collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:13:56 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:13:56 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Have we got a good squad? (dated August 20, 2014, 09:37:29 PM)  (Read 2730 times)

Offline Londonvilla

I posted the text below on August 20, 2014, 09:37:29 PM as I am always keen to look back at what i said in the past
I am happy with what I said about Fabian and Jack, but the rest was more hit and miss.
At the end of the day look where we finish in the league and how we played in the cup...... We have not got a good squad.

Is anything still true?

"Have we got a good squad?

I live in London and was asked at work, by a West Ham fan whether I thought, as he did, that we would have a squad which was good enough for the top half of the premiership. I replied no we have average players, who were capable of performing well against the big-money teams but played poorly against everybody else. He responded by saying he thought the Villa squad on paper looked solid, because it had a mix of youth and experience, and now had  big hard men at the back, a hard tackling midfield player, and a big hard bloke upfront, whereas last season we had only one big hard man at the back, light weights in midfield, and a big bloke upfront.

Thinking about it and looking at the squad I find myself beginning to get a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach. I recognise the feeling I think it’s what top doctors, scientists and philosophers call hope.

Let’s look at the squad.

Brad – is in the top five goalkeepers in the division

Alan Hutton – was probably one of the worst footballers I’ve ever seen, yet never moaned or slagged off the club and his performance in preseason was fantastic.

Philippe Senderock – when we signed him I nearly burst into tears, after his performance at Stoke I nearly burst into tears but this time, tears of joy. If he can perform at this level, most of the season I for one will be a happy man.

Ron Vlaar – concrete has enhanced his reputation due to his World Cup performances the issue is which club will come in for him before the transfer deadline window closes.

Jores Okore – just watched the highlights from the reserve game, this man is some player and will be better than concrete and Senderock. If Ron does go then we have a ready-made replacement.

Aly Cissokho – how rubbish was he for Liverpool, and how good was he against Stoke? His crosses from the left were fantastic

Ashley Westwood – we’ve seen glimpses of what Ashley is able to do, but now that he may get to play further forward his accurate passing will be something I will be looking forward to seeing.

Fabian Delph – I predict this man will be in the England team for the next European Championships. You heard it here first.

Kieran Richardson – I’m happy with his work rate, I’m happy with his crossing, he’s versatile and can fit into a number of positions. At the end of the day you can’t complain if a player gives you 100%.

Charles N’Zogbia – still looks a little chunky, but he has started to pass the ball to another player in a Villa shirt something he failed to do consistently when he was last in the side. If he can become a team player I will be more than happy to see him get a year’s extension of his contract.

Jack Grealish –OMG just watched the reserve team game and Jack was like young Ronaldo and Lionel Messi rolled into one (if you don’t believe me watch the highlights) please sign him up on a 10 year contract. Jack you were born in England and you can still play international football for England, please help us win the World Cup

Christian Benteke – if he had been playing against Stoke we would have won three nil. With the right support he will score 20+ goals this season.

Our backup and support players are not that bad:

Carlos Sánchez – La Roca could be the difference between turning losses into drawers and draws into wins if he plays anywhere near how he  played in the World Cup.

Andreas, Gabby and Joe Cole all have an important role to play this season

Nathan and Ciaran both can’t be in the team at the same time but people forget that they’re still quite young for defenders.

Gary Gardner, Callum Robinson and Graham Burke are young but very very good players

Anyway I’m not going to go through all of the players but when you look at our first-team and some of the squad players you have to admit that you start to dream.

You must remember supporting Aston Villa is a privilege; however also remember it’s the hope that kills you.

Have we got a good squad? No but we are getting closer

Comments……….."

Is anything still true?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Have we got a good squad? (dated August 20, 2014, 09:37:29 PM)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 02:15:44 PM »
I wished at times Senderos was Senderock because we could have done with him beyond the 7 or 8 games he played for us.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 03:09:25 PM »
N'Zogbia ''If he can become a team player I will be more than happy to see him get a year’s extension of his contract'' You are joking right

Aly Cissokho is one of the worst crosser's i've seen in years no surprise we started scoring more goals with him out of the team.

''Andreas, Gabby and Joe Cole all have an important role to play this season'', hopefully for some other club.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 06:03:26 PM by Goldie.7 »

Offline Londonvilla

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 03:14:03 PM »
N'Zogbia ''If he can become a team player I will be more than happy to see him get a year’s extension of his contract'' You are joking right

Aly Cissokho is one of the worst crosser's i've seen in years no surprises we started scoring more goals with him out of the team.

Andreas, Gabby and Joe Cole all have an important role to play this season, hopefully for some other club.

This was my post in August 2014 read a post before commenting is always the best policy

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 03:48:21 PM »
I may have missed that and read the bold part first.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 04:00:44 PM »
[q =Londonvilla link=topic=54279.msg2854628#msg2854628 date=1433682499]

Let’s look at the squad.

Brad – is in the top five goalkeepers in the division (not the PL division)

Alan Hutton – looked good in a dreadfull team

Philippe Senderock –  made out of cardboard

Ron Vlaar – concrete, the only thing concrete is that he is off.

Jores Okore – Good Potential

Aly Cissokho –Shocking player

Ashley Westwood – Squad player has some good games.
Fabian Delph –  in the England team

Kieran Richardson – Journeyman, will do a job, that's it.

Charles N’Zogbia – Has to go

Jack Grealish –Great Prospect

Christian Benteke – Going

Our backup and support players are not that bad: Hilarious

Carlos Sánchez – La Cock up

Andreas, Gabby and Joe Cole all have an important role, hopefully not for us.

Nathan and Ciaran -Squad players.

Gary Gardner, Callum Robinson and Graham Burke are young but very very good players- we don't know yet

Anyway I’m not going to go through all of the players but when you look at our first-team and some of the squad players you have to admit that you start to dream. Of Surviving again

Have we got a good squad? No but we are getting closer
No we will lose 3 starters from the team that finished 1 place above relegation

Comments……….."

Is anything still true? None of it was
[/quote]

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 04:26:30 PM »
Other than Benteke, Delph and Grealish there isn't another player in the Villa squad that I would mind leaving the club. Sinclair has promise, as does Clark and Okore, Gil and Sanchez as well I suppose, so keep those as squad players. The rest are relegation fodder, hence the constant battles with relegation. So much hope for many of the others but that has gone now for me. Given, Zog, Wiemann, Agbonlahor, Sissokho, Richardson, Westwood etc al, will not take the club forward.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 06:15:32 PM »
Other than Benteke, Delph and Grealish there isn't another player in the Villa squad that I would mind leaving the club. Sinclair has promise, as does Clark and Okore, Gil and Sanchez as well I suppose, so keep those as squad players. The rest are relegation fodder, hence the constant battles with relegation. So much hope for many of the others but that has gone now for me. Given, Zog, Wiemann, Agbonlahor, Sissokho, Richardson, Westwood etc al, will not take the club forward.
Is the right answer.

Online edgysatsuma89

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 08:29:02 PM »
No.

Offline levico

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 12:28:02 PM »

Absolutely spot on.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 01:03:38 PM »

Absolutely spot on.

Not quite, For me the worth keeping list is longer than that, you can add:

Guzan, Steer, Vlaar, Bacuna and Kozak.

I make that:

GK
Guzan
Steer

Def
Clark
Okore
Vlaar
Bacuna

Mid
Delph
Sanchez
Grealish
Sinclair
Gil

Attack
Benteke
Kozak

On top of that I'd keep Westwood, Gardner, Robinson (this one is more a don't loan out rather than a don't sell) and Bennett around for now as I think they can all bring something to the side and are young enough to work with and hopefully get some value for.  I don't mind Baker and Senderos but we can't carry 3 defenders who pick up so many injuries, I'd keep 1 of them with Vlaar my first choice or Baker if Vlaar leaves.

That's 17 players, so room for 8 additions to the squad, so:

Goalkeeper to compete with Guzan.
Right back to compete with Bacuna, hopefully stronger defensively but not a walking yellow card like Hutton.
Left Back for first choice, not seen any links I like.
Centre Back probably an older player as experienced cover but needs a good fitness record, I haven't seen anyone decent linked.
Defensive Mid hopefully a big nasty bugger with pace and strength who can offer something in the air, we need to mix up our midget midfield.
Centre Mid who will get into the box and move defenders around.
Attacking Mid who can play across a couple of positions to alternate with Gil and Grealish who are both going to need breaks.
Striker with genuine pace.

If we can pick up 2-3 frees and then look to spend 4-6m each on the rest I think we can get most of what we need, the main money needs to go into the midfield though for me.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 01:13:08 PM »
Newby- I'd probably keep Richardson and Westwood. Richardson shows glimpses of quality albeit fleetingly. Westwood is a trier and deserves a squad place at least. Agree with the rest though.

Most disappointing is Gabby- faded from a career highlight of 'good player' to totally insignificant in the space of a season and a half.

Huge clearout required this summer. My fear is without a new backer financially, it won't happen and we'll be jumping up and down for joy at 16th come next May after another hard, draining slog of a season, watching mostly shit.

Players I'd like to see given a shot are Gil, Gardner, Kozak and Helenius if he's available.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal