we had was broken up.
You forgot Les Seally. Understandable, because he was crap. How BFR preferred him to Spink still baffles me.
Mark Bosnich, was good, but not that good. A step up from Budgie, but well below Rimmer and Spink.
Didn't see much of Sorrenson.
Same for David James.
Brad Freidel, great keeper. Proved that if you look after yourself and train hard it will pay benefits.
Shay Given, past his best by the time we got him. Very good keeper, but, not great under crosses.
Brad Guzan. Underrated. Kicking let him down at times. Not given the credit he deserves at times.

Offline nuninho

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 10:08:52 AM »
David James is the best keeper I've seen down at Villa in my 35 years.... I haven't seen a keeper since who has commanded the box.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 10:10:40 AM »
Mervyn Day hasn't had a mention. I thought he was pretty decent without being one of the best I've seen play for us.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 10:11:57 AM »
Bosnich the best since I started going in 94. His kicking was his only weak point. Oh, and his salute down at the lane.

Offline nigel

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 10:12:42 AM »
Remember John Gregory saying, when questioned about David James, "For every time he drops a ball he'll make 10 excellent saves. But you never see them!"
Unfortunately will always be remembered for dropping the ball on DiMateo's head

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 10:18:52 AM »
Off the top of my head at the moment, (I'm about to go out) John Phillips and, for those of us drawing our pensions, who could ever forget Evan Williams?

Online Broadlee

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 10:28:23 AM »
David James is the best keeper I've seen down at Villa in my 35 years.... I haven't seen a keeper since who has commanded the box.

Agreed, totally forgot about David and don't know why, probably blocked him following the FA Cup Final... but as you say thinking about it I agree must be one of the Villa best. Apologies David, probably the onset of dementia,  it helps .. sometimes i.e. Arse 4 Villa 0 et al

Offline Boz

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 10:59:27 AM »

As an older fan, how about Joe Rutherford, Alan Wakeman and Keith Jones (Welsh international I believe)

Offline montague

• GM : 13.12.2015
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 01:22:54 PM »
No Geoff Crudginton or Tommy Hughes?

Offline Breezeblock

• GM : 29.11.2024
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 01:30:53 PM »
No Scott Frank Carson either but again understandable overlooking him.  I've only just got my mattress dry after witnessing some of his performances.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 01:49:06 PM »

Agreed, totally forgot about David and don't know why, probably blocked him following the FA Cup Final... but as you say thinking about it I agree must be one of the Villa best. Apologies David, probably the onset of dementia,  it helps .. sometimes i.e. Arse 4 Villa 0 et al

I was also a big David James fan.  Very commanding. Fantastic shot stopper.  Was bitterly disappointed to see him leave.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 01:55:39 PM »
Best - Rimmer
Worst - Enckleman / Kiraly

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal